Echolink audio disappears

Walter Gagliardi
I have used svxlink and raspberry as link for six month with no problem, it is a very stable system.
Now we are configuring a uhf repeater. I found a configuration example on internet and seems that it worked.

But something strange happens, if people are talking in conference everything works ok. When the conference stay inactive for some time, the repeater loses the audio that come from internet.
when you talk to repeater the audio goes to internet, but when somebody talks from the conference, we have no audio in the repeater.
No messages from the system.

Here are the configurations file:

#                                                                             #
#                Configuration file for the SvxLink server                    #
#                                                                             #

[GLOBAL]
MODULE_PATH=/usr/local/lib/svxlink
LOGICS=RepeaterLogic
CFG_DIR=svxlink.d
TIMESTAMP_FORMAT="%c"
CARD_SAMPLE_RATE=16000
LOCATION_INFO=LocationInfo
#LINKS=LinkToR4

[SimplexLogic]
TYPE=Simplex
RX=Rx1
TX=Tx1
MODULES=ModuleParrot,ModuleEchoLink
CALLSIGN=PY2BB
SHORT_IDENT_INTERVAL=15
LONG_IDENT_INTERVAL=60
#IDENT_ONLY_AFTER_TX=4
#EXEC_CMD_ON_SQL_CLOSE=500
EVENT_HANDLER=/usr/local/share/svxlink/events.tcl
DEFAULT_LANG=en_US
RGR_SOUND_DELAY=100
REPORT_CTCSS=88.5
#TX_CTCSS=ALWAYS
MACROS=Macros
FX_GAIN_NORMAL=0
FX_GAIN_LOW=-12
#ACTIVATE_MODULE_ON_LONG_CMD=4:EchoLink
#QSO_RECORDER=8:QsoRecorder
#ONLINE_CMD=998877
#QSO_RECORDER=8:QsoRecorder
#ONLINE_CMD=998877
#MUTE_RX_ON_TX=1
#MUTE_TX_ON_RX=1

[RepeaterLogic]
TYPE=Repeater
RX=Rx1
TX=Tx1
MODULES=ModuleParrot,ModuleEchoLink
CALLSIGN=PY2KBK
SHORT_IDENT_INTERVAL=10
LONG_IDENT_INTERVAL=60
#IDENT_ONLY_AFTER_TX=4
#EXEC_CMD_ON_SQL_CLOSE=500
EVENT_HANDLER=/usr/local/share/svxlink/events.tcl
DEFAULT_LANG=en_US
RGR_SOUND_DELAY=1
REPORT_CTCSS=88.5
#TX_CTCSS=SQL_OPEN
#MACROS=Macros
#SEL5_MACRO_RANGE=03400,03499
FX_GAIN_NORMAL=0
FX_GAIN_LOW=-12
#QSO_RECORDER=8:QsoRecorder
NO_REPEAT=0
IDLE_TIMEOUT=1
OPEN_ON_1750=0
#OPEN_ON_CTCSS=88.5:100
#OPEN_ON_DTMF=*
OPEN_ON_SQL=1
#OPEN_ON_SEL5=01234
OPEN_SQL_FLANK=OPEN
#OPEN_ON_SQL_AFTER_RPT_CLOSE=10
IDLE_SOUND_INTERVAL=0
#SQL_FLAP_SUP_MIN_TIME=1000
IDLE_SOUND_INTERVAL=0
#SQL_FLAP_SUP_MIN_TIME=1000
#SQL_FLAP_SUP_MAX_COUNT=10
#ACTIVATE_MODULE_ON_LONG_CMD=4:EchoLink
#IDENT_NAG_TIMEOUT=15
#IDENT_NAG_MIN_TIME=2000
#ONLINE_CMD=998877
[Rx1]
TYPE=Local
AUDIO_DEV=alsa:plughw:1
AUDIO_CHANNEL=0
SQL_DET=CTCSS
SQL_START_DELAY=1000
SQL_DELAY=50
SQL_HANGTIME=1000
#SQL_EXTENDED_HANGTIME=1000
#SQL_EXTENDED_HANGTIME_THRESH=15
#SQL_TIMEOUT=600
VOX_FILTER_DEPTH=100
VOX_THRESH=800
CTCSS_MODE=2
CTCSS_FQ=88.5
#CTCSS_SNR_OFFSET=0
CTCSS_OPEN_THRESH=15
CTCSS_CLOSE_THRESH=9
#CTCSS_BPF_LOW=60
#CTCSS_BPF_HIGH=270
SERIAL_PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0
SERIAL_PIN=DTR
SERIAL_PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0
SERIAL_PIN=DTR
#SERIAL_SET_PINS=DTR!RTS
#EVDEV_DEVNAME=/dev/input/by-id/usb-SYNIC_SYNIC_Wireless_Audio-event-if03
#EVDEV_OPEN=1,163,1
#EVDEV_CLOSE=1,163,0
#GPIO_SQL_PIN=gpio30
#PTY_PATH=/tmp/rx1_sql
#SIGLEV_DET=TONE
SIGLEV_SLOPE=1
SIGLEV_OFFSET=0
#SIGLEV_BOGUS_THRESH=120
#TONE_SIGLEV_MAP=100,84,60,50,37,32,28,23,19,8
SIGLEV_OPEN_THRESH=30
SIGLEV_CLOSE_THRESH=10
DEEMPHASIS=0
#SQL_TAIL_ELIM=300
#PREAMP=6
PEAK_METER=0
DTMF_DEC_TYPE=INTERNAL
DTMF_MUTING=1
DTMF_HANGTIME=100
DTMF_SERIAL=/dev/ttyS0
#DTMF_PTY=/tmp/rx1_dtmf
#DTMF_MAX_FWD_TWIST=8
#DTMF_MAX_REV_TWIST=4
#1750_MUTING=1
#SEL5_DEC_TYPE=INTERNAL
#SEL5_TYPE=ZVEI1

