Change SQL_DET from VOX to SERIAL

sp2ong
Hi,

I would like switch squelch detector to use SERIAL instead VOX with
GM350 Motorola

I have use serial port RS232 /dev/ttyS0 to PTT on pin RTS and I would
like use CTS pin to
squelch.

My question is how to connect PIN COS from Motorola to CTS ?? Can I
use simple interface
with one transistor where collector is connected to CTS and emitter to
GND  and connect
PIN 8 Motorola COS (HIGH) via 10 kom resistor to base transistor with
one capacitor 100nF  to GND  or other interface ???

Serial port in PC is true serial not via USB converter.

73 Waldek

Re: Change SQL_DET from VOX to SERIAL

Adi Bier-3
Hi,

remember that rs232 is defined to have -3 to -15 volt means logical 1 an
+3 to +15 volt is logical 0. So GND (0 volt) is an undefined level.

You should set one rs232 output to 0 and an other to 1 and switch the
cts between this levels (e.g. resitor to 1 and a transistor to 0).

73s de Adi / DL1HRC

Am 09.05.2017 um 07:55 schrieb [hidden email]:

> Hi,
>
> I would like switch squelch detector to use SERIAL instead VOX with
> GM350 Motorola
>
> I have use serial port RS232 /dev/ttyS0 to PTT on pin RTS and I would
> like use CTS pin to
> squelch.
>
> My question is how to connect PIN COS from Motorola to CTS ?? Can I
> use simple interface
> with one transistor where collector is connected to CTS and emitter to
> GND  and connect
> PIN 8 Motorola COS (HIGH) via 10 kom resistor to base transistor with
> one capacitor 100nF  to GND  or other interface ???
>
> Serial port in PC is true serial not via USB converter.
>

> 73 Waldek

Re: Change SQL_DET from VOX to SERIAL

sp2ong
Hi Adi,

If I am understood:

                                          DTR

                                            --
                                           |R|
                                            /--------- CTS

in svxlink.conf

[Rx1]
SQL_DET=SERIAL
SERIAL_PORT=/dev/ttyS0
SERIAL_PIN=CTS
SERIAL_SET_PINS=DTR!CTS

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like switch squelch detector to use SERIAL instead VOX with
> GM350 Motorola
>
> I have use serial port RS232 /dev/ttyS0 to PTT on pin RTS and I would
> like use CTS pin to
> squelch.
>
> My question is how to connect PIN COS from Motorola to CTS ?? Can I
> use simple interface
> with one transistor where collector is connected to CTS and emitter to
> GND  and connect
> PIN 8 Motorola COS (HIGH) via 10 kom resistor to base transistor with
> one capacitor 100nF  to GND  or other interface ???
>
> Serial port in PC is true serial not via USB converter.

What is the signal on that COS output?  When it is a high/low signal within +/- 15 volts
you should be able to connect it directly to an RS232 input.

BTW, the best results you will probably get when connecting to the direct discriminator
audio and using SQL_DET=SIGLEV together with SIGLEV_DET=NOISE
The advantage is that you can tweak it remotely when there are unwanted squelch openings.

Re: Change SQL_DET from VOX to SERIAL

sp2ong
I am not sure but I have must use following config:

[Rx1]
SQL_DET=SERIAL
SERIAL_PORT=/dev/ttyS0
SERIAL_PIN=CTS:SET
SERIAL_SET_PINS=DTR!CTS

because in Motorola GM350 I have programmed PIN 8 as COS "High"

> Hi Adi,
>
> If I am understood:
>

>                                           DTR
>                                             --
>                                            |R|
>                                             /--------- CTS
>        COS GM350 >---| R |-----|
>                                             \
>                                             GND
>

> in svxlink.conf
>
> [Rx1]
> SQL_DET=SERIAL
> SERIAL_PORT=/dev/ttyS0
> SERIAL_PIN=CTS
> SERIAL_SET_PINS=DTR!CTS

>> Hi,
>>
>> remember that rs232 is defined to have -3 to -15 volt means logical 1 an
>> +3 to +15 volt is logical 0. So GND (0 volt) is an undefined level.
>>
>> You should set one rs232 output to 0 and an other to 1 and switch the
>> cts between this levels (e.g. resitor to 1 and a transistor to 0).
>>
>> 73s de Adi / DL1HRC
>>

>> Am 09.05.2017 um 07:55 schrieb [hidden email]:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like switch squelch detector to use SERIAL instead VOX with
>>> GM350 Motorola
>>>
>>> I have use serial port RS232 /dev/ttyS0 to PTT on pin RTS and I would
>>> like use CTS pin to
>>> squelch.
>>>
>>> My question is how to connect PIN COS from Motorola to CTS ?? Can I
>>> use simple interface
>>> with one transistor where collector is connected to CTS and emitter to
>>> GND  and connect
>>> PIN 8 Motorola COS (HIGH) via 10 kom resistor to base transistor with
>>> one capacitor 100nF  to GND  or other interface ???
>>>
>>> Serial port in PC is true serial not via USB converter.
>>>

