DTMF decoding problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

DTMF decoding problem

Roger Bille

 I have problem with decoding DTMF. For example I  get 100% correct from some Yeasu handhelds but others for example Kenwood TH-D7 always fail (I have test more than one of these), some number are ok but other always fail. I have run the dtmf_plot and have an average level of 80-90%, I have tried different level settings. On the graphs I see two things, first the Yeasu are much cleaner and distinct detecting while Kenwood are widther in the base. But the key thing is that all tested devices are identified slight lower frequency than expected, i.e. the yellow bar to the left of the appropriate red bar has higher value. This can for example be related to the A/D conversion of the soundcard. Can I tune svxlink DTMF decoding or is there anything else I should try?

 

 73 de Roger/sm5nrk

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DTMF decoding problem

Tobias Blomberg
On Tuesday 07 March 2006 08:19, Roger Bille wrote:

>  I have problem with decoding DTMF. For example I  get 100% correct from
> some Yeasu handhelds but others for example Kenwood TH-D7 always fail (I
> have test more than one of these), some number are ok but other always
> fail. I have run the dtmf_plot and have an average level of 80-90%, I have
> tried different level settings. On the graphs I see two things, first the
> Yeasu are much cleaner and distinct detecting while Kenwood are widther in
> the base. But the key thing is that all tested devices are identified
> slight lower frequency than expected, i.e. the yellow bar to the left of
> the appropriate red bar has higher value. This can for example be related
> to the A/D conversion of the soundcard. Can I tune svxlink DTMF decoding or
> is there anything else I should try?

Sorry, there is no settings to tweak for DTMF decoding.

As you say, it could be the sound card. If you have the possibility to try
another sound card it would be interresting. Notably, many on board (built in
on the mother board) sound chips are evil. Especially on older computers.

If you want to experiment a little, grab the source code and find the file
svxlink/svxlink/DtmfDecoder.cpp. In this file, the tones are defined:

  row[0] = new DtmfToneDetector(true, 0, 697);
  row[1] = new DtmfToneDetector(true, 1, 770);
  row[2] = new DtmfToneDetector(true, 2, 852);
  row[3] = new DtmfToneDetector(true, 3, 941);

  col[0] = new DtmfToneDetector(false, 0, 1209);
  col[1] = new DtmfToneDetector(false, 1, 1336);
  col[2] = new DtmfToneDetector(false, 2, 1477);
  col[3] = new DtmfToneDetector(false, 3, 1633);

You could also try to modify svxlink/svxlink/ToneDetector.cpp. Find the
SAMPLING_RATE define. Change it and see what happens. It should of course
affect all tone detectors. Maybe this is the best approach instead of
modifying the DtmfDecorder fqs.

Recompile and try it. The dtmf_plot application also use the same file so that
should change too. Please report your results to the list. Maybe it's a good
idea to have a configuration variable for the sampling rate.

73 de SM0SVX / Tobias

>
>
>
>  73 de Roger/sm5nrk


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language
that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live webcast
and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding territory!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Svxlink-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/svxlink-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: DTMF decoding problem

Roger Bille
 Thanks,

 I have already checked the source code and couldn't find any tuning except
through the lines you listed. Before I did anything I wanted to check. I
will also check an other sound card. It is not any on board but probably
very old.

 I will let you know.

