Observations from a NOOB :)

ka2pbt
Hi All,

Starting to build an SVXLINK box .... just thought I would post my findings for anyone maintaining doc or wikis. I know how it can be sometimes when you're living and dying in a project ... sometimes a fresh set of eyes can add some perspective.

I'm posting my "recipe" for how to build the box here:

Starting with a freshly imaged Ubuntu 14.04.1 server.

I've come up with a pretty concise list of additional package (post-install) that were added in order for the compile to complete.

One other thing I didn't see in the INSTALL file, is the need for an svxlink.daemon for the make install to complete.

Otherwise everything has been pretty painless. My next task will be to configure and attach a transceiver. I'll be posting notes for that as well. Don't expect anything quick ... I'm kind of doing this "in the margins" of everything else I have going on :)

Cheers!

--> Rob, KA2PBT
721st Mechanized Contest Battalion

Re: Observations from a NOOB :)

Rob Janssen
ka2pbt wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Starting to build an SVXLINK box .... just thought I would post my findings for anyone maintaining doc or wikis. I know how it can be sometimes when you're living and dying in a project ... sometimes a fresh set of eyes can add some perspective.

That is certainly true!
Some problems that newbies encounter are long forgotten by developers or active users, and also they
do not encounter all those same problems (e.g. the installation of required packages) because they do not
start with an empty system, as newbies usually do.

Of course you can edit the Wiki on svxlink.org yourself and maybe save the effort of merging your findings
with that site later.

Re: Observations from a NOOB :)

ka2pbt
I'd be more than happy to upgrade the official wiki once I have a box up and running .... but for now I'm going to use my wiki as a "scratchpad" ... I may even wipe out the box after it's done and do it again just to prove out my doc .... sorry I'm just a little OCD :D

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Rob Janssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
ka2pbt wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Starting to build an SVXLINK box .... just thought I would post my findings for anyone maintaining doc or wikis. I know how it can be sometimes when you're living and dying in a project ... sometimes a fresh set of eyes can add some perspective.

That is certainly true!
Some problems that newbies encounter are long forgotten by developers or active users, and also they
do not encounter all those same problems (e.g. the installation of required packages) because they do not
start with an empty system, as newbies usually do.

Of course you can edit the Wiki on svxlink.org yourself and maybe save the effort of merging your findings
with that site later.

Re: Observations from a NOOB :)

k9dwr
* ka2pbt <[hidden email]> [2015-05-01 16:14]:
> I'd be more than happy to upgrade the official wiki once I have a box up
> and running .... but for now I'm going to use my wiki as a "scratchpad" ...
> I may even wipe out the box after it's done and do it again just to prove
> out my doc .... sorry I'm just a little OCD :D

You aren't the only one.  I have a couple pages of notes from my fresh
install as well, with the same overall goal in mind.

One thing to note, the official install docs *on the wiki*

https://github.com/sm0svx/svxlink/wiki/InstallationInstructions

are actually pretty complete; even if the contents of the INSTALL file
in the code is a bit brief.  The problem of needing the svxlink user
created before compiling, for example, *is* in the wiki docs before the
compile steps are listed.  It's just easy to gloss over it.

What I've found is it's very easy to "just start installing" without
reading all the docs first.  That seems to be where most of the
confusion starts.  I compare it to building a desk from Ikea without
verifying you have all the pieces and reviewing all the steps first.

The biggest thing that could be done to help would be to simply make the
wiki install page more prominent or obvious on the site.  It's actually
very good documentation.  The split between sf.net, github and
svxlink.org doesn't help, either.  Having the wiki documentation be
central on ALL sites would help a lot.  There are just too many vectors
to partial information.

--
David, K9DWR

Re: Observations from a NOOB :)

Tony Langdon
On 2/05/2015 2:49 AM, David Rock wrote:

> You aren't the only one.  I have a couple pages of notes from my fresh
> install as well, with the same overall goal in mind.
>
> One thing to note, the official install docs *on the wiki*
>
> https://github.com/sm0svx/svxlink/wiki/InstallationInstructions
>
> are actually pretty complete; even if the contents of the INSTALL file
> in the code is a bit brief.  The problem of needing the svxlink user
> created before compiling, for example, *is* in the wiki docs before the
> compile steps are listed.  It's just easy to gloss over it.
The only problem I had was getting the exact package names, which vary
from distribution to distribution.  I had to do a lot of "apt cache
search" searches to get the right package names.  Either a checklist
needs to be made for each distro (easy to do in a wiki environment, if
the right people have access),  or an installer script needs to be
written that can fetch the right packages for common distros.  However,
overall, the wiki instructions are excellent, just the process of
installing dependencies can be a bit of tedious trial and error that
could easily confuse a newbie (Tip: Understand your package management
system, especially its search capabilities! :) ).

For the record, I have installed SvxLink on Debian Wheezy (i386) and
Raspbian.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Re: Observations from a NOOB :)

k9dwr
* Tony Langdon <[hidden email]> [2015-05-02 07:59]:

> The only problem I had was getting the exact package names, which vary
> from distribution to distribution.  I had to do a lot of "apt cache
> search" searches to get the right package names.  Either a checklist
> needs to be made for each distro (easy to do in a wiki environment, if
> the right people have access),  or an installer script needs to be
> written that can fetch the right packages for common distros.  However,
> overall, the wiki instructions are excellent, just the process of
> installing dependencies can be a bit of tedious trial and error that
> could easily confuse a newbie (Tip: Understand your package management
> system, especially its search capabilities! :) ).
>
> For the record, I have installed SvxLink on Debian Wheezy (i386) and
> Raspbian.

That's the same environment I'm using (raspbian).  This product is
definitely not one to start learning how to use your distro, but it will
certainly teach you a lot about it if you aren't careful. :-)

Speaking of dependencies; Doxygen kindof stinks for a dependency on
raspbian.  It takes up almost 1GB of space, which is a brutal hit on a
Pi.  It would be nice if it wasn't required (even if skipping it still
works).  I'd rather not see the error message about it missing.

--
David, K9DWR

Re: Observations from a NOOB :)

Tony Langdon
On 2/05/2015 8:28 AM, David Rock wrote:
> That's the same environment I'm using (raspbian).  This product is
> definitely not one to start learning how to use your distro, but it will
> certainly teach you a lot about it if you aren't careful. :-)
Indeed.  These were only minor bumps for me, because I've been using
Debian for the last few years and Linux of some form for over 20 years. :)

> Speaking of dependencies; Doxygen kindof stinks for a dependency on
> raspbian.  It takes up almost 1GB of space, which is a brutal hit on a
> Pi.  It would be nice if it wasn't required (even if skipping it still
> works).  I'd rather not see the error message about it missing.

I aborted that installation as soon as I saw the size and put up with
the errors.  Figured I didn't need the man pages on the Pi, I have them
on Debian anyway.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Re: Observations from a NOOB :)

k9dwr
* Tony Langdon <[hidden email]> [2015-05-02 09:11]:
> On 2/05/2015 8:28 AM, David Rock wrote:
> > Speaking of dependencies; Doxygen kindof stinks for a dependency on
> > raspbian.  It takes up almost 1GB of space, which is a brutal hit on a
> > Pi.  It would be nice if it wasn't required (even if skipping it still
> > works).  I'd rather not see the error message about it missing.
> >
> I aborted that installation as soon as I saw the size and put up with
> the errors.  Figured I didn't need the man pages on the Pi, I have them
> on Debian anyway.

Well that's what's funny about it.  You still get the man pages even if
Doxygen isn't installed, so I'm not sure what else it's building that
requires Doxygen.  I don't even see any errors during the build, just
the cmake pre-tests.

--
David, K9DWR

Re: Observations from a NOOB :)

Tobias Blomberg
On Friday 01 May 2015 18:22:44 David Rock wrote:

> * Tony Langdon <[hidden email]> [2015-05-02 09:11]:
> > On 2/05/2015 8:28 AM, David Rock wrote:
> > > Speaking of dependencies; Doxygen kindof stinks for a dependency on
> > > raspbian.  It takes up almost 1GB of space, which is a brutal hit on a
> > > Pi.  It would be nice if it wasn't required (even if skipping it still
> > > works).  I'd rather not see the error message about it missing.
> >
> > I aborted that installation as soon as I saw the size and put up with
> > the errors.  Figured I didn't need the man pages on the Pi, I have them
> > on Debian anyway.
>
> Well that's what's funny about it.  You still get the man pages even if
> Doxygen isn't installed, so I'm not sure what else it's building that
> requires Doxygen.  I don't even see any errors during the build, just
> the cmake pre-tests.

Doxygen is used to generate source code documentation for developers. The man
page generation only need groff and gzip. Thus, most people does not need to
install Doxygen at all.

I'm trying to clean up the CMake printouts bit by bit to make it more clear
what is optional and what really is an error but basically, if it builds, the
error printout was associated with something that was optional.

Re: Observations from a NOOB :)

Tony Langdon
On 2/05/2015 5:43 PM, SM0SVX wrote:
> I'm trying to clean up the CMake printouts bit by bit to make it more clear
> what is optional and what really is an error but basically, if it builds, the
> error printout was associated with something that was optional.
That's pretty much the principle I use.  If it builds, good. :)

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Re: Observations from a NOOB :)

On Friday 01 May 2015 15:47:29 ka2pbt wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Starting to build an SVXLINK box .... just thought I would post my findings
> for anyone maintaining doc or wikis. I know how it can be sometimes when
> you're living and dying in a project ... sometimes a fresh set of eyes can
> add some perspective.

Thanks for sharing your view on the install.

> I'm posting my "recipe" for how to build the box here:
> http://pabut.org/wiki/index.php?title=Build_and_configure_SVXLINK

This is the official page for installing from source on Ubuntu:

        https://github.com/sm0svx/svxlink/wiki/InstallSrcUbuntu

It's getting a bit old since no Ubuntu user have updated it. If you're going
to update it, note that all documentation in the Wiki normally references
released versions of SvxLink, so the primary need is to update the instruction
for the 14.08 version.

