FW: SQL_TIMEOUT Announcement.

F5VMR Orange

And then I see the answer – not yet available – but looking for a solution to happen. Thanks

Re: FW: SQL_TIMEOUT Announcement.

Tobias Blomberg
On Tuesday 21 April 2015 23:27:40 F5VMR wrote:
> And then I see the answer - not yet available - but looking for a solution
> to happen. Thanks

I don't think there is an issue opened for that so if you want that feature
you should create a new issue on GitHub.

        https://github.com/sm0svx/svxlink/issues

The SQL_TIMEOUT is designed as a safety feature so that is why there is no
announcement. It is meant to be used to prevent a hanging squelch to block the
system indefinitely. That is why the default is as high as ten minutes.

The usage you ask for is something completely different even if it looks the
same.

73's de SM0SVX / Tobias

Hi Tobias,
Yes, although for the time being I have used this existing feature. I would
like to be kind and have a completely open repeater, but some forget they
are not on HF, HI.
Thanks for your comment.

Chris F5VMR

Re: FW: SQL_TIMEOUT Announcement.

Rob Janssen
F5VMR wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
> Yes, although for the time being I have used this existing feature. I would
> like to be kind and have a completely open repeater, but some forget they
> are not on HF, HI.
> Thanks for your comment.
>
> Chris F5VMR

We had that feature on the old repeater before it was switched to svxlink, but personally I think
it is not a good thing.  What happens is that people talk too long and then the repeater falls
silent, the QSO is disrupted, people are trying to key the repeater and don't understand it is
waiting for the long-talking person to stop, and when it finally becomes clear the person is
asked to repeat "everything after ..." wasting even more time.

What you could do alternatively: insert some custom code in the TCL script so when someone
talks too long, you send a message before the roger beep to encourage people to limit the
length of their transmission.   This is possible in the current version, and you may achieve
the same thing without actually cutting off the transmission.

Try this in a local copy of Logic.tcl:

variable start_of_transmission 0;
variable length_of_transmission 0;

#
# Executed when the squelch just have closed and the RGR_SOUND_DELAY timer has
# expired.
#
proc send_rgr_sound {} {
   variable sql_rx_id;
   variable length_of_transmission;

   if { $length_of_transmission > 240000 } {
     playMsg "local" "please_keep_your_transmissions_short";
     playSilence 500;
   }

   playTone 440 500 100;
   playSilence 200;

   for {set i 0} {$i < $sql_rx_id} {incr i 1} {
     playTone 880 500 50;
     playSilence 50;
   }
   playSilence 100;
}

#
# Executed each time the squelch is opened or closed
#   rx_id   - The ID of the RX that the squelch opened/closed on
#   is_open - Set to 1 if the squelch is open or 0 if it's closed
#
proc squelch_open {rx_id is_open} {
   variable start_of_transmission;
   variable length_of_transmission;

   #puts "The squelch is $is_open on RX $rx_id";

   if {$is_open} {
     set start_of_transmission [clock clicks -milliseconds];
   } else {
     set length_of_transmission [expr [clock clicks -milliseconds] - $start_of_transmission];
   }
}

Of course you need to put an appropriate message in ...sounds.../local/please_keep_your_transmissions_short.wav

Re: FW: SQL_TIMEOUT Announcement.

F5VMR Orange
HI Rob,
Super - Just what we need.

Thanks very much.

Chris F5VMR

Re: FW: SQL_TIMEOUT Announcement.

F5VMR Orange
Hi Rob,

Well I tried your suggestion, but not initially with the result I wanted, as
it suppressed the "roger beep" (A CW "K" in our case) so it never got to the
live test stage as I took it down again. I shall install it in a substitute
repeater for a test before putting it live again. I used exactly the text
you put in your message, although there were two lines absent from your test
that exists in the real thing. (the section with rx_id).
variable sql_rx_id;
set sql_rx_id $rx_id;

Were these lines intentionally absent from your code and meant not to be
included?
In which case I tried with and without these lines, but still ended up with
the same result - no roger "K".

In my case I created the sample "bavarde" in "Core" and referred to it in
the same fashion where you used "local" and "text_to_be_used".
Regards,

Chris.

F5VMR wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> Well I tried your suggestion, but not initially with the result I wanted, as
> it suppressed the "roger beep" (A CW "K" in our case) so it never got to the
> live test stage as I took it down again. I shall install it in a substitute
> repeater for a test before putting it live again. I used exactly the text
> you put in your message, although there were two lines absent from your test
> that exists in the real thing. (the section with rx_id).
> variable sql_rx_id;
> set sql_rx_id $rx_id;
>
> Were these lines intentionally absent from your code and meant not to be
> included?
> In which case I tried with and without these lines, but still ended up with
> the same result - no roger "K".

I think you (or I) have introduced some syntax error in the .tcl script.  Probably one of
the two functions is now no longer working.  Look in the logfile immendiately after starting
svxlink (or start it without logfile) to see if there are complaints.

I presume, when you have already created a local copy of Logic.tcl for a customized
roger_snd, that you know how to do that.   It is possible to copy
/usr/share/svxlink/events.d/Logic.tcl to /usr/share/svxlink/events.d/local/Logic.tcl and
remove all functions you don't want to modify, or just take what I posted and add the

#
# This is the namespace in which all functions and variables below will exist.
#
namespace eval Logic {

at the top and

# end of namespace
}

at the end.

The lines with sql_rx_id;can be kept in there, sorry that I omitted them but I worked from our
local version of the routines.  They should not matter when you have only one receiver and
a fixed roger K.

Of course when you have customized the roger_snd you need to merge your own changes
with the example I posted.   What is important is only the determination of the length of the
transmission in the squelch_open routine and then the use of that information in send_rgr_sound.

When debugging it, you could also use playNumber to spell the value of length_of_transmission
to see what is going wrong.   (is it zero?  another unexpected value not similar to the length of
a test transmission in milliseconds?)

Debugging things like this is always a challenge when you are not experienced...  but then
you learn something and can do other customization in the future.

Re: FW: SQL_TIMEOUT Announcement.

F5VMR Orange
Hi again Rob,

Firstly yes I work on all the .tcl files in the local folder. I'll work on
it and come back to you as I get time.
I just knew that you would have some solution or other. Still haven't
resolved the internet problem but I have written to Orange with a view to
make a study on my line. But I suspect it may not resoluable in the short
term. It seems that the ports although open are blocked somewhere. A
traceroute outbound from my home to the repeater site arrives within 10
hops, but the reverse stops at 13 somewhere in the national network in
Paris. That's the problem with living in an Internet Desert we are served by
microwave to the local receiver station before it hits copper line to me.
I make this comment here as I connect to the VHF repeater here by ssh, and
frequently the connection drops, so I have to make changes to svxlink a line
at a time and save. Tedious but careful.
Despite having a no-ip service in place here, my dynamic IP address changes
2 or 3 times a day, without affecting the modem directly. So the service is
continually fighting to stay in contact. Also a problem for remotetrx to
remain in contact with its correspondent.

Thanks again.