 Thanks
 Roger

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:svxlink-devel-
> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of Tobias Blomberg
> Sent: den 7 mars 2006 09:45
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Svxlink-devel] DTMF decoding problem
>
> On Tuesday 07 March 2006 08:19, Roger Bille wrote:
> >  I have problem with decoding DTMF. For example I  get 100% correct from
> > some Yeasu handhelds but others for example Kenwood TH-D7 always fail (I
> > have test more than one of these), some number are ok but other always
> > fail. I have run the dtmf_plot and have an average level of 80-90%, I
> have
> > tried different level settings. On the graphs I see two things, first
> the
> > Yeasu are much cleaner and distinct detecting while Kenwood are widther
> in
> > the base. But the key thing is that all tested devices are identified
> > slight lower frequency than expected, i.e. the yellow bar to the left of
> > the appropriate red bar has higher value. This can for example be
> related
> > to the A/D conversion of the soundcard. Can I tune svxlink DTMF decoding
> or
> > is there anything else I should try?
>
> Sorry, there is no settings to tweak for DTMF decoding.
>
> As you say, it could be the sound card. If you have the possibility to try
> another sound card it would be interresting. Notably, many on board (built
> in
> on the mother board) sound chips are evil. Especially on older computers.
>
> If you want to experiment a little, grab the source code and find the file
> svxlink/svxlink/DtmfDecoder.cpp. In this file, the tones are defined:
>
>   row[0] = new DtmfToneDetector(true, 0, 697);
>   row[1] = new DtmfToneDetector(true, 1, 770);
>   row[2] = new DtmfToneDetector(true, 2, 852);
>   row[3] = new DtmfToneDetector(true, 3, 941);
>
>   col[0] = new DtmfToneDetector(false, 0, 1209);
>   col[1] = new DtmfToneDetector(false, 1, 1336);
>   col[2] = new DtmfToneDetector(false, 2, 1477);
>   col[3] = new DtmfToneDetector(false, 3, 1633);
>
> You could also try to modify svxlink/svxlink/ToneDetector.cpp. Find the
> SAMPLING_RATE define. Change it and see what happens. It should of course
> affect all tone detectors. Maybe this is the best approach instead of
> modifying the DtmfDecorder fqs.
>
> Recompile and try it. The dtmf_plot application also use the same file so
> that
> should change too. Please report your results to the list. Maybe it's a
> good
> idea to have a configuration variable for the sampling rate.
>
> 73 de SM0SVX / Tobias
>
> >
> >
> >
> >  73 de Roger/sm5nrk
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting
> language
> that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live
> webcast
> and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding
> territory!
> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
> _______________________________________________
> Svxlink-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/svxlink-devel



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language
that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live webcast
and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding territory!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Svxlink-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/svxlink-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SvxLink on USB pendrive

Birger Olsson
In reply to this post by Tobias Blomberg
Hi folks!

As I wrote when I posted my first mail about the LiveCD, my final goal has
been to put it all on a pendrive to get a small link PC without any moving
parts and I finally did that today.

I will post a HowTo as soon as I have figured out how I did it ;-)

Question: What is the best way to make a USB-pendrive image for easy install
and distribution?

I have done an image with dd and was thinking about putting that image,
install.txt and dd for Windows in a zip-file. That will give a fixed size
image for 512MB pendrives and a quick and easy installation for all. Is
there a better way to do it? Can I get dd to resize the image for diffrent
sizes of pendrives?

73's

SM6VQJ / Birger



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language
that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live webcast
and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding territory!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Svxlink-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/svxlink-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SvxLink on USB pendrive

Tobias Blomberg
On Wednesday 05 April 2006 20:30, Birger Olsson wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> As I wrote when I posted my first mail about the LiveCD, my final goal has
> been to put it all on a pendrive to get a small link PC without any moving
> parts and I finally did that today.

Great!

>
> I will post a HowTo as soon as I have figured out how I did it ;-)
>
> Question: What is the best way to make a USB-pendrive image for easy
> install and distribution?
>
> I have done an image with dd and was thinking about putting that image,
> install.txt and dd for Windows in a zip-file. That will give a fixed size
> image for 512MB pendrives and a quick and easy installation for all. Is
> there a better way to do it? Can I get dd to resize the image for diffrent
> sizes of pendrives?

A small image will (most likely) work on any drive that is equal or bigger in
size than the image. You don't have to fill the whole block device. For the
last argument to "mkfs" you may specify the number of blocks to use on the
block device. That way you can build a file system that will just fit a
SvxLink installation. Don't forget to "dd if=/dev/zero" before formatting.
This will make it easier to compress the image.

