Raspberry Pi 3/B+, SignaLink USB, and Baofeng HT

Raspberry Pi 3/B+, SignaLink USB, and Baofeng HT

Kevin Culp
Hello,

I'm new to the group and to svxlink. Thanks to all for the many, many hours/days/years of work that have gone into developing and supporting this software.

I'm building a low-end EchoLink server on a Raspberry Pi 3/B running Raspbian Jessie, fed through a Tigertronics SignaLink USB into a Baofeng UV-5R handheld.

First, the good news, in the hope that someone else can benefit from this.

- I had attempted to use the SignaLink on a Windows PC with EchoLink in Sysop mode. However, the transmit VOX didn't work well at all due to the SignaLink's delay in picking up the voice content. The ID, other announcements, and transmissions coming from users connected online were consistently cut-off and occasionally dropped (during silent pauses), and the Windows EchoLink software provided no good way around this unless I wanted to tinker with a separate PTT circuit.

- That challenge was easily solved in svxlink simply by editing svxlink.conf and setting TX_CTCSS=ALWAYS in the SimplexLogic section, and in Tx1 set TX_DELAY=1000, CTCSS_FQ=103.5 (or another low-frequency PL tone), and CTCSS_LEVEL=40 (could be lower or higher, dependent upon TX dial settings on the SignaLink USB device). This configuration works wonderfully well.  Great job with this, developers!!!

But I do have a couple of challenges, and respectfully ask for some help.

- I've discovered that alsa doesn't want to provide any control over the input (mic) audio. FLDIGI picks up the audio feed from the radio and works just fine, and arecord works, but there are no audio controls available in amixer, nor can I set the mic levels via "amixer cset." Is this solvable? I know the TI2904 chipset isn't officially supported in Raspbian/Linux. Is that the reason mic controls aren't available? Is there a way around this?

- Using RX VOX, an incoming signal through the local radio link opens the svxlink software squelch, but the svxlink squelch closes very shortly afterwards... barely long enough to pass my voice through the EchoLink servers. I lengthened SQL_HANGTIME to ensure the voice signal was making it through, and checked it with the ECHOLINK test server. Levels appear to be okay. Nevertheless, the squelch opens and closes based on the SQL_HANGTIME setting. If I hold the transmit button for a longer duration than the SQL_HANGTIME setting specifies, the squelch opens/closes at the beginning of the transmission, and opens/closes at the end when I release the PTT on the independent transmitter. Can anyone offer a few quick tips for me to resolve this?

Thanks so much!
Kevin, KZ3L

Re: Raspberry Pi 3/B+, SignaLink USB, and Baofeng HT

Rob Janssen
Kevin Culp wrote:

> - I've discovered that alsa doesn't want to provide any control over the input (mic) audio. FLDIGI picks up the audio feed from the radio and works just fine, and arecord works, but there are no audio controls available in amixer, nor can I set the
> mic levels via "amixer cset." Is this solvable? I know the TI2904 chipset isn't officially supported in Raspbian/Linux. Is that the reason mic controls aren't available? Is there a way around this?

There sometimes are mistakes in the naming of the controls in Alsa. I don't know if this is just sloppy maintenance, or of there is some
fundamental problem in the enumeration of the controls and their functions in a sound chip.
(e.g. it depends not only on the chip but also the board layout)

I normally use alsamixer to set the volumes and some controls appear on the wrong panel.
E.g. on the "playback" panel appears a Line control with a volume slider and mute button,
but in reality the mute button controls line playback and the volume slider controls line capture volume.
On the capture screen there also are controls, but no volume control for the Line capture.  That other
control should have been there.

This is very confusing when first setting any type of soundcard. You often need to twiddle around
with all the controls to find what is really doing what.  We run full repeaters, and it is very important
that there is no feed-through directly from the line in to the line out.  That is what the line control on
the playback screen is normally controlling.  So you want to set that to zero.  But in this case, that is
the wrong setting, because the slider controls the input volume. Fortunately the mute button is working,
so with Line set to muted on the playback screen but with the volume slider open, it works as it should.

With other types of soundcard, this particular problem does not occur, but there are other problems
like not being able to select the Line input for capture (only Mic working).  Probably also due to wrong
controls.

So, check using alsamixer if any other available controls, also the ones you don't think are correct, are
doing what you need.

