Quantcast

Easy Digi

Fever Havannah

I have an Easy Digi interface (from KF5INZ) with all the interface cables for a Kenwood TM-271 ... it includes the Easy Digi with 3 audio cables (PC out ... mic in and transciever external speaker cable) which all connects to the Easy Digi interface ... also included is a mic connector (RJ45) to a USB connector with an FTDI chip ...

Debian picks up the USB interface correctly and all seems well except for when I start svxlink the transciever is keyed continuously ... I am not too sure which config variables I should change/enable/disable ...

The USB connector is on /dev/ttyUSB0 ...

I have included my conf file ... hope it helps ...

This TM-271A is replacing the Kenwood TM-D710E I used to use ...

Thank You

Danny
ZS6XOX

Re: Easy Digi

David Ranch-3

Hello Danny,

This TM-271A is replacing the Kenwood TM-D710E I used to use ...

Curious, did the D710 stop working?  It has an Echolink mode which includes the COS (Carrier Operated Squelch) mode which is ideal for an Echolink setup.  If you don't use the COS setup, you'll need to use VOX.

[...]

Per http://www.svxlink.org/doc/man/man5/svxlink.conf.5.html for your setting of "SQL_DET=SERIAL", you have your setup configured to use COS which your Kenwood D710 can support when in Echolink mode but I *DON'T* think your TM-271 supports.  Btw, the TM-271E (not 271A) has a 6-pin packet connector which might support this but it's unclear which specific radio variant you have.  If you have a regular TM-271A, you'll need to reconfigure your setup for VOX and tune it's variables.

#DTMF_SERIAL=/dev/ttyS0
DTMF_SERIAL=/dev/ttyUSB0

Unless you have a dedicated DTMF decoder board, you're enabling things you don't have.  You need to read the configuration URL above and only enable HW you have.

[Tx1]
TYPE=Local
PTT_TYPE=SerialPin
#PTT_PORT=/dev/ttyS0
PTT_PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0
#PTT_PIN=DTRRTS
PTT_PIN=RTS

This looks correct assuming the EasyDigi cable is wired to use the RTS line.  You need to confirm that with say a a volt meter to the correct pin on the DB9 serial connector that connects to the USB adapter  (make sure it's not the DTR line).  Also depending on how the EasyDigi is wired, you actually might need "PTT_PIN=!RTS" to negate the logic

--David

Re: Easy Digi

Fever Havannah

No problem with the D710 ... my thinking is this ... the 710 (like all other radios I suppose) gets very hot on high power and it is a more expensive radio ... sometimes I have QSO's that extend over 2 hours ... it is set on high power (50w) in order for me to cover at least 50km's/30 miles) with a copper J-pole to allow as many hams as possible to use EchoLink via RF ... so I thought instead of using the D710 for extended periods like that I would rather get a less expensive radio with an ExhoLink interface connected to an amplifier to reach these older ham operators ... the D710 will now be used for SkyCommand ... at least that is my plan ...

Thank you for the reply ... I will change to VOX instead ...

Danny
ZS6XOX

On 07 Nov 2015 10:55 PM, "David Ranch" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Danny,

> [...]

--David

Re: Easy Digi

David Ranch-3

Hello Danny,

> No problem with the D710 ... my thinking is this ... the 710 (like all
> other radios I suppose) gets very hot on high power and it is a more
> expensive radio ... sometimes I have QSO's that extend over 2 hours
> ... it is set on high power (50w) in order for me to cover at least
> 50km's/30 miles) with a copper J-pole to allow as many hams as
> possible to use EchoLink via RF ... so I thought instead of using the
> D710 for extended periods like that I would rather get a less
> expensive radio with an ExhoLink interface connected to an amplifier

Yes, 2hrs is a very long time for a 710 at 50watts or ANY ham-grade
radio.  If you put the D710 to 10w and put a good amp with lots of
cooling after it, that could run a long time.  The one challenge you'll
probably see is once you add a proper Echolink interface like an
iLinkboard, etc., you won't save much compared to say just buying a
Kenwood v71A (same radio body as a D710 but without the expensive
head).  Up to you though.

--David
KI6ZHD

Re: Easy Digi

Fever Havannah

Getting ANOTHER radio for EchoLink? ... lol ... the XYL will most definately revoke all marriage privileges ... ;) ...

I changed the settings for the TM-271 (with the Easy Digi interface) ... SQL_DET=VOX and changing PTT_PIN to DTRRTS stopped svxlink from keying the radio constantly ... however I have a few issues with the results ...

First ... sometimes DTMF number tones  are not recognised ... in particular #2 and #3 ... however all other DTMF codes are always recognised ... then sometimes it works again ...

Second ... the audio lacks base it has a very high pitch sound to it ... sometimes (mostly) it is inaudible ...

Third ... when I key for the first time (EchoLink test server) I get a full reply from start to finish played back to me ... when I key a second time 1 second is cut from the start of the transmission ... if I key again 2 seconds are cut off from the transmission ... and so on ... every key playback after the first key gets a second cut from the start so after a few keys I only get the last 1 or 2 words played back to me ... it is the same if I activate Parrot mode ...

