Question about Linking and Echlink

Joe Erlewein N8CN
Hello -
I was introduced to svxlink through the OpenRepeater project.

Basically, I liked what OpenRepeater’s mission was, and was excited to use it.

Once I got their beta image up and running on my RPi2, I quickly realized svxlink was under the hood. I was unfamiliar with svxlink. simply hadn’t heard of it.

Now.. I freaking LOVE it. i’ve deviated a LOT from the default OpenRepeater image and will likely start creating nodes from here on out with a straight Jesse image on RPi units with GPIO support.

That said, here’s my current situation. I’ve got a primary RX and TX pair as RepeaterLogic. I’ve got another radio I want to use as a “remote base”  to connect with other repeaters int he area. It’s using a custom-defined logic with type “Simplex”

here are my observations that I’d like to see if I can correct;

1) Any DTMF command entered on the main type “Repeater” side causes a TX on the remote base, with no TX audio. Not sure why. Doesn’t matter if link defaults to always up, or always down or with a timeout or not. For instance: the link is down, I enter 2# to open ModuleEcholink. The remote base radio TX’s for about 1.5 second for no reason, with no audio.

2) When ModuleEcholink is active, the Echolink user can hear what the main repeater receives, and also what the remote base receives. The EchoLink user can transmit, and audio comes through the main repeater TX unit but the remote base unit also transmits, but no audio is routed. Also doesn’t matter if I include ModuleEcholink in the Logic section for the remote base unit (you’ll see it below..)

3) Otherwise, the remote base works fine. I can use my repeater to link to another local repeater and it works great, in both directions, so I know I have no issues with COS, PTT, or TX/RX audio on any of the gear.

I’m including my current config for analysis. Any ideas here, or should I start looking at cloning an event tcl file and editing it in a custom manner?

Thanks for any input!
Joe N8CN
(PROUD operator of a svxlink-based system! Great job guys!)

[GLOBAL]
MODULE_PATH=/usr/lib/svxlink
LOGICS=RepeaterLogic,LocalLinkLogic
LINKS=LocalLink
CFG_DIR=svxlink.d
TIMESTAMP_FORMAT="%c"
CARD_SAMPLE_RATE=16000
LOCATION_INFO=KTVC

[RepeaterLogic]
TYPE=Repeater
RX=Rx1
TX=Tx1
MODULES=ModuleHelp,ModuleParrot,ModuleEchoLink,ModuleTclVoiceMail,ModuleSelCallEnc
CALLSIGN=N8CN
SHORT_IDENT_INTERVAL=10
LONG_IDENT_INTERVAL=60
IDENT_ONLY_AFTER_TX=4
EVENT_HANDLER=/usr/share/svxlink/events.tcl
DEFAULT_LANG=en_US
RGR_SOUND_DELAY=200
REPORT_CTCSS=114
TX_CTCSS=ALWAYS
MACROS=Macros
FX_GAIN_NORMAL=0
FX_GAIN_LOW=-4
IDLE_TIMEOUT=4
OPEN_ON_SQL=1
OPEN_ON_CTCSS=114:300
OPEN_SQL_FLANK=OPEN
OPEN_ON_DTMF=1
#IDLE_SOUND_INTERVAL=8000
IDENT_NAG_TIMEOUT=20
IDENT_NAG_MIN_TIME=1200
SQL_FLAP_SUP_MIN_TIME=500
SQL_FLAP_SUP_MAX_COUNT=8

[LocalLinkLogic]
TYPE=Simplex
RX=Rx2
TX=Tx2
MODULES=ModuleEchoLink,ModuleSelCallEnc
CALLSIGN=N8CN
EVENT_HANDLER=/usr/share/svxlink/events.tcl

[LocalLink]
CONNECT_LOGICS=RepeaterLogic:86:W8TCM,LocalLinkLogic:00:N8CN
TIMEOUT=600
DEFAULT_ACTIVE=0

[Rx1]
TYPE=Local
AUDIO_DEV=alsa:plughw:0
AUDIO_CHANNEL=1
CTCSS_FQ=114
DEEMPHASIS=1
SQL_TAIL_ELIM=130
PREAMP=-8
PEAK_METER=1
DTMF_HANGTIME=80
DTMF_MAX_FWD_TWIST=12
DTMF_MAX_REV_TWIST=8
SQL_DET=GPIO
GPIO_SQL_PIN=gpio22
SQL_HANGTIME=8
SQL_START_DELAY=1
SQL_DELAY=8
SQL_TIMEOUT=120
SIGLEV_SLOPE=1
SIGLEV_OFFSET=0
SIGLEV_OPEN_THRESH=20
SIGLEV_CLOSE_THRESH=8
DEEMPHASIS=1
DTMF_DEC_TYPE=INTERNAL
DTMF_MUTING=1
DTMF_HANGTIME=80

[Rx2]
TYPE=Local
AUDIO_DEV=alsa:plughw:0
AUDIO_CHANNEL=0
CTCSS_FQ=114.8
DEEMPHASIS=0
SQL_TAIL_ELIM=120
PREAMP=-1
PEAK_METER=1
DTMF_HANGTIME=80
DTMF_MAX_FWD_TWIST=12
DTMF_MAX_REV_TWIST=8
SQL_DET=GPIO
GPIO_SQL_PIN=gpio23
SQL_HANGTIME=10
SQL_START_DELAY=1700
SQL_DELAY=50
SQL_TIMEOUT=120
SIGLEV_SLOPE=1
SIGLEV_OFFSET=0
SIGLEV_OPEN_THRESH=20
SIGLEV_CLOSE_THRESH=5
DTMF_DEC_TYPE=INTERNAL
DTMF_MUTING=1
DTMF_HANGTIME=100

