No go on latest SvxLink

Danny de Bont

Hi,

I updated to the latest SvxLink (against my better judgement) and now it doesn't work ... ;( ...

I am stuck with the following line when I start svxlink:

SimplexLogic: EventHandler script successfully loaded.

And that's it ... nothing more ...

I am running Debian 8.1 ...

Danny

Re: No go on latest SvxLink

David Ranch-3

What version did you upgrade from?  You mentioned you're running Debian 8.1 but is this on x86, ARM, or what?  Where did you get the program?  Did you compile it yourself or did you get it from "apt"?

When you start Svxlink, it should state a lot more detail than just one line.  For example, this is what I see when I start up my simplex Echolink node:

--
SvxLink v1.4.1 (May  4 2015) Copyright (C) 2003-2014 Tobias Blomberg / SM0SVX

SvxLink comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it in accordance with the terms and conditions in the
GNU GPL (General Public License) version 2 or later.

Using configuration file: /etc/svxlink/svxlink-std.conf
--- Using sample rate 48000Hz

Starting logic: SimplexLogic
SimplexLogic: Activating QSO recorder
        Module Help v1.0.0 starting...
        Module Parrot v1.1.0 starting...
        Module EchoLink v1.3.1 starting...
        Module Tcl v1.0.1 starting...
SimplexLogic: Event handler script successfully loaded.^M
Connected to APRS server 206.12.104.10 on port 14580
EchoLink directory status changed to ON
--- EchoLink directory server message: ---
EchoLink Server v2.5.9997

ECHO6: N.Virginia, USA
--

What do you see?

--David
KI6ZHD

On 07/01/2016 09:26 AM, Danny de Bont wrote:

Hi,

I updated to the latest SvxLink (against my better judgement) and now it doesn't work ... ;( ...

I am stuck with the following line when I start svxlink:

SimplexLogic: EventHandler script successfully loaded.

And that's it ... nothing more ...

I am running Debian 8.1 ...

Re: No go on latest SvxLink

Danny de Bont

I upgraded from v1.4.0 Sep 9 2015 to v1.4.0 Jul 2 2016 ...

When I start svxlink it goes through the normal startup process (as per your example) but stops at "SimplexLogic: Event handler script successfully loaded" and then the PID disappears and svxlink dies. How do I know this? Because when I "stop" svxlink I get the following: "[....] Stopping SVXLINK server: svxlinkstart-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 18466: No such process".

I have noticed that the directory of the previous version I had running were /usr/share/svxlink and the latest one's are in /usr/local/share/svxlink (or the other way around). I have removed all traces (as far as I could) of both versions of svxlink and tried the installation again, but the same error persists.

Where can I download the version I had from?

Danny

On 01 Jul 2016 8:42 PM, "David Ranch" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Rob Janssen
Danny de Bont wrote:

> I upgraded from v1.4.0 Sep 9 2015 to v1.4.0 Jul 2 2016 ...
>
> When I start svxlink it goes through the normal startup process (as per your example) but stops at "SimplexLogic: Event handler script successfully loaded" and then the PID disappears and svxlink dies. How do I know this? Because when I "stop"
> svxlink I get the following: "[....] Stopping SVXLINK server: svxlinkstart-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 18466: No such process".
>
> I have noticed that the directory of the previous version I had running were /usr/share/svxlink and the latest one's are in /usr/local/share/svxlink (or the other way around). I have removed all traces (as far as I could) of both versions of
> svxlink and tried the installation again, but the same error persists.
>
> Where can I download the version I had from?
>
> Danny

In this case look in the logfile (most likely /var/log/svxlink) or start svxlink from the command prompt (not as a service)
to see what the error is.  Most likely you will need a small modification of some config item.
You are right that you should remove all traces of the old version, for other reasons as well.  Make sure you have only
one version of files like libasync*.so  (type: locate libasync) in the library directory.  The actual directory being
used has changed between those versions.
Also, after installation make sure you type: ldconfig

Re: No go on latest SvxLink

David Ranch-3

Hello Danny,

I upgraded from v1.4.0 Sep 9 2015 to v1.4.0 Jul 2 2016 ...

As of today, the current mainline release of Svxlink is 15.11 released in November of 2016.   What are you running?  Maybe you're running tip of tree / bleeding edge GIT?

When I start svxlink it goes through the normal startup process (as per your example) but stops at "SimplexLogic: Event handler script successfully loaded" and then the PID disappears and svxlink dies. How do I know this? Because when I "stop" svxlink I get the following: "[....] Stopping SVXLINK server: svxlinkstart-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 18466: No such process".

The next step after SImplexLogic line is APRS object injection into APRS-IS enabled.  Do you have that enabled and it's configured with a valid APRS-IS passcode?  Try disabling it and see if you get farther.  If it doesn't go farther, you should try starting Svxlink with the strace program (might need to be installed).  Using something like:

   strace -f svxlink

The -f will let strace "follow" sub-processes.  Though a lot of this output will be noise, it will give you good hints to where it hangs, loops, etc.  That will help you troubleshoot further but the key point is that all Svxlink releases have been quite stable and reliable.  It's very unlikely it's the program that's broken but something specific to your installation of it.

I have noticed that the directory of the previous version I had running were /usr/share/svxlink and the latest one's are in /usr/local/share/svxlink (or the other way around). I have removed all traces (as far as I could) of both versions of svxlink and tried the installation again, but the same error persists.

You didn't answer WHERE you got these binaries from?  Just from "apt-get install"?  Something configuring /usr/local infers you locally built the program but this needs to be confirmed.

Where can I download the version I had from?

Loading older versions is probably NOT recommended as there have been some very important fixes along the way.  Regardless, once you tell us HOW you're installing the code, we can help you:

   - Built from sources : You'd get older code via the Tag'ed releases: https://github.com/sm0svx/svxlink/tags

   # highly NOT recommended
   - from a repo: http://blog.andrewbeacock.com/2007/03/how-to-install-specific-version-of.html

--David
KI6ZHD

Re: No go on latest SvxLink

Danny de Bont

O.k,

I have cleaned up all traces of svxlink, both old and new. However I might have gone a little too far as I now get the following error when doing cmake:

"Cannot find RT!"

Thank you

Danny

Re: No go on latest SvxLink

Rob Janssen
Danny de Bont wrote:

> O.k,
>
> I have cleaned up all traces of svxlink, both old and new. However I might have gone a little too far as I now get the following error when doing cmake:
>
> "Cannot find RT!"
>
> Thank you
>
> Danny

Never seen that.
When in doubt, remove your entire svxlink source directory and do a new git clone https://github.com/sm0svx/svxlink.git

Re: No go on latest SvxLink

Danny de Bont

I did get the newest from git and the compile error persists.

It would appear as if it is looking for pthread.h ...

Re: No go on latest SvxLink

Rob Janssen
Danny de Bont wrote:

> I did get the newest from git and the compile error persists.
>
> It would appear as if it is looking for pthread.h ...

Maybe you accidentally removed it?  Then re-install libpthread-stubs0-dev

Re: No go on latest SvxLink

Danny de Bont

I did re-install ... in fact I re-installed all required libraries ... cmake keeps on complaining about THREADS ...

Personally I do not think it can be resolved. I even downloaded the tar.gz file and tried installing as per instructions but even that fails with an error of a missing unistd.h ... which led me to re-install (and install MANY) libraries that has this stupid header file ...

And the initial problem was only that svxlink stops at a certain initialization file ..... ;((((((((((((((

And THAT is why I started off by saying "against my better judgement" ...