One could also include an instruction for how to build the latest unreleased
code from Git but the instruction then must clearly indicate that this is
bleeding edge experimental code.

Some comments about your listed dependencies: (g++ libsigc++-2.0-dev libgsm1-
dev libpopt-dev tcl-dev libgcrypt11-dev libspeex-dev libasound2-dev make alsa-
utils libqt4-dev git cmake tk tk-dev tk-dev tcl-dev Doxygen libopus-dev
libopus-doc libopus0 opus-tools librtlsdr-dev librtlsdr0 groff)

* alsa-utils, opus-tools: Really a run-time recommendation but I usually also
list those as well.
* git: Not needed if building from tar archive (obviously)
* tk, tk-dev (listed twice): Not needed by SvxLink but CMake may warn if they
are missing. This only happens on some distributions and the warning/error can
be ignored. So tk and tk-dev really is not a requirement.
* Doxygen: Only needed for developers
* libopus0, librtlsdr0: Do you really need to list these?  Aren't they
automatically installed by libopus-dev and librtlsdr-dev respectively?
* libopus-doc: What's in this package that an average SvxLink user need?

> Starting with a freshly imaged Ubuntu 14.04.1 server.
>
> I've come up with a pretty concise list of additional package
> (post-install) that were added in order for the compile to complete.
>
> One other thing I didn't see in the INSTALL file, is the need for an
> svxlink.daemon for the make install to complete.

I have updated the INSTALL file with some additional information even if the
Wiki is the primary source.

I also renamed the file from INSTALL to INSTALL.adoc since it's written in
AsciiDoc markup. This will make it render properly when clicking on it on
GitHub.

73's de SM0SVX / Tobias

> Otherwise everything has been pretty painless. My next task will be to
> configure and attach a transceiver. I'll be posting notes for that as well.
> Don't expect anything quick ... I'm kind of doing this "in the margins" of
> everything else I have going on :)
>
> Cheers!
>

> --> Rob, KA2PBT
> 721st Mechanized Contest Battalion
> http://wc2fd.com/

Re: Observations from a NOOB :)

pabutusa@gmail.com
The duplicates are probably cut and paste errors ....

Everything else was to satisfy some sort of dependency thrown out of cmake or make. Doxygen came specifically from make doc.

--> Rob

> [...]
>

>> Starting with a freshly imaged Ubuntu 14.04.1 server.
>>
>> I've come up with a pretty concise list of additional package
>> (post-install) that were added in order for the compile to complete.
>>
>> One other thing I didn't see in the INSTALL file, is the need for an
>> svxlink.daemon for the make install to complete.
>
> I have updated the INSTALL file with some additional information even if the
> Wiki is the primary source.
>
> I also renamed the file from INSTALL to INSTALL.adoc since it's written in
> AsciiDoc markup. This will make it render properly when clicking on it on
> GitHub.
>
> 73's de SM0SVX / Tobias
>

>> Otherwise everything has been pretty painless. My next task will be to
>> configure and attach a transceiver. I'll be posting notes for that as well.
>> Don't expect anything quick ... I'm kind of doing this "in the margins" of

Re: Observations from a NOOB :)

pabutusa@gmail.com
Whoops ... Hit send to fast ...

Some of the other packages explicitly listed could have been pulled in by other packages that depended on them but I was just trying to figure out what was needed from apt-cache search output

--> Rob

> [...]
>>

>>> Starting with a freshly imaged Ubuntu 14.04.1 server.
>>>
>>> I've come up with a pretty concise list of additional package
>>> (post-install) that were added in order for the compile to complete.
>>>
>>> One other thing I didn't see in the INSTALL file, is the need for an
>>> svxlink.daemon for the make install to complete.
>>
>> I have updated the INSTALL file with some additional information even if the
>> Wiki is the primary source.
>>
>> I also renamed the file from INSTALL to INSTALL.adoc since it's written in
>> AsciiDoc markup. This will make it render properly when clicking on it on
>> GitHub.
>>
>> 73's de SM0SVX / Tobias
>>

>>> Otherwise everything has been pretty painless. My next task will be to
>>> configure and attach a transceiver. I'll be posting notes for that as well.
>>> Don't expect anything quick ... I'm kind of doing this "in the margins" of

Re: Observations from a NOOB :)

On Saturday 02 May 2015 11:23:33 [hidden email] wrote:
> The duplicates are probably cut and paste errors ....
>
> Everything else was to satisfy some sort of dependency thrown out of cmake
> or make. Doxygen came specifically from make doc.

Doxygen is not required by "make doc". If it's not installed, doxygen
documentation is not generated.

Groff was required though, which I thought it wasn't. I have fixed that now so
that if Groff is not installed a "make doc" will not try to build the manual
pages.

I have also added some explanatory printouts for optional dependencies to
emphasize that it's not an error if they are missing.

73's de SM0SVX / Tobias