[Tx1]
TYPE=Local
AUDIO_DEV=alsa:plughw:0
AUDIO_CHANNEL=0
PTT_TYPE=GPIO
PTT_PORT=GPIO
PTT_PIN=gpio27
PTT_HANGTIME=200
TIMEOUT=900
TX_DELAY=200
CTCSS_FQ=114
CTCSS_LEVEL=30
PREEMPHASIS=0
DTMF_TONE_LENGTH=200
DTMF_TONE_SPACING=80
DTMF_TONE_AMP=-20

[Tx2]
TYPE=Local
AUDIO_DEV=alsa:plughw:0
AUDIO_CHANNEL=1
PTT_TYPE=GPIO
PTT_PORT=GPIO
PTT_PIN=gpio17
PTT_HANGTIME=100
TIMEOUT=300
TX_DELAY=200
CTCSS_FQ=114
CTCSS_LEVEL=59
PREEMPHASIS=1
DTMF_TONE_LENGTH=100
DTMF_TONE_SPACING=50
DTMF_TONE_AMP=-18

[KTVC]
STATUS_SERVER_LIST=aprs.echolink.org:5199
APRS_SERVER_LIST=noam.aprs2.net:14580
BEACON_INTERVAL=30
LAT_POSITION=44.44.11N
LON_POSITION=85.36.12W
CALLSIGN=EL-N8CN
FREQUENCY=444.400
TX_POWER=10
ANTENNA_GAIN=8
ANTENNA_HEIGHT=10m
ANTENNA_DIR=-1
PATH=WIDE1-1
TONE=114
COMMENT=SvxLink node N8CN/R, Short-range repeater for remote ops.

[Macros]
1=EchoLink:56464#
49=EchoLink:9999#
100=Parrot:0123456789#

Re: Question about Linking and Echlink

Tobias Blomberg
Hi Joe,

On Saturday 07 November 2015 14:21:28 Joe Erlewein N8CN wrote:

> Hello -
> I was introduced to svxlink through the OpenRepeater project.
>
> Basically, I liked what OpenRepeater’s mission was, and was excited to use
> it.
>
> Once I got their beta image up and running on my RPi2, I quickly realized
> svxlink was under the hood. I was unfamiliar with svxlink. simply hadn’t
> heard of it.
>
> Now.. I freaking LOVE it. i’ve deviated a LOT from the default OpenRepeater
> image and will likely start creating nodes from here on out with a straight
> Jesse image on RPi units with GPIO support.

I'm glad you like it :-)

> That said, here’s my current situation. I’ve got a primary RX and TX pair as
> RepeaterLogic. I’ve got another radio I want to use as a “remote base”  to
> connect with other repeaters int he area. It’s using a custom-defined logic
> with type “Simplex”

First, what version of SvxLink are you running?

> here are my observations that I’d like to see if I can correct;
>
> 1) Any DTMF command entered on the main type “Repeater” side causes a TX on
> the remote base, with no TX audio. Not sure why. Doesn’t matter if link
> defaults to always up, or always down or with a timeout or not. For
> instance: the link is down, I enter 2# to open ModuleEcholink. The remote
> base radio TX’s for about 1.5 second for no reason, with no audio.

The EchoLink module should not be loaded in the simplex logic. SvxLink can
only have the EchoLink module loaded in one and only one logic, otherwise you
will get conflicts.

If the link to the simplex logic is not active, nothing should get through and
the simplex logic should definitely not transmit unless it's trying to send an
identification. If it's active or not by default does not matter. What matters
is if it's currently active when you issue the DTMF command. If it's active,
of course you will get a transmission on the simplex logic when entering DTMF
since that will (probably) open the squelch on the repeater RX. Since you have
DTMF muting active it will just be a silent TX on the simplex logic side.

When does the transmission occur? Is is while you enter the DTMF or after you
have entered it?

> 2) When ModuleEcholink is active, the Echolink user can hear what the main
> repeater receives, and also what the remote base receives. The EchoLink
> user can transmit, and audio comes through the main repeater TX unit but
> the remote base unit also transmits, but no audio is routed. Also doesn’t
> matter if I include ModuleEcholink in the Logic section for the remote base
> unit (you’ll see it below..)

Hmmm... If possible, it would be interesting if you could try to use two
separate sound devices for the two logics, at least for TX. I know there have
previously been issues when using two channels on the same sound device where
the audio get blocked in some strange state.

> 3) Otherwise, the remote base works fine. I can use my repeater to link to
> another local repeater and it works great, in both directions, so I know I
> have no issues with COS, PTT, or TX/RX audio on any of the gear.
>
> I’m including my current config for analysis. Any ideas here, or should I
> start looking at cloning an event tcl file and editing it in a custom
> manner?

I don't know what you expect to fix by editing the TCL files. They are mostly
there to adjust how announcements are played back. However, I've seen cases
where non-standard TCL files have been used that have caused strange errors. If
you are not using the standard TCL files (as distributed by the SvxLink
project), you may want to test using a default setup.

73's de SM0SVX / Tobias