1750 tone to start repeater from EchoLink

1750 tone to start repeater from EchoLink

Lennart Lind
Hi

How do I config SvxLinkServer to send 1750 to start my local repeater?

73 Lennart sm3efs

Re: 1750 tone to start repeater from EchoLink

Tobias Blomberg-3
On Saturday 03 December 2005 18:07, Lennart Lind wrote:
> Hi
>
> How do I config SvxLinkServer to send 1750 to start my local repeater?

Hmmm, sorry... There is no such function in SvxLink at the moment. Nobody have
asked for it until now.

How does it work in the windows EchoLink software?  Is it intelligent about
when to transmit 1750 and when it does not have to?  In that case, how does
it determine when it's needed?

All sound clips that are transmitted by SvxLink is generated from an event
hander script. The event hander scripts are located
at /usr/share/svxlink/sounds/events.d/. So, for example if you want SvxLink
to transmit 1750 when a remote station connects, insert a new playTone row in
function remote_connected:

proc remote_connected {call} {
  playTone 1750 700 1000;
  playMsg "connected";
  spellEchoLinkCallsign $call;
  playSilence 500;
}

This will transmit 1750 for one second (=1000ms) at ampliture 700 (70% of max)
when a remote station connect.

The problem is that you probably want to transmit 1750 at more than one event
and you don't want to transmit it when the repeater is already up. The way to
go would be to create a central TCL function like "Logic::check_tone_send"
which have some logic to determine if 1750 should be sent or not. Then call
that function from all places that might need 1750 to be sent. The above
function would then read:

proc remote_connected {call} {
  Logic::check_tone_send;
  playMsg "connected";
  spellEchoLinkCallsign $call;
  playSilence 500;
}

Another place it would for example be needed is:

proc activating_module {} {
  variable module_name;
  Logic::check_tone_send;
  Module::activating_module $module_name;
}

Pseudo code for the  check_tone_send function would look something like:

proc check_tone_send {} {
  if {it's time to send 1750} {
    playTone 1750 700 1000;
  }
}

But there is still one more problem. There is not an event function for all
things. For example, when the remote station want to transmit audio over the
local node the repeater might already have gone down. It's fixable of course
but it have to be done in the C++ code.

There is a function called Logic::transmit which is called every time the
transmitter is started. Unfortunately, if you put a playTone here it will
appear after the sound clip that triggered the transmission to start.
However, I think this only applies to sound clips and not to for example
received EchoLink audio. So it might be possible to put a check_tone_send
here as well.

proc transmit {is_on} {
  #puts "Turning the transmitter $is_on";
  variable prev_ident;
  variable need_ident;
  if {$is_on && ([clock seconds] - $prev_ident > 5)} {
    set need_ident 1;
  }

  if {$is_on} {
    check_tone_send;
  }
}

But I think that this could cause 1750 to be sent too often unless the logic
for when to send 1750 is really good.

Well, this was a long answer to a short question. I'll check this out when I
find some time to do it.

There is more info about the event handling subsystem at:

        http://svxlink.sourceforge.net/install.php#event-subsystem

73 de SM0SVX / Tobias