Minimum hardware for SVXreflector

Jordi Vidal
Hello everyone
I am maintaining a network of about 15 svxlink with connection to Echolink

It's been a while since we want to move to SVXreflector.
We finally have a place to be able to put a server with a 300 / 300Mbps fiber optic connection and dedicated IP.

I would need to know what hardware I would need to run svxreflector for 15 or more svxlink.

Also, if it is possible that it may continue connected with echolink.

thank you so much.

Jordi Vidal

EB3AM (ex EB3DVA)

Re: Minimum hardware for SVXreflector

svxlink-devel mailing list
Hi Jordi,

The SvxReflector is very light on CPU usage since it's only relaying the traffic. It does not do any decode/encode of audio (right now). Because of this all nodes in the network must be configured with the same audio codec. In the future support for reencoding audio may be added but it will still be pretty light on CPU since the reencode only have to be done once for each codec in use so it does not depend on the number of connections.

The most important resource is network bandwidth but you seem to have that covered with a lot of margin. How much bandwidth that is needed depends on which audio codec is chosen. The default codec is Opus. The bandwidth requirement I guess is somewhere around 30kbps per connection. I have not measured it.

Using EchoLink on multiple nodes in the network may be dangerous since the risk of creating audio loops is high but there is nothing stopping you to use both SvxReflector and Echolink at the same time. The safe option is to have only one node with Echolink in the network. The problem with that is that users cannot connect out except from the one node having Echolink. One solution (sort of) is to have Echolink on all nodes but only allow outgoing connections on all but one. A bit more safety is added if you disallow outgoing connections to nodes in the reflector network but for someone wanting to create a loop it's pretty easy anyway.

Also, make sure you read this before going on:

https://sourceforge.net/p/svxlink/mailman/message/35953391/

73's de SM0SVX / Tobias

On July 21, 2017 10:34:08 AM GMT+02:00, Jordi Vidal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Also, make sure you read this before going on:

https://sourceforge.net/p/svxlink/mailman/message/35953391/

73's de SM0SVX / Tobias

On July 21, 2017 10:34:08 AM GMT+02:00, Jordi Vidal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Hello everyone
>I am maintaining a network of about 15 svxlink with connection to
>Echolink
>
>It's been a while since we want to move to SVXreflector.
>We finally have a place to be able to put a server with a 300 / 300Mbps
>fiber optic connection and dedicated IP.
>
>I would need to know what hardware I would need to run svxreflector for
>15
>or more svxlink.
>
>Also, if it is possible that it may continue connected with echolink.

sp2ong
Hi Tobias,

One solution (sort of) is to have Echolink on all nodes but only allow outgoing connections on all but one.

If I am understood in this configuration is don't not allow connect any stations to any echolink node in network svxreflector only is poosible create outgoing links from this netowrk ???

73 Waldek SP2ONG

Re: Minimum hardware for SVXreflector

Adi Bier-3
Hi Tobias,

One solution (sort of) is to have Echolink on all nodes but only allow outgoing connections on all but one.

If I am understood in this configuration is don't not allow connect any stations to any echolink node in network svxreflector only is poosible create outgoing links from this netowrk ???

There is no perfect way to prevent the network from audio loops. You may configure some restrictions, e.g. a black/white list or block incoming connections, but if a user connects node A and B (both connected to the reflector) to a echolink conference this will create this audio problems.
I've running svxreflector and earlier the old svxserver for more than 3 years, fortunately there were no problems - without any restrictions. So be relaxed, observe the traffic and the user behavior. In case of problems, disconnect the problematic node.

73s de Adi / DL1HRC

Re: Minimum hardware for SVXreflector

Rob Janssen
Adi Bier wrote:

There is no perfect way to prevent the network from audio loops. You may configure some restrictions, e.g. a black/white list or block incoming connections, but if a user connects node A and B (both connected to the reflector) to a echolink conference this will create this audio problems.
I've running svxreflector and earlier the old svxserver for more than 3 years, fortunately there were no problems - without any restrictions.

In the early days we sometimes had the problem that the repeater was connected to a conference.
Apparently some users of the original Echolink software attempted to connect multiple repeaters, probably mostly
when they are silent, with the intention to wait until there is some qso to listen to.  They do not know or do not understand
that this way they create a conference that links the two repeaters.  Or many more.  So not only they are listening to
those repeaters, but when there is activity on one of them it is re-transmitted on all the others via their Echolink station.
Chaos, even when no audio loop occurs.  Especially with non-svxlink repeaters as they send rogerbeeps and station ID's
to the Echolink user as well.

With the setting REJECT_CONF=1 this is now prohibited and the problem does not occur anymore.

On July 22, 2017 5:24:51 PM GMT+02:00, [hidden email] wrote:
>Hi Tobias,

>[hidden email]>:
>
>One solution (sort of) is to have Echolink on all nodes but only allow
>> outgoing connections on all but one.
>>

>If I am understood in this configuration is don't not allow connect any
>stations to any echolink node in network svxreflector only is poosible
>create outgoing links from this netowrk ???

The thought is to only have one node in the SvxReflector network that accept incoming Echolink connections so that a remote station can not create a loop by connecting to two nodes in the network.

However, loop creation may not be a problem at all in reality if the users are well behaved. A sysop should be aware of the existence of the problem and be ready to act if a situation arises. That may be enough in many cases.

Setting up the SQL_TIMEOUT config variable in the reflector may also help blocking out loops if they arise.

This is not a subject that have one correct answer. A sysop will have to decide what is acceptable for their network.

73's de SM0SVX / Tobias