Quantcast

Re: Question about Linking and Echlink

Joe Erlewein N8CN

> I?ve got a primary RX and TX pair as
> RepeaterLogic. I?ve got another radio I want to use as a ?remote base?  to
> connect with other repeaters int he area. It?s using a custom-defined logic
> with type ?Simplex?

> First, what version of SvxLink are you running?

SvxLink v1.4.1 (Jul  6 2015)

> 1) Any DTMF command entered on the main type ?Repeater? side causes a TX on
> the remote base, with no TX audio. Not sure why. Doesn?t matter if link
> defaults to always up, or always down or with a timeout or not. For
> instance: the link is down, I enter 2# to open ModuleEcholink. The remote
> base radio TX?s for about 1.5 second for no reason, with no audio.

>The EchoLink module should not be loaded in the simplex logic. SvxLink can
>only have the EchoLink module loaded in one and only one logic, otherwise you
>will get conflicts.

Gotcha. I have the module declared only in RepeaterLogic now.

>If the link to the simplex logic is not active, nothing should get through and
>the simplex logic should definitely not transmit unless it's trying to send an
>identification. If it's active or not by default does not matter. What matters
>is if it's currently active when you issue the DTMF command. If it's active,
>of course you will get a transmission on the simplex logic when entering DTMF
>since that will (probably) open the squelch on the repeater RX. Since you have
>DTMF muting active it will just be a silent TX on the simplex logic side.

OK. I understand. But what I am experiencing seems to contradict the above.

For example: when the link is not active (repeater use is as normal, no link transmitting, and receiving on it goes nowhere), if I enter DTMF commands to the repeater (if I go into voicemail or something for example) the link transmitter will key up and transmit immediately AFTER I enter the pound sign and un-key, just as the voice begins to respond to my commands. Strange, eh? (if the remote repeater that the link transceiver is programmed to access is in use, my link transmitter will transmit OVER a user on the system, causing jamming.. due to this, I still have the PTT disabled in GPIO to prevent interference). If the link is Active, it works just fine now (see below re: audio) and I can tell to not enter DTMF commands when there’s someone using the system :).

>When does the transmission occur? Is is while you enter the DTMF or after you
>have entered it?

Just after terminating any (including invalid) commands with # and un-keying will cause the link transmitter to key up. It seems as if it would like to send a “notification” that a command was entered, so PTT goes active but there’s no audio/signal sent to the Tx2 device. Very strange.

> 2) When ModuleEcholink is active, the Echolink user can hear what the main
> repeater receives, and also what the remote base receives. The EchoLink
> user can transmit, and audio comes through the main repeater TX unit but
> the remote base unit also transmits, but no audio is routed. Also doesn?t
> matter if I include ModuleEcholink in the Logic section for the remote base
> unit (you?ll see it below..)

>Hmmm... If possible, it would be interesting if you could try to use two
>separate sound devices for the two logics, at least for TX. I know there have
>previously been issues when using two channels on the same sound device where
>the audio get blocked in some strange state.

This absolutely solved the issue. As time went on, I began to realize that when the link is disabled, the link RX audio would still come through on the main transmit, and also any echolink user would hear it as well. But only when the COS was active on the main repeater receiver. Essentially, I think this was due to bad hardware or software “seperation” between the L and R input channels on the USB sound device in use. I have not tried a “new” or “other” brand/chipset of USB audio device, but simply added another device, declared alsa:plughw:0 and alsa:plughw:1 and used where needed.

Everything audio-wise runs smoothly now! Thank you for this suggestion!

> 3) Otherwise, the remote base works fine. I can use my repeater to link to
> another local repeater and it works great, in both directions, so I know I
> have no issues with COS, PTT, or TX/RX audio on any of the gear.
>
> I?m including my current config for analysis. Any ideas here, or should I
> start looking at cloning an event tcl file and editing it in a custom
> manner?

>I don't know what you expect to fix by editing the TCL files. They are mostly
>there to adjust how announcements are played back. However, I've seen cases
>where non-standard TCL files have been used that have caused strange errors. If
>you are not using the standard TCL files (as distributed by the SvxLink
>project), you may want to test using a default setup.
>
>73's de SM0SVX / Tobias

I didn’t edit the TCL files, just noticed that some are there and wondered what editing them would do. Based on the above, I determined that the cautionary note and my lack of understanding of TCL means I should just leave them alone .. so I have :)

Thank you Tobias !
73 de Joe N8CN

Re: Question about Linking and Echlink

SM0SVX
On Monday 30 November 2015 12:02:48 Joe Erlewein N8CN wrote:
> > I?ve got a primary RX and TX pair as
> > RepeaterLogic. I?ve got another radio I want to use as a ?remote base?  to
> > connect with other repeaters int he area. It?s using a custom-defined
> > logic
> > with type ?Simplex?
> >
> > First, what version of SvxLink are you running?
>
> SvxLink v1.4.1 (Jul  6 2015)

You may have noticed I just made a new release of the software. If possible,
try the new release.

> >When does the transmission occur? Is is while you enter the DTMF or after
> >you have entered it?
>
> Just after terminating any (including invalid) commands with # and un-keying
> will cause the link transmitter to key up. It seems as if it would like to
> send a “notification” that a command was entered, so PTT goes active but
> there’s no audio/signal sent to the Tx2 device. Very strange.

Very strange indeed. Hopefully the new version will resolve the problem but
that would be pure luck.

> >I don't know what you expect to fix by editing the TCL files. They are
> >mostly there to adjust how announcements are played back. However, I've
> >seen cases where non-standard TCL files have been used that have caused
> >strange errors. If you are not using the standard TCL files (as
> >distributed by the SvxLink project), you may want to test using a default
> >setup.
> >
> >73's de SM0SVX / Tobias
>
> I didn’t edit the TCL files, just noticed that some are there and wondered
> what editing them would do. Based on the above, I determined that the
> cautionary note and my lack of understanding of TCL means I should just
> leave them alone .. so I have :)

Even if you did not change the TCL files it may be that the OpenRepeater
project changed the TCL code in some way so if you can do a clean installation
from the latest sources that would be interesting.

73's de SM0SVX / Tobias