*** ERROR: Command timeout while communicating to the directory server

*** ERROR: Command timeout while communicating to the directory server

DANIEL
Hello

I have encountered a problem and i can't solved. I seek your help.

Echolink can not connect to the server. UDP and TCP ports are properly opened.

SvxLink v1.5.0 Copyright (C) 2003-2015 Tobias Blomberg / SM0SVX

SvxLink comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it in accordance with the terms and conditions in the
GNU GPL (General Public License) version 2 or later.

Using configuration file: /usr/local/etc/svxlink/svxlink.conf
--- Using sample rate 48000Hz

Starting logic: SimplexLogic
    Found /usr/local/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/svxlink/ModuleEchoLink.so
    Module EchoLink v1.3.2 starting...
SimplexLogic: Event handler script successfully loaded.
Connected to APRS server 85.90.180.26 on port 14580
*** ERROR: Command timeout while communicating to the directory server
*** ERROR: Command timeout while communicating to the directory server

Any recommendation?

Re: *** ERROR: Command timeout while communicating to the directory server

David Ranch-3

What do you have configured in your /etc/svxlink/svxlink.d/ModuleEchoLink.conf file?  I have:

   SERVERS=servers.echolink.org

hampacket2:/etc/svxlink/svxlink.d# host servers.echolink.org
servers.echolink.org has address 54.161.182.37
servers.echolink.org has address 174.129.209.125
servers.echolink.org has address 174.129.36.165

It seems these echolink servers don't respond to pings but they DO respond to incoming TCP connections (as required).  Can you reproduce this on your side using TELNET?

$ telnet servers.echolink.org 5200
Trying 174.129.36.165...
Connected to servers.echolink.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]close

telnet> close
Connection closed.

--David
KI6ZHD

Re: *** ERROR: Command timeout while communicating to the directory server

Matthew Miller

Also, what internet provider are you using?  Do you know if they filter anything?

I’ve had issues with some carriers that “mess with” the traffic.  For example - hotels, offices, and universities often block connections other than HTTP/HTTPS or Verizon Wireless 4G uses carrier-NAT which breaks Echolink badly (forget the specific error).  That would also include some things like Verizon 4G Home which has the same issue as hotspots and cellphones.  I worked around this by running a private proxy at a couple places I’ve tested that do work with port forwards correctly (my apartment on Cox Cable, my parents’ house Verizon FiOS, and a rented server where I have unfiltered public IPv4) so I can bounce thru one of those.

-Matthew Miller

"The fastest thing a computer does is become outdated"

~Andy Rooney