Quantcast

Raspberry PI and GPIO

Robert

I am trying to get GPIO2 to go on when PTT. I know the pin works using a simple c program (connected to LED).

My config file has

PTT_TYPE=GPIO

PTT_PORT=GPIO #Not sure what this is supposed to be?

PTT_PIN=GPIO2

I have run the

 chown svxlink /sys/class/gpio2/value

command.

I am running under the pi user which is the default user for the pi.

When I start svxlink I get an error

Could not open GPIO /sys/class/gpio/GPIO2/value for writing in transmitter Tx1.

I have tried setting ownership of the value file to svxlink, root, added svxlink to gpio group, nothing works.

What am I missing?

Robert Grimes

Re: Raspberry PI and GPIO

Marius Petrescu

Robert,

This should be enough:

PTT_TYPE=GPIO

PTT_PIN=GPIO2

Try to run svxlink as root to see if it as permission thing.
If yes, you need to set permission to /sys/class/gpio2/value and /sys/class/gpio2/direction

Marius, YO2LOJ

Re: Raspberry PI and GPIO

Robert

I have run sudo svxlink but no help.

Try to run svxlink as root to see if it as permission thing.

If yes, you need to set permission to /sys/class/gpio2/value and /sys/class/gpio2/direction

Marius, YO2LOJ

Re: Raspberry PI and GPIO

Marius Petrescu
By the way,

The pin is called gpio2, not GPIO2, and Linux is case sensitive.
So it should go:

PTT_TYPE=GPIO

PTT_PIN=gpio2

Sent: Monday, January 25, 2016 04:19

I have run sudo svxlink but no help.

Try to run svxlink as root to see if it as permission thing.

If yes, you need to set permission to /sys/class/gpio2/value and /sys/class/gpio2/direction

Marius, YO2LOJ

Re: Raspberry PI and GPIO

Robert

That helped eliminate the error. I just forgot about the case insensitivity.

However, the pi doesn’t respond with anything happening on the pin. To be clear, I am looking for a signal on GPIO2 which is pin 3 on the pi. I have a simple led circuit and a program that monitor the pin. Neither show any activity when svxlink turns tx on or off. I know the circuit work as a simple c test program blinks the led and the monitor detects the action.

I must be missing something. Is there some other config option I need to set?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Sent: Monday, January 25, 2016 04:19

I have run sudo svxlink but no help.

Try to run svxlink as root to see if it as permission thing.

If yes, you need to set permission to /sys/class/gpio2/value and /sys/class/gpio2/direction

Marius, YO2LOJ

Re: Raspberry PI and GPIO

Robert

Also, to be sure I am doing this correctly, I am testing by using Qtel and clicking on the PTT button which shows TX transmitter on and off at svxlink.

Sent: Monday, January 25, 2016 04:19

I have run sudo svxlink but no help.

Try to run svxlink as root to see if it as permission thing.

If yes, you need to set permission to /sys/class/gpio2/value and /sys/class/gpio2/direction

Marius, YO2LOJ

Re: Raspberry PI and GPIO

Robert

It took a while, but I got it to work. The problem was that somehow I had put the direction file to contain in instead of out. Changing that made everything work.

Sent: Monday, January 25, 2016 04:19

I have run sudo svxlink but no help.

Try to run svxlink as root to see if it as permission thing.

If yes, you need to set permission to /sys/class/gpio2/value and /sys/class/gpio2/direction

Marius, YO2LOJ

Re: Raspberry PI and GPIO

F5VMR Orange
Ah! Murphy's rule got applied. Well done for sorting it.
Chris

Sent from my iPad

Sent: Monday, January 25, 2016 04:19

I have run sudo svxlink but no help.

Try to run svxlink as root to see if it as permission thing.

If yes, you need to set permission to /sys/class/gpio2/value and /sys/class/gpio2/direction

Marius, YO2LOJ

Re: Raspberry PI and GPIO

Robert

The thing that is interesting is that svxlink did not detect it failed. I checked the code.

Sent: Monday, January 25, 2016 04:19