Quantcast

Monitor speaker

Gullik Webjorn
Hi,

How do you add a monitor speaker at a server site?

I already guessed, you define an extra Tx, configure a sound card, and
instead of TX add

a speaker. Anything else? Any drawbacks?

73 de Gullik/SM6FBD

Re: Monitor speaker

Rob Janssen
Gullik Webjorn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do you add a monitor speaker at a server site?
>
> I already guessed, you define an extra Tx, configure a sound card, and
> instead of TX add
>
> a speaker. Anything else? Any drawbacks?

Yes you can use MultiTx to drive as many transmitters as you like, and one of them
can be a dummy sound output.  We also use internet streaming, it is documented
on the website.  For that we attach a "Loopback" soundcard as a transmitter and on
the other end we attach a slightly modified "darkice" to feed an ICEcast server.
Then you can listen on internet, and that could also serve your purpose e.g. when
you occasionally visit the site and want to listen, you could use a mobile phone to
listen to the internet stream.

When you use CTCSS, the beautiful thing is that you can add CTCSS to your real
transmitter but not on the stream and a local speaker like you want, so you don't
have the "hum" of CTCSS on the output.

Some progress...comments welcome...

Gullik Webjorn
Hi again,

Status of the day: svxlink operative on either a laptop, or on a raspberry.

Radios: UV-5B

Relatively decent audio, TX on raspberry using GPIO, none on laptop.

I have tested with squelch = vox and squelch=siglev

Both work, but using siglev, I get a conflict between distortion
logging, and proper audio levels.
Vox work run s better, but I am a bit worried about siglev interaction.

When siglev is adjusted with siglevdetcal, I get quite different
settings depending on
whether I have squelch open ( obviously ) or closed ( VOX)

Q: will a remotetrx report siglev OK when using VOX, or did I just
remove the comparison value?
I.e. I (we) are planning using siglev for remote voting. It seems the
best would be to run all receivers
unsquelched, and defer that processing to "SIGLEV" to get some useable
info, but running with squelch open results in continous "distortion
detected" messages.

Q: Those of you actually running a voter, are you using squelch=vox or
squelch=siglev, or even squelch = gpio?

Well, thoughts that move us forward welcomed.....

And, UV-5B seems to work ok, and seems sensitive, and CAN run open
squelch, but intercepting audio properly seems to require surgery....(
not much squelch signal after audio bandpass, earphone out )

73 de SM6FBD