Linked repeater system with SvxLink

Erik Finskas
Hello all.

I'm looking for methods of linking several repeaters together, and
SvxLink seems to be a working method to do the linking.

I'm curious about few details though;

What codec is used to link between svxlink nodes? bitrate?
When linked to several nodes, will every node unicast to all others or
is there a central node which relays traffic to all nodes incorporated?

Thanks,
Erik OH2LAK

Re: Linked repeater system with SvxLink

Tobias Blomberg
On Wednesday 14 September 2005 12.18, Erik Finskas wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I'm looking for methods of linking several repeaters together, and
> SvxLink seems to be a working method to do the linking.

SvxLink implements the EchoLink protocol. EchoLink is not normally used to
setup static links between repeaters. It is a dynamic system where a station
can use DTMF to connect to another node in the EchoLink system. For more
information about EchoLink:

        http://www.echolink.org/

However, there are plans to implement a more static linking between two
SvxLink nodes. I don't know when this will happen though...

> I'm curious about few details though;
>
> What codec is used to link between svxlink nodes? bitrate?
> When linked to several nodes, will every node unicast to all others or
> is there a central node which relays traffic to all nodes incorporated?

EchoLink use the GSM codec so the bitrate is about 13.5kbit/s. All connected
nodes will hear all traffic. There is no need for a central audio
distribution node. Audio is distributed peer to peer. However, EchoLink need
a central directory server to lookup and verify callsigns.

73 de SM0SVX / Tobias