Thank You
Danny
ZS6XOX

Re: Easy Digi

David Ranch-3

Hello Danny,

Getting ANOTHER radio for EchoLink? ... lol ... the XYL will most definately revoke all marriage privileges ... ;) ...

Ha... well, don't do that.  Just sayin' that if you want a strong performing Echolink setup, you what COS.  To get that, you need hardware one way or the other.

I changed the settings for the TM-271 (with the Easy Digi interface) ... SQL_DET=VOX and changing PTT_PIN to DTRRTS stopped svxlink from keying the radio constantly ... however I have a few issues with the results

I'm not sure why you're using DTS in addition to RTS.  All depends on your wiring I suppose.

First ... sometimes DTMF number tones  are not recognised ... in particular #2 and #3 ... however all other DTMF codes are always recognised ... then sometimes it works again ...

There is a whole section in the Svxlink.conf manual about DTMF - http://www.svxlink.org/doc/man/man5/svxlink.conf.5.html

   - DTMF_HANGTIME
   - DTMF_MAX_FWD_TWIST
   - DTMF_MAX_REV_TWIST

Also.. read the section on CARD_SAMPLE_RATE too

Second ... the audio lacks base it has a very high pitch sound to it ... sometimes (mostly) it is inaudible ...

Check
   menu item 26 to turn Narrow FM OFF (unless you intend all stations to use narrow)
   menu item 39 to be set to "1200" (this might only be on the TM-271E)

Third ... when I key for the first time (EchoLink test server) I get a full reply from start to finish played back to me ... when I key a second time 1 second is cut from the start of the transmission ... if I key again 2 seconds are cut off from the transmission ... and so on ... every key playback after the first key gets a second cut from the start so after a few keys I only get the last 1 or 2 words played back to me ... it is the same if I activate Parrot mode ...

Now that's bizarre!  One thing you might try (and it's a better setting now that I think of it), try setting SQL_DET to "CTCSS" and setup the right PL tone in svxlink and your transmitting radio.  This will limit the amount of noise your
system accepts as valid traffic as well as it might give you some additional tuning here.  Please note that if you're having DTMF issues (as mentioned above), your system might also have issues with CTCSS decode too.

--David
KI6ZHD

Re: Easy Digi

dl7ata

Danny,

not recognizing DTM 2 and 3 is almost a result of a wrong – too high – audio level. Use the PEAK Parameter in svxlink.conf to optimize the audio input of your transceiver.

Framk

Re: Easy Digi

SM0SVX
Hi Danny,

On Sunday 08 November 2015 21:32:48 Fever Havannah wrote:

> Getting ANOTHER radio for EchoLink? ... lol ... the XYL will most
> definately revoke all marriage privileges ... ;) ...
>
> I changed the settings for the TM-271 (with the Easy Digi interface) ...
> SQL_DET=VOX and changing PTT_PIN to DTRRTS stopped svxlink from keying the
> radio constantly ... however I have a few issues with the results ...
>
> First ... sometimes DTMF number tones  are not recognised ... in particular
> #2 and #3 ... however all other DTMF codes are always recognised ... then
> sometimes it works again ...
>
> Second ... the audio lacks base it has a very high pitch sound to it ...
> sometimes (mostly) it is inaudible ...

Both of the problems above may be due to feeding SvxLink with non-deemphasized
audio. This will happen if you connect the sound card to the 9600bps receiver
output for example. This is not a problem since SvxLink can do the
deemphasizing. Just set DEEMPHASIS=1 in the receiver configuration.

It's actually a good idea to use the 9600bps output since that output usually
have no audio filters. It is better to leave the filtering to SvxLink. That is
especially true if you want to make use of CTCSS since the low frequencies are
usually filtered out on normal audio output.

As someone else mentioned, make sure that your audio levels are adjusted
properly.

> Third ... when I key for the first time (EchoLink test server) I get a full
> reply from start to finish played back to me ... when I key a second time 1
> second is cut from the start of the transmission ... if I key again 2
> seconds are cut off from the transmission ... and so on ... every key
> playback after the first key gets a second cut from the start so after a
> few keys I only get the last 1 or 2 words played back to me ... it is the
> same if I activate Parrot mode ...

No explanation for this but let's deal with the problems above first.

73's de SM0SVX / Tobias

> Thank You
> Danny
> ZS6XOX

Re: Easy Digi

Fever Havannah

Hi guys,

I adjusted the audio levels as recommended by DL6ATA and SM0SVX ...

The sound quality is sorted out now ...

The DTMF problem was my mistake ... I had DTMF_HANGTIME=2000 which meant that only one DTMF number was recognised in the 2 seconds specified with DTMF_HANGTIME ... so I changed that to DTMF_HANGTIME=500 ... so that is sorted out too ...

The issue with the shortened audio was a combination not to RTFM and incompetence ... ;) ... this I sorted out by setting SQL_HANGTIME=2000 ...

The settings may not be perfect but it works for now ...

So my settings for an Easy Digi is exactly the same as as for my TM-D710 except for the following:

SQL_DET=VOX
SQL_DELAY=0
SQL_HANGTIME=2000
DTMF_HANGTIME=500