[Tx1]
TYPE=Local
AUDIO_DEV=alsa:plughw:1
AUDIO_CHANNEL=0
PTT_TYPE=SerialPin
PTT_PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0
PTT_TYPE=SerialPin
PTT_PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0
#PTT_PIN=DTR
PTT_PIN=RTS
#SERIAL_SET_PINS=DTR!RTS
#PTT_HANGTIME=1000
TIMEOUT=300
TX_DELAY=500
#CTCSS_FQ=136.5
#CTCSS_LEVEL=9
PREEMPHASIS=0
DTMF_TONE_LENGTH=100
DTMF_TONE_SPACING=50
DTMF_TONE_AMP=-18

[LocationInfo]
APRS_SERVER_LIST=euro.aprs2.net:14580
STATUS_SERVER_LIST=aprs.echolink.org:5199
LON_POSITION= 47.12.44W
LAT_POSITION=23.04.24S
CALLSIGN=EL-PY2BB
FREQUENCY=145.770
TX_POWER=10
ANTENNA_GAIN=9
ANTENNA_HEIGHT=20m
ANTENNA_DIR=-1
PATH=WIDE1-1
BEACON_INTERVAL=10
TONE=88
COMMENT=SvxLink by SM0SVX (svxlink.sourceforge.net)

I sent only the parts that I have change

echolink.conf

[ModuleEchoLink]
NAME=EchoLink
ID=2
TIMEOUT=60
#ALLOW_IP=192.168.1.0/24
#DROP_INCOMING=^()$
#REJECT_INCOMING=^()$
#ACCEPT_INCOMING=^(.*)$
#REJECT_OUTGOING=^()$
#ACCEPT_OUTGOING=^(.*)$
#REJECT_CONF=0
#CHECK_NR_CONNECTS=2,300,120
CALLSIGN=PY2BB-L
PASSWORD=@@@@@@@
SYSOPNAME=Indaiatuba 145.770
LOCATION=in Conference *AMBRASIL*
#PROXY_SERVER=the.proxy.server
#PROXY_PORT=8100
#PROXY_PASSWORD=PUBLIC
#BIND_ADDR=10.20.30.40
MAX_QSOS=1
MAX_CONNECTIONS=1
LINK_IDLE_TIMEOUT=0
AUTOCON_ECHOLINK_ID=358734
#AUTOCON_ECHOLINK_ID=9999
AUTOCON_TIME=120
#USE_GSM_ONLY=1
#DEFAULT_LANG=en_US
DESCRIPTION="You have connected to a SvxLink node,\n"
            "a voice services system for Linux with EchoLink\n"
            "support.\n"
            "Check out http://svxlink.sf.net/ for more info\n"
            "\n"
            "QTH:     Indaiatuba SP"
            "QRG:     Simplex link on 145.770 MHz\n"
            "CTCSS:   88.5 Hz\n"
            "Trx:     IC281h \n"
            "Antenna: comet/GP/gpx-2010\n"

