MetarInfo module problem

Guy Vachon VE2VAG
Hello,

Latest Svxlink version installed and running on a HP thin client T5720, using Debian Jessie.  Works great, what a nice piece of softrware it is !

I’ve been playing lately with the MetarInfo module.  I’ve managed to make it work, and have modified a little bit the MetarInfo.tcl file so that some events are played and sounds correctly in french (just inverted some expressions, did not touch any variables or arguments).  File was saved in the usr/share/svxlink/events.d/local directory, to make sure I don’t lose my changes if I ever compile and install a new version in the future.  File ModuleMetarInfo.conf was configured, and module was added in the SimplexLogic section of svxlink.conf, since that’s what I’m using.  Only airport I’ve entered so far is my local one CYQB., and long message is =1

When launched, the module works and data is played on the node; however I stumbled on an error this morning:

METAR: CYQB 131400Z 01014G20KT 20SM FEW030 BKN060 BKN120 18/08 A2972 RMK SC1SC6AC1 SC TR SLP065 DENSITY ALT 800FT
*** ERROR: Unable to handle event: MetarInfo::cloudtypes cld_ac 1 cld_sc 6 cld_ac 1 in logic SimplexLogic (invalid command name "MetarInfo::cloudtypes")

I’ve checked in MetarInfo.tcl, and I did not see mentions about “cloudtypes”.  All wav sound files cld_ac and cld_sc are there.  Sounds clips are working.  Any ideais ?

Also, I’m having a little trouble with how some of the numbers are played in french.
For example, when the Metar mentionned ealier is played, when a zero precedes a value, that “zero” is played (Ex.: “zero” “six” “thousand” “feet”).  Met report time is played “forteen” “zero” “zero”.  Only some of the data after the RMK is played; in my example, only SLP065 is played.  Nothing for SC1SC6AC1 SC TR, DENSITY ALT 800 FT.

I’ve read everything mentionned in Issue 105 about mathematical prunounciation.  I’ve also seen that Adi had submitted a patch for the  prunounciation of numbers over 10 000. Was that patch included in the current 15.11 release of Svxlink ?

Thanks and 73s from Guy VE2VAG in Quebec city, Canada

Re: MetarInfo module problem

F5VMR Orange
Hi Guy,
A long time ago I produced a complete build of the sound files in French from the english translation, over 460 .wav files
They are in use on our repeater f5zgm.f8kfz.org:19800/stream including all the cloud types.
If you want a copy then drop me a line on [hidden email] and we will see what we can do.

regards
Chris F5VMR G4NAB

Re: MetarInfo module problem

Adi Bier-3
Hi Guy,

thank you for your report.
I've checked it and there is a missing tcl function (MetarInfo.tcl) for the cloud types indeed. The reason maybe that the airports I know doesn't have this information. Will see what I can do next time.
The other problem is that the remark part (all after RMK) differs from airport to airport because it is used as free text sometimes. So is hard to analyze the information and to assign the right voice files to the sections.

vy 73s de Adi / DL1HRC

Am 13.06.2016 um 19:34 schrieb Guy Vachon VE2VAG:
[...]

Hello Adi,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Since the data after the RMK seems to be mainly about the opacity or density of clouds layers and the sea level pressure, those could probably be ignored since  the casual ham radio operator would not need these.
Guess in the meantime, I could set comment out the LONGMESSAGE=1 line in ModuleMetarInfo.conf

Saw somewhere that a Svxlink user managed to have weather predictions work using text-to-speech and data from accuweather, but his website seems to be down.

As for the mathematical and prunounciation issues in french, I’m currently using the F1SMF locale.tcl file.
I think the main difference between that version and the english default version is on how numbers between 71 to 79 and 91 to 99 are “played”.

For example,  to say the number 75:
In english, we would need to play the files “7X” and “5”
In french, it is a mix of 60 and 15, so files played would be “60” or “6X” (which would be sixty, or “soixante” in french”") and “15”.
Same logic for numbers between 91 and 99; they’ll be a mix of “8X” and numbers between 11 and 19.

Thanks and 73s from Guy VE2VAG

_______________________________

Hi Guy,

thank you for your report.
I've checked it and there is a missing tcl function (MetarInfo.tcl) for the cloud types indeed. The reason maybe that the airports I know doesn't have this information. Will see what I can do next time.
The other problem is that the remark part (all after RMK) differs from airport to airport because it is used as free text sometimes. So is hard to analyze the information and to assign the right voice files to the sections.

vy 73s de Adi / DL1HRC

Re: MetarInfo module problem

Adi Bier-3
Hi Guy,

thank you for your response.
When I was developing MetarInfo a couple of years ago I found a lot of different information in the RMK part, sometimes I thought they inform all readers about best pizza prices :)
I think it's better to comment out the REMARKS part or only using it if you be sure that the airport of your interest only contain information available on your SvxLink system :/

At that time my intension was to be as close as possible to the ATIS on airports. Language specific variations should be done by changing the MetarInfo.tcl according to the locale concept. I don't speak French so it would be a good idea if you can change the locale.tcl and/or the MetarInfo.tcl that it's sufficient language-specific claims and provide them to the community. Since the output of the numbers in French (with reference to your examples) is a more global task it should be changed in local.tcl to be available in all SvxLink-modules.

@Tobias: Do you think it's a good idea to introduce a language specific sourcing of locale.tcl, e.g.

locale.tcl (default, first)
locale_de_DE.tcl
locale_en_US.tcl

Where "en_US" is the param from svxlink.conf?

vy 73s de Adi / DL1HRC
Am 13.06.2016 um 23:12 schrieb Guy Vachon VE2VAG:

[...]

I've created a branch for this topic. If you want you can test the MetarInfo_clouds branch on my github area.
https://github.com/dl1hrc/svxlink.git
The only changes are a new tcl procedure "cloudtypes{}" and the creation of a new announcement "covering" in
the MetarInfo namespace. So a quick and dirty solution should be the overwrite the MetarInfo.tcl in your installation
with the file from the branch and to create a new wavefile.

Good luck