Quantcast

Minimum requirements?

Andreas Weller, DF1PAW
Hallo!
I would like to test the svxlink server with my echolink equipment. For this I wish to set up a system from scratch. What are the minimum computer hardware requirements? Someone told me it requires >2GHz and doesn't perform as well as the windows echolink software - but I can't belive this.
Which linux distribution should be used to make my svxlink server running as slim as possible - imho no GUI should be needed to run it.

Regards,
  Andreas Weller, DF1PAW

Re: Minimum requirements?

Tim Miller WB0RXX
[hidden email] wrote:
> Hallo! I would like to test the svxlink server with my echolink
> equipment.

Welcome Andreas!  I am sure that you will enjoy this FB software once
you get it up and running.  Tobias has really done an excellent job with
this application.

> For this I wish to set up a system from scratch. What are the minimum
> computer hardware requirements?

I am using a Pentium 200 MHz PC with 64 MB of RAM and a 2 GB HDD -- a
literal "dumpster dive" PC.

> Someone told me it requires >2GHz and doesn't perform as well as the
> windows echolink software - but I can't belive this.

I cannot comment on this, as I do not run Windows (except to get my
initial Echolink ID :-)  However, as you can see above, you most
definitely do not need to use a "high power" PC to run the Svxlink server!

To be honest, I have not run extensive tests with Echolink, but
accessing the Echotest server seems to work just fine.  The rest of the
system options work flawlessly with my hardware.

> Which linux distribution should be used to make my svxlink server
> running as slim as possible - imho no GUI should be needed to run it.

My system is running Slackware 10.1 without X-Window (GUI).  While
Slackware is not as easy to setup as some of the other distros, it is
very easy to install as a "light weight" system.

I would be happy to assist you with the steps needed in order to install
Svxlink, should you decide to go with Slackware.  Some of the libraries
were a bit hard to locate, but the whole Svxlink server installation
took me about an hour and one-half, including the time it took to
compile and configure the application.

GL es 73 de Tim

--
Tim Miller WB0RXX [EN24dw]