>>> 73 Waldek

Re: Change SQL_DET from VOX to SERIAL

sp2ong
Hi Rob,

I am don' know what levels signals are output in Motorolla GM350 in
PIN programmed as COS. I have set COS  as "HIGH"

If Motorola GM-350 has output levels +/- 12V on programed pins you are
right I can connect direct to CTS serial Port

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like switch squelch detector to use SERIAL instead VOX with
>> GM350 Motorola
>>
>> I have use serial port RS232 /dev/ttyS0 to PTT on pin RTS and I would
>> like use CTS pin to
>> squelch.
>>
>> My question is how to connect PIN COS from Motorola to CTS ?? Can I
>> use simple interface
>> with one transistor where collector is connected to CTS and emitter to
>> GND  and connect
>> PIN 8 Motorola COS (HIGH) via 10 kom resistor to base transistor with
>> one capacitor 100nF  to GND  or other interface ???
>>
>> Serial port in PC is true serial not via USB converter.
>>

> What is the signal on that COS output?  When it is a high/low signal within +/- 15 volts
> you should be able to connect it directly to an RS232 input.
>
> BTW, the best results you will probably get when connecting to the direct discriminator
> audio and using SQL_DET=SIGLEV together with SIGLEV_DET=NOISE
> The advantage is that you can tweak it remotely when there are unwanted squelch openings.
>
> Rob

Re: Change SQL_DET from VOX to SERIAL

sp2ong
I have found info about GM-300 but I thing it is similar like GM-350
infrmation about PIN connectror

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/maxtrac/maxtrac-option-plug.html

"As an output it is an open collector MMBT3904 surface mount
transistor which saturates to ground. It can sink a maximum of 200 mA.
The low level will be 0.3 V max. It is driven by gate array pin #38.
As an input, a voltage between 3 and 16 volts is recognized as a logic
high and less than 1 volt is recognized as a logic low. The input is
applied to gate array pin #25. The input has a slow rise time constant
of 1.0 msec.
This pin has a 4.7 K ohm resistor pull-up to 5 Volts on the logic board.
One option on this pin is programming as an ANDed COS and PL decode
signal (active high or active low). "

It is look like LOW level is about 0.3V so I can not connect directly
to serial Port

> Hi Rob,
>
> I am don' know what levels signals are output in Motorolla GM350 in
> PIN programmed as COS. I have set COS  as "HIGH"
>
> If Motorola GM-350 has output levels +/- 12V on programed pins you are
> right I can connect direct to CTS serial Port

>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like switch squelch detector to use SERIAL instead VOX with
>>> GM350 Motorola
>>>
>>> I have use serial port RS232 /dev/ttyS0 to PTT on pin RTS and I would
>>> like use CTS pin to
>>> squelch.
>>>
>>> My question is how to connect PIN COS from Motorola to CTS ?? Can I
>>> use simple interface
>>> with one transistor where collector is connected to CTS and emitter to
>>> GND  and connect
>>> PIN 8 Motorola COS (HIGH) via 10 kom resistor to base transistor with
>>> one capacitor 100nF  to GND  or other interface ???
>>>
>>> Serial port in PC is true serial not via USB converter.
>>>

>> What is the signal on that COS output?  When it is a high/low signal within +/- 15 volts
>> you should be able to connect it directly to an RS232 input.
>>
>> BTW, the best results you will probably get when connecting to the direct discriminator
>> audio and using SQL_DET=SIGLEV together with SIGLEV_DET=NOISE
>> The advantage is that you can tweak it remotely when there are unwanted squelch openings.
>>
>> Rob

Re: Change SQL_DET from VOX to SERIAL

Adi Bier-3
                                DTR

                                --
                                |R|
                                 /--------- CTS
        COS GM350 >---| R |-----|
                                 \

                                RTS

The Problem will be, that you need the two outputs (DTR,RTS) to set the needed levels (+3..+15 volt and < -3..-15 volt) and then it can't be used for ptt anymore :/
The better way would be to take a MAX232 or the Sigleveletector

Am 09.05.2017 um 10:11 schrieb [hidden email]:

> I am not sure but I have must use following config:
>
> [Rx1]
> SQL_DET=SERIAL
> SERIAL_PORT=/dev/ttyS0
> SERIAL_PIN=CTS:SET
> SERIAL_SET_PINS=DTR!CTS
>

> because in Motorola GM350 I have programmed PIN 8 as COS "High"

>> Hi Adi,
>>
>> If I am understood:
>>

>>                                            DTR
>>                                              --
>>                                             |R|
>>                                              /--------- CTS
>>         COS GM350 >---| R |-----|
>>                                              \
>>                                              GND
>>

