Re: UDRC-II ∕ Raspberry PI ∕ Svxlink.conf PTT parameters

Re: UDRC-II ∕ Raspberry PI ∕ Svxlink.conf PTT parameters

Robert White
Hi David and All -

I have finally gotten Svxlink, UDRC-II an my TM-D710 to work pretty well.   I am using the 6 pin DIN and it works fine so long as the TM-D710 is NOT in Echolink mode.  If I set the TM-D710 into Echolink mode, the UDRC-II does not
transmit.  I am unfortunately not technical enough to know why the difference, or why the radio inhibits transmit