Qtel behind hotspot

Robert

I am trying to run Qtel on a Linux laptop that is connected to the internet through an IPhone hotspot. The outbound is fine, but I am loosing all the inbound (to qtel) packets. I would assume that hotspot is giving out its ip address to svxlink and thus doesn’t know about my hotspot ip address for qtel laptop. Is there any way to make this work? There is no router involved so there is no (that I know of ) way to do a port forward on the iPhone.

Ideas?

Robert Grimes

Re: Qtel behind hotspot

Rob Janssen
Robert wrote:

I am trying to run Qtel on a Linux laptop that is connected to the internet through an IPhone hotspot. The outbound is fine, but I am loosing all the inbound (to qtel) packets. I would assume that hotspot is giving out its ip address to svxlink and thus doesn’t know about my hotspot ip address for qtel laptop. Is there any way to make this work? There is no router involved so there is no (that I know of ) way to do a port forward on the iPhone.

Ideas?

Robert Grimes

Configure a proxy server.
Qtel does not offer automatic proxy server selection, but you can visit this page:
http://echolink.org/proxylist.jsp

Then pick a proxy in the top part of the list that is in Ready state (those are closest to you).

A proxy can only serve a single user.  When it is busy you will not be able to connect to Echolink.
When that happens you will need to select a different proxy that time.

Re: Qtel behind hotspot

Robert

Let me be sure I understand the implications.

Let’s say we have a svxlink server behind a router with a public IP of 1.1.1.1 and the router port forwards 5198 and 5199 to the actual machine at 192.168.0.10. That is all good and we know works fine.

Now I am traveling around with my laptop with Qtel on it. Since I am not at one place all the time, I am going to use my iPhone as a hotspot. When I get on my hotspot, the iPhone IP is 74.125.1.1 and the laptop then gets an IP of 74.125.1.100. From what you are saying, I would then need to look up the public echolink proxy servers and find one that is not busy (hopefully close) and put that IP in my Qtel proxy settings. If correct, that makes sense. However, if later in the day I want to get back on Qtel, I would need to again look for a non-busy public proxy server and reconfigure Qtel proxy if the one I use earlier in the day is now busy. This seems to mean I have to constantly check the public proxy list to see if the current proxy server is now busy and make a change.

Do I have this correct?

Robert wrote:

[...]

Yes, that is correct.  However, in practice it is not as dramatic as you describe because proxy usage is quite low (especially after I released
code to deploy massive proxy farms on relatively small machines...  you only need lots of IP addresses to run them).

So when you find a proxy like 20 entries from the top you may well find it available the next time you try it.
You can also run your own proxy with a personal password, and it will not appear in the list for others to connect so it will always be
available.  To do so, you need a system on a public IP address or behind a NAT router with port forwarding, that is not already running some
other Echolink application (like svxlink).  In Echolink, 1 IP equals 1 user/system.

In Qtel, proxy selection is static.  This is the same as in the Windows version of EchoLink.
In the "mobile app" version of EchoLink there also is an option "automatic proxy", which does the above process automatically.
It downloads the proxy list, and takes a random available proxy near the top of the list.  When connect fails, it moves down.
The same code could be crafted for Qtel (or better: the Echolink library used by Qtel and svxlink) as well.  Unfortunately there
does not appear to be a URL that downloads some defined format like CSV or XML, so it has to have some parsing of the HTML
and one has to hope the layout does not suddenly change (and at least make sure a meaningful error is displayed in that case).

Of course the "mobile app" version also supports "relay" servers.  This is also an automatically configured server, however it
does not allow incoming connections.   Svxlink does not support relays.  Support could be added, but of course it is not desirable
to have only outgoing connect capability.

Re: Qtel behind hotspot

Robert

Thanks, this confirms about everything I expected. I tried a proxy of my own, but the limit of 1 per static ip stopped any real use other than in a simple demo mode.

Interesting idea of how the mobile app scans and finds an free proxy from the list. This gives me some ideas.

Again, thanks.

Robert wrote:

Thanks, this confirms about everything I expected. I tried a proxy of my own, but the limit of 1 per static ip stopped any real use other than in a simple demo mode.

Some people are also discouraged to run proxies by the huge use of resources by the proxy program on the echolink.org site.
When you want to run an efficient proxy try my code at http://pe1chl.nl.eu.org/Softw/elproxy.tar.gz
I have it running on a Raspberry Pi (that same system where it can be downloaded) and also run the 200 PI9NOZ proxies (and 10 relays).
Other people use the same program to run hundreds of proxies as well.

Interesting idea of how the mobile app scans and finds an free proxy from the list. This gives me some ideas.

Ok, when you want to explore that it would be welcome when you further analyze what the app really does and if it may have
access to a more compact (and better defined) list using some other URL that I have not yet discovered.