>> in svxlink.conf
>>
>> [Rx1]
>> SQL_DET=SERIAL
>> SERIAL_PORT=/dev/ttyS0
>> SERIAL_PIN=CTS
>> SERIAL_SET_PINS=DTR!CTS

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> remember that rs232 is defined to have -3 to -15 volt means logical 1 an
>>> +3 to +15 volt is logical 0. So GND (0 volt) is an undefined level.
>>>
>>> You should set one rs232 output to 0 and an other to 1 and switch the
>>> cts between this levels (e.g. resitor to 1 and a transistor to 0).
>>>
>>> 73s de Adi / DL1HRC

Re: Change SQL_DET from VOX to SERIAL

Marius Petrescu
Newer RS232 controllers accept a zero level at below some 1V, exactly to
overcome this issue (including the classic MAX232), even if the historical
specs state otherwise, so this is not necessary an issue.
I have a lot of setups working properly with GND instead of RTS in the
schematic below.

Marius, YO2LOJ

>                                 DTR
>                                 --
>                                 |R|
>                                  /--------- CTS
>         COS GM350 >---| R |-----|
>                                  \
>                                 RTS
>
> The Problem will be, that you need the two outputs (DTR,RTS) to set the
> needed levels (+3..+15 volt and < -3..-15 volt) and then it can't be used
> for ptt anymore :/
> The better way would be to take a MAX232 or the Sigleveletector

Re: Change SQL_DET from VOX to SERIAL

sp2ong
Hi Rob,

I have play with siglveldetcal but for I was surprise that I have
squelch level open less than squelch level close for example

Squelch Open 4.2
Squelch Close 5.6

73 Waldek SP2ONG

> BTW, the best results you will probably get when connecting to the direct discriminator
> audio and using SQL_DET=SIGLEV together with SIGLEV_DET=NOISE
> The advantage is that you can tweak it remotely when there are unwanted squelch openings.

Re: Change SQL_DET from VOX to SERIAL

Rob Janssen
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> I have play with siglveldetcal but for I was surprise that I have
> squelch level open less than squelch level close for example
>
> Squelch Open 4.2
> Squelch Close 5.6
>

> 73 Waldek SP2ONG

You have to use direct discriminator output from the FM receiver, not the line-out
or speaker-out signal.   There should be no audio lowpassfilter or squelch in front
of this output.  You can find "mods" for many transceivers to make such a connection
for 9600 baud packet radio and other digital modes.

Re: Change SQL_DET from VOX to SERIAL

Gullik Webjorn
Hmm....we think we have had some success using unsquelched audio from

Dorji DRA 808 / 818 modules. These have an audio ouput that is similar

to UV-B5 or BF 777, and at least the one I have reports some 39 dB

SNR when using siglevdetcal, and using the values i get in the config file

I get +2 / -7 varying for squelch close and 100 +/- 5 for sqelch open.

SM6FBD

On 2017-05-09 18:47, Rob Janssen wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> I have play with siglveldetcal but for I was surprise that I have
>> squelch level open less than squelch level close for example
>>
>> Squelch Open 4.2
>> Squelch Close 5.6
>>

>> 73 Waldek SP2ONG
>>

> You have to use direct discriminator output from the FM receiver, not the line-out
> or speaker-out signal.   There should be no audio lowpassfilter or squelch in front
> of this output.  You can find "mods" for many transceivers to make such a connection
> for 9600 baud packet radio and other digital modes.
>
> Rob

Re: Change SQL_DET from VOX to SERIAL

Gullik Webjorn
I enclose the Rx1 section from my (working) config.

Note these

SIGLEV_DET=NOISE
SIGLEV_SLOPE=27
SIGLEV_OFFSET=-59

[Rx1]
TYPE=Local
AUDIO_DEV=alsa:plughw:0
AUDIO_CHANNEL=0
#SQL_DET=VOX
SQL_DET=SIGLEV
SQL_START_DELAY=0
SQL_DELAY=0
SQL_HANGTIME=100
#SQL_EXTENDED_HANGTIME=1000
#SQL_EXTENDED_HANGTIME_THRESH=15
#SQL_TIMEOUT=600
#HID_DEVICE=/dev/hidraw3
#HID_SQL_PIN=VOL_UP
VOX_FILTER_DEPTH=20
VOX_THRESH=1000
#CTCSS_MODE=2
#CTCSS_FQ=136.5
#CTCSS_SNR_OFFSET=0
#CTCSS_OPEN_THRESH=15
#CTCSS_CLOSE_THRESH=9
#CTCSS_BPF_LOW=60
#CTCSS_BPF_HIGH=270
#SERIAL_PORT=/dev/ttyS0
#SERIAL_PIN=CTS
#SERIAL_SET_PINS=DTR!RTS
#EVDEV_DEVNAME=/dev/input/by-id/usb-SYNIC_SYNIC_Wireless_Audio-event-if03
#EVDEV_OPEN=1,163,1
#EVDEV_CLOSE=1,163,0
#GPIO_SQL_PIN=gpio30
#PTY_PATH=/tmp/rx1_sql
SIGLEV_DET=NOISE
SIGLEV_SLOPE=27
SIGLEV_OFFSET=-59
#SIGLEV_BOGUS_THRESH=120
#TONE_SIGLEV_MAP=100,84,60,50,37,32,28,23,19,8
SIGLEV_OPEN_THRESH=30
SIGLEV_CLOSE_THRESH=10
DEEMPHASIS=0
#SQL_TAIL_ELIM=300
#PREAMP=6
PEAK_METER=1
DTMF_DEC_TYPE=INTERNAL
DTMF_MUTING=1
DTMF_HANGTIME=40
DTMF_SERIAL=/dev/ttyS0
#DTMF_PTY=/tmp/rx1_dtmf
#DTMF_MAX_FWD_TWIST=8
#DTMF_MAX_REV_TWIST=4
#SEL5_DEC_TYPE=INTERNAL
#SEL5_TYPE=ZVEI1
#FQ=433475000
#MODULATION=FM
#WBRX=WbRx1

Sm6FBD

On 2017-05-09 20:07, Gullik Webjorn wrote:

> Hmm....we think we have had some success using unsquelched audio from
>
> Dorji DRA 808 / 818 modules. These have an audio ouput that is similar
>
> to UV-B5 or BF 777, and at least the one I have reports some 39 dB
>
> SNR when using siglevdetcal, and using the values i get in the config file
>
> I get +2 / -7 varying for squelch close and 100 +/- 5 for sqelch open.
>
> SM6FBD
>

> On 2017-05-09 18:47, Rob Janssen wrote:
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>> Hi Rob,
>>>
>>> I have play with siglveldetcal but for I was surprise that I have
>>> squelch level open less than squelch level close for example
>>>
>>> Squelch Open 4.2
>>> Squelch Close 5.6
>>>

>>> 73 Waldek SP2ONG
>>>

>> You have to use direct discriminator output from the FM receiver, not the line-out
>> or speaker-out signal.   There should be no audio lowpassfilter or squelch in front
>> of this output.  You can find "mods" for many transceivers to make such a connection
>> for 9600 baud packet radio and other digital modes.
>>
>> Rob

Re: Change SQL_DET from VOX to SERIAL

sp2ong
Ok Rob I have found information that Motorola GM300/GM340/GM350 have
RX output ready to FSK 9600 , We need take RX audio from PIN 11 of the
Accessory Connector ( ) and swing JU551 to the (A) position (Flat RX
Unmuted)

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/maxtrac/logic-boards/16-pin-jumpers.jpg
http://zl2tze.is-in.nz/hamradio/generalradio/www.batlabs.com/images/ju801551.jpg

I will be try setup this

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> I have play with siglveldetcal but for I was surprise that I have
>> squelch level open less than squelch level close for example
>>
>> Squelch Open 4.2
>> Squelch Close 5.6
>>

>> 73 Waldek SP2ONG
>>

> You have to use direct discriminator output from the FM receiver, not the line-out
> or speaker-out signal.   There should be no audio lowpassfilter or squelch in front
> of this output.  You can find "mods" for many transceivers to make such a connection
> for 9600 baud packet radio and other digital modes.
>
> Rob

Re: Change SQL_DET from VOX to SERIAL

Gullik Webjorn
Running siglevdetcal....

root@orangepizero:~# siglevdetcal /etc/svxlink/remotetrx.conf Rx1
SigLevDetCal v1.0.5 Copyright (C) 2003-2015 Tobias Blomberg / SM0SVX

SigLevDetCal comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you
are welcome to redistribute it in accordance with the terms and
conditions in
the GNU GPL (General Public License) version 2 or later.

--- Adjust the audio input level to a suitable level.
--- Transmit a strong signal into the SvxLink receiver.
--- This will represent the strongest possible input signal.
--- Don't release the PTT until told so.
--- Press ENTER when ready.

--- Starting squelch open measurement
Signal strength=90.165
Signal strength=88.436
Signal strength=87.730
Signal strength=88.082
Signal strength=88.437
Signal strength=85.684
Signal strength=82.835
....etc

............release PTT......

...etc

Signal strength=-11.161
Signal strength=-4.671
Signal strength=-7.503
Signal strength=-5.035

--- Results
Mean SNR for the CTCSS tone              : N/A (CTCSS not enabled)
Dynamic range for the siglev measurement : 35.9dB

--- Put the config variables below in the configuration file
--- section for Rx1.
SIGLEV_SLOPE=27.86
SIGLEV_OFFSET=-51.03