Quantcast

Logic online/offline announce and DTMF

Mike Dunn
  Hi,

I'm new to svxlink and I need a little help, so I hope this is the
right place for questions.  I'm trying to setup a RPi with svxlink;
the goal is to have svxlink ID on a frequency and respond to
online/offline commands via DTMF.  I currently have this functional
using the ONLINE_CMD parameter (set to "99"), however I'm running into
a couple of problems with the announcements. (svxlink.conf below)

When I send the online DTMF from the CLI, svxlink announces "svxlink
online", however when I send the offline DTMF from the CLI it quietly
shuts down.  I reviewed Logic.tcl and found the logic_online function;
it has an "if" statement that only announces when the logic comes on
line.  So, I added an "else" branch for offline in a local copy of the
function, however it still will not announce.  I know the logic is
being executed because a "puts" statement in the same branch works
fine.  It seems like the logic is down before this branch is getting
executed, thus the playMsg command is ignored.  Is this a chicken
before the egg problem?  Any ideas on how I might get announcements
for both on-line and offline events?

Another issue that I noticed occurs when I send DTMFs through the RX
port.  The DTMFs are decoded properly and the online/offline functions
occur.  However, there are no announcements for either online or
offline events.  This is using the same configuration as above, but
with the stock Logic.tcl.  Any idea why received DTMFs would behave
differently then CLI DTMFs?

  Thanks
  Mike
  KG7WFV

[GLOBAL]
LOGICS=SimplexLogic
CFG_DIR=/etc/svxlink/svxlink.d

[SimplexLogic]
TYPE=Simplex
CALLSIGN=KG7WFV
ONLINE_CMD=99
SHORT_IDENT_INTERVAL=1
LONG_IDENT_INTERVAL=10
EVENT_HANDLER=/usr/share/svxlink/events.tcl
RX=Rx1
TX=Tx1

[Rx1]
TYPE=Local
AUDIO_DEV=alsa:plughw:1,0
AUDIO_CHANNEL=0
SQL_DET=VOX
VOX_FILTER_DEPTH=150
VOX_THRESH=1000
DTMF_DEC_TYPE=INTERNAL

[Tx1]
TYPE=Local
AUDIO_DEV=alsa:plughw:1,0
AUDIO_CHANNEL=0
PTT_TYPE=Dummy

Re: Logic online/offline announce and DTMF

F5VMR Orange
Hi Mike,
Firstly you are running your system in simplex mode I see.
Two things I have noticed with DTMF is that if you have the demphasis set or
unset you may find different behaviours so check that. The characteristics
may also be affected by the sound card settings.

Run your set up as a daemon - ie. sudo svxlink --
daemon --logfile=/var/log/svxlink.log , then tail -f /var/log/svxlink.log to
watch the output as you use the node. (that's two hyphens before daemon and
logfile).

Finally the ONLINE_CMD="99" as in your case must be sent as 990# to turn
off, and 991# to turn it back on. In the RepeaterLogic is is slightly
differnet as requires the repeater to be "UP" before interpreting the "off"
command but of course is ready to receive the "on" command without having
the repeater "UP".

You need to go into the loop before the command to be "OFF" is interpreted,
so you can insert an announcement.

You sound as if you are getting into it otherwise. You can join "svxlink
amateur radio users" on facebook if you'd like, as there is a lot of
experience there too.

Regards
Chris F5VMR G4NAB

Re: Logic online/offline announce and DTMF

Mike Dunn
  Hi Chris,

Thanks for your feedback.  I should mention that I'm not yet using a
radio in this setup; I'm using Audacity to generate the DTMFs into the
RX port on svxlink, and I simply have some speakers connected to the
TX port.

I did enable DEEMPHASIS to see what it would do, however it did not
seem to change the behavior.  All of the DTMFs (whether generated by
Audacity or directly input 990# and 991# in the CLI) are being passed
and processed correctly.  I can tell this is happening because I'm
running svxlink in the foreground and monitoring the console output.
The svxlink logic reliably switches on and off with the DTMF codes;
it's just the announcements that do not happen when I would expect
them to.

> You need to go into the loop before the command to be "OFF" is interpreted,
> so you can insert an announcement.

This sounds like the chicken/egg problem that I referred to; I think
the transmitter logic is getting shutoff before the call to playMsg.
I think I need to sort out how the logic_online() function is called.
Not sure if that is exposed in a TCL script or not.

  Thanks
  Mike