Thanks for any help
                              Walter, PY2WAL

Re: Echolink audio disappears

Rob Janssen
Walter Gagliardi wrote:
> I have used svxlink and raspberry as link for six month with no problem, it is a very stable system.
> Now we are configuring a uhf repeater. I found a configuration example on internet and seems that it worked.
>
> But something strange happens, if people are talking in conference everything works ok. When the conference stay inactive for some time, the repeater loses the audio that come from internet.
> when you talk to repeater the audio goes to internet, but when somebody talks from the conference, we have no audio in the repeater.
> No messages from the system.

You probably are behind a NAT router.
You need to configure port forwarding in your NAT router for incoming traffic on UDP port 5198 and 5199
so this traffic is forwarded to your svxlink system.
When you have fixed that, this problem will be gone.

Re: Echolink audio disappears

Walter Gagliardi
Thanks for the asnwer Rob
I did this already. this installation was a link that works very well.
The issue starts when we changed to repeat mode.

Walter Gagliardi wrote:
> Thanks for the asnwer Rob
> I did this already. this installation was a link that works very well.
> The issue starts when we changed to repeat mode.

It can be a firewall on your local system as well.  You need to open ports 5198 and 5199 incoming,
don't rely on ESTABLISHED/RELATED rules.

This issue is well known.  Temporary allow rule of UDP traffic expires when there is no traffic, and new
traffic from outside is dropped until there is traffic from inside to outside, which there never is when
nobody keys up the repeater.

Re: Echolink audio disappears

Walter Gagliardi
Ok Rob I'm checking the router.
Thanks

Em ter, 7 de jun de 2016 às 14:17, Rob Janssen <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Walter Gagliardi wrote:
> Thanks for the asnwer Rob
> I did this already. this installation was a link that works very well.
> The issue starts when we changed to repeat mode.

It can be a firewall on your local system as well.  You need to open ports 5198 and 5199 incoming,
don't rely on ESTABLISHED/RELATED rules.

This issue is well known.  Temporary allow rule of UDP traffic expires when there is no traffic, and new
traffic from outside is dropped until there is traffic from inside to outside, which there never is when
nobody keys up the repeater.

Re: Echolink audio disappears

Eric -

You can try with public echolink proxy

Walter Gagliardi wrote:
> Thanks for the asnwer Rob
> I did this already. this installation was a link that works very well.
> The issue starts when we changed to repeat mode.

It can be a firewall on your local system as well.  You need to open ports 5198 and 5199 incoming,
don't rely on ESTABLISHED/RELATED rules.

This issue is well known.  Temporary allow rule of UDP traffic expires when there is no traffic, and new
traffic from outside is dropped until there is traffic from inside to outside, which there never is when
nobody keys up the repeater.

Re: Echolink audio disappears

Walter Gagliardi
I used the demilitarized area on router and now the repeater works ok.

Thanks Rob and Eric

73 from brazil de PY2WAL Walter

Walter Gagliardi wrote:
> I used the demilitarized area on router and now the repeater works ok.
>
> Thanks Rob and Eric
>
> 73 from brazil de PY2WAL Walter

Ok in that case of course make sure you have a firewall on the repeater system itself!
It can be the standard firewall of most distributions, that allows ESTABLISHED/RELATED on input
and drops most others, but you need to add permanent allow rules for UDP port 5198 and 5199.