Another crazy idea would be to distribute an installer image. Instructions for
use would be:

1. Write the installer image to the pen-drive
2. Boot it
3. The installer (including compressed SvxLink system) is copied to RAM
4. Reformat the pen-drive and install the SvxLink system.

This would make it possible to use the full size of the pen-drive. However, it
will require at least as much RAM as the size of the installer.

Maybe easier then to create an installer CD that install the pen-drive. Maybe
you can add an option to your SvxLink live CD to create a SvxLink pen drive.

Just some thoughts...

73 de SM0SVX / Tobias

>
>
> 73's
>
> SM6VQJ / Birger
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language
> that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live
> webcast and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding
> territory!
> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
> _______________________________________________
> Svxlink-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/svxlink-devel


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language
that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live webcast
and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding territory!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Svxlink-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/svxlink-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re:Re: SvxLink on USB pendrive

Birger Olsson
Thx for the input Tobias.

> A small image will (most likely) work on any drive that is equal or bigger
> in
> size than the image. You don't have to fill the whole block device. For
> the
> last argument to "mkfs" you may specify the number of blocks to use on the
> block device. That way you can build a file system that will just fit a
> SvxLink installation. Don't forget to "dd if=/dev/zero" before formatting.
> This will make it easier to compress the image.

Yes, same or bigger pendrive will work but a script that resize the
filesystem after booting on a bigger pendrive would be nice.

I dont think it is possible to resize a live filesystem but I may be wrong.
There is a program called Mondo rescue that can do incredible stuff. Mondo
is very good for creating bootable cd's and dvd's with a backup of your
server (from a live filesystem). Try it!

Didnt zero the drive. Tnx for the reminder. That will help.

> Another crazy idea would be to distribute an installer image. Instructions
> for
> use would be:
>
> 1. Write the installer image to the pen-drive
> 2. Boot it
> 3. The installer (including compressed SvxLink system) is copied to RAM
> 4. Reformat the pen-drive and install the SvxLink system.
>
> This would make it possible to use the full size of the pen-drive.
> However, it
> will require at least as much RAM as the size of the installer.
>

Thats a way to do it, but I think I will stick to the first option if that
works. If that doesnt work there is also a possibility to add a second
filesystem/partition on the empty space or keep it simple and make multiple
images for diffrent drives.

73's SM6VQJ / Birger



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language
that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live webcast
and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding territory!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Svxlink-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/svxlink-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SvxLink on USB pendrive

Tobias Blomberg
On Thursday 06 April 2006 00:48, Birger Olsson wrote:
> I dont think it is possible to resize a live filesystem but I may be wrong.

Ah, didn't think of that. Resizing the file system is an elegant solution.
Check out "man ext2online". I've never tested it but the man page say it
should be possible to resize mounted file systems.


> There is a program called Mondo rescue that can do incredible stuff. Mondo
> is very good for creating bootable cd's and dvd's with a backup of your
> server (from a live filesystem). Try it!

Sounds like a cool utility. I'll have a look at it.


> Didnt zero the drive. Tnx for the reminder. That will help.
>
> > Another crazy idea would be to distribute an installer image.
> > Instructions for
> > use would be:
> >
> > 1. Write the installer image to the pen-drive
> > 2. Boot it
> > 3. The installer (including compressed SvxLink system) is copied to RAM
> > 4. Reformat the pen-drive and install the SvxLink system.
> >
> > This would make it possible to use the full size of the pen-drive.
> > However, it
> > will require at least as much RAM as the size of the installer.
>
> Thats a way to do it, but I think I will stick to the first option if that
> works. If that doesnt work there is also a possibility to add a second
> filesystem/partition on the empty space or keep it simple and make multiple
> images for diffrent drives.

That also might work but I like the file system resize idea better :-)

73 de SM0SVX / Tobias


>
> 73's SM6VQJ / Birger
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language
> that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live
> webcast and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding
> territory!
> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
> _______________________________________________
> Svxlink-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/svxlink-devel


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language
that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live webcast
and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding territory!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Svxlink-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/svxlink-devel