Re: Raspberry Pi 3/B+, SignaLink USB, and Baofeng HT

F5VMR Orange
On alsamixer type Cntrl f5 to access the microphone levels.
Chris f5vmr

Sent from my iPhone

> On 10 Aug 2016, at 09:38, Rob Janssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Kevin Culp wrote:
>>
>> - I've discovered that alsa doesn't want to provide any control over the input (mic) audio. FLDIGI picks up the audio feed from the radio and works just fine, and arecord works, but there are no audio controls available in amixer, nor can I set the
>> mic levels via "amixer cset." Is this solvable? I know the TI2904 chipset isn't officially supported in Raspbian/Linux. Is that the reason mic controls aren't available? Is there a way around this?
>
> There sometimes are mistakes in the naming of the controls in Alsa. I don't know if this is just sloppy maintenance, or of there is some
> fundamental problem in the enumeration of the controls and their functions in a sound chip.
> (e.g. it depends not only on the chip but also the board layout)
>
> I normally use alsamixer to set the volumes and some controls appear on the wrong panel.
> E.g. on the "playback" panel appears a Line control with a volume slider and mute button,
> but in reality the mute button controls line playback and the volume slider controls line capture volume.
> On the capture screen there also are controls, but no volume control for the Line capture.  That other
> control should have been there.
>
> This is very confusing when first setting any type of soundcard. You often need to twiddle around
> with all the controls to find what is really doing what.  We run full repeaters, and it is very important
> that there is no feed-through directly from the line in to the line out.  That is what the line control on
> the playback screen is normally controlling.  So you want to set that to zero.  But in this case, that is
> the wrong setting, because the slider controls the input volume. Fortunately the mute button is working,
> so with Line set to muted on the playback screen but with the volume slider open, it works as it should.
>
> With other types of soundcard, this particular problem does not occur, but there are other problems
> like not being able to select the Line input for capture (only Mic working).  Probably also due to wrong
> controls.
>
> So, check using alsamixer if any other available controls, also the ones you don't think are correct, are
> doing what you need.
>
> Rob

Re: Raspberry Pi 3/B+, SignaLink USB, and Baofeng HT

Kevin Culp
Thank you, Chris and Rob.

Unfortunately, there is no "Capture" control tab nor mute buttons--just sliders for PCM playback volume.  Selecting F4 in the alsamixer displays the message, "This sound device does not have any capture controls,"  and F5 (much like F3) displays only the playback controls for the left and right channels.

Basically I'm left with no means to adjust the input volume.

Kevin
_____________________________
On alsamixer type Cntrl f5 to access the microphone levels.
Chris f5vmr

Sent from my iPhone

> On 10 Aug 2016, at 09:38, Rob Janssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Kevin Culp wrote:
>>
>> - I've discovered that alsa doesn't want to provide any control over the input (mic) audio. FLDIGI picks up the audio feed from the radio and works just fine, and arecord works, but there are no audio controls available in amixer, nor can I set the
>> mic levels via "amixer cset." Is this solvable? I know the TI2904 chipset isn't officially supported in Raspbian/Linux. Is that the reason mic controls aren't available? Is there a way around this?
>
> There sometimes are mistakes in the naming of the controls in Alsa. I don't know if this is just sloppy maintenance, or of there is some
> fundamental problem in the enumeration of the controls and their functions in a sound chip.
> (e.g. it depends not only on the chip but also the board layout)
>
> I normally use alsamixer to set the volumes and some controls appear on the wrong panel.
> E.g. on the "playback" panel appears a Line control with a volume slider and mute button,
> but in reality the mute button controls line playback and the volume slider controls line capture volume.
> On the capture screen there also are controls, but no volume control for the Line capture. That other
> control should have been there.
>
> This is very confusing when first setting any type of soundcard. You often need to twiddle around
> with all the controls to find what is really doing what. We run full repeaters, and it is very important
> that there is no feed-through directly from the line in to the line out. That is what the line control on
> the playback screen is normally controlling. So you want to set that to zero. But in this case, that is
> the wrong setting, because the slider controls the input volume. Fortunately the mute button is working,
> so with Line set to muted on the playback screen but with the volume slider open, it works as it should.
>
> With other types of soundcard, this particular problem does not occur, but there are other problems
> like not being able to select the Line input for capture (only Mic working). Probably also due to wrong
> controls.
>
> So, check using alsamixer if any other available controls, also the ones you don't think are correct, are
> doing what you need.
>
> Rob

Re: Raspberry Pi 3/B+, SignaLink USB, and Baofeng HT

F5VMR Orange
This suggests that your sound card is not correctly installed. All seven of my raspberry have USB sound cards and alsamixer shows the relevant sliders for speakers and mic.
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On 10 Aug 2016, at 15:17, Kevin Culp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> the playback screen is normally controlling. So you want to set that to zero. But in this case, that is
> the wrong setting, because the slider controls the input volume. Fortunately the mute button is working,
> so with Line set to muted on the playback screen but with the volume slider open, it works as it should.
>
> With other types of soundcard, this particular problem does not occur, but there are other problems
> like not being able to select the Line input for capture (only Mic working). Probably also due to wrong
> controls.
>
> So, check using alsamixer if any other available controls, also the ones you don't think are correct, are
> doing what you need.
>
> Rob

Re: Raspberry Pi 3/B+, SignaLink USB, and Baofeng HT

Matthew Miller
I have had mixed results with USB sound cards that aren't on the officially supporred list.  I got mine off Amazon from a listing where many reviews specifically said they useRaspberry Pi and it shows both speaker and mic gain.

Did you verify the right sound card is selected?

I think I used the command something like "sudo alsamixer -c 1" but don't hold me to that I don't have it in front of me.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone