Custom DTMF settings for EchoLink ?

Allen Moore
I hope to do some final testing this weekend for connecting my SVXlink /
Raspberry Pi node to our club repeater system.

As our club repeater system is fairly extensive ( usually 7 linked sites
with auto-patch and an optional tie to another adjoining system) I am
concerned that I may need to remap some of the standard dtmf functions
to avoid conflict with other long established dtmf codes in use on our
system.

I looked at the default ModuleEchoLink.conf file, hoping to find options
for remapping commands there; but, found nothing.

I presume (will verify when testing this weekend...) that the defaults
are as described here:
http://www.echolink.org/Help/dtmf_functions.htm ?

Can I remap the EchoLink commands in SVXlink?  I expect this is a fairly
common need...

Thanks in advance,

73,

-Allen M.

Re: Custom DTMF settings for EchoLink ?

Scott Currie
This is actually not particularly easy in svxlink, the commands are hard coded. You need to modify the tcl to change them. You can look at this discussion: https://github.com/sm0svx/svxlink/issues/156

Also, if this is going to be a remote link to a repeater (as opposed to a direct connection at the repeater controller), make sure the repeater passes DTMF on the output. Many (most?) repeater controllers mute the output when DTMF tones are received. And finally, depending on how good the audio is through the repeater (especially coming from remote linked repeaters), you could end up with a lot of twist on the received DTMF. You might have to adjust the filters (DTMF_MAX_FWD_TWIST, DTMF_MAX_REV_TWIST) to achieve reliable decode.

The Echolink module commands are documented here:

-Scott

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 11:10 AM, Allen Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Scott,

I suspected that was likely the case.  Our link will be a remote radio link out of necessity.  The UHF hub radio is mountaintop and has no internet access.  Because of the remote nature of many of our system repeaters, our hub controller does pass dtmf tones system wide to allow the control of nodes at the system edges, etc.  At the very least I would like to enable the link up/down commands which aren't defined by default. I suppose I could add a remote power controller as an alternative; but, in the mean time will review the info you provided.

Cheers,
-Allen M.

On 9/15/16 2:21 PM, Scott Currie wrote:
[...]

GPIO & PTT

Allen Moore
Apologies in advance-
this is my first project using GPIO and somehow the connections I am
facing aren't clear to me.

RPi running SVXlink attempting to connect remote radio to our hub
repeater for EchoLInk.

I thought I would be able to use GPIO17 and a logic level converter (3v
to 5v) in order to trigger PTT on the UHF commercial Motorola I've been
provided to use...  However, connecting as I assumed would be correct
results in a constant transmit state.

It seems I may need additional circuitry to properly control PTT.
The J3 accessory connector on the radio terminates in a D-SUB connector
provided for my use.
Radio cable documented as follows:
01 ---GROUND
02 --- PL  (ACTIVE LOW)  <
03 --- PTT (ACTIVE LOW)  >
04 --- TX AUDIO
05 --- RX AUDIO
06
07 --- COR
08
09

Connecting GPIO17 to pin 3 ties the 5v read from the radio to ground and
puts the radio into constant transmit.

Wiring as I expected to work; but, does not...

       PIN    RADIO END Dsub   <>  RPi End (2) 3.5mm stereo && Dsub

     1 Ground  -------------------------  Ground (common)   3.5mm audio
&& GPIO ground
     2 P/L
     3 PTT----------<3v-5v ll conv>——-  GPIO17
     4 Audio OUT ---------------------- Audio to RPi         3.5mm USB
audio MIC
     5 Audio IN ------------------------ Audio from RPi     3.5mm USB
audio SPK
     6
     7 COR      <using VOX>
     8
     9

Perhaps I need a transistor to switch the radio PTT to ground in this
application?

Thanks (again) in advance...  This project is making me feel rather dim
<sigh>.
73,
-Allen M.

Re: GPIO & PTT

Scott Currie
Yeah, I was going to question the level converter on one of your previous posts, but forgot. There is no reason for a level conversion, but you do need a switching transistor. Almost any switching NPN should work (2N2222 for example). There are lots of discussions online on how to connect, see picture below for one example (ignore the audio parts). You might have to invert the I/O pin state, I'm not sure which way it goes by default (use the ! in front of the pin name to invert, see svxlink.conf).

-Scott

Inline image 1

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 1:39 PM, Allen Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

presumably the 10k resistor is to prevent too much current draw on the GPIO?

-A

On 9/16/16 4:19 PM, Scott Currie wrote:
[...]

Correct.

-Scott
Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 16, 2016, at 14:36, Allen Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks Scott,

presumably the 10k resistor is to prevent too much current draw on the GPIO?

-A

On 9/16/16 4:19 PM, Scott Currie wrote:
Yeah, I was going to question the level converter on one of your previous posts, but forgot. There is no reason for a level conversion, but you do need a switching transistor. Almost any switching NPN should work (2N2222 for example). There are lots of discussions online on how to connect, see picture below for one example (ignore the audio parts). You might have to invert the I/O pin state, I'm not sure which way it goes by default (use the ! in front of the pin name to invert, see svxlink.conf).

-Scott

<mime-attachment.png>

[...]

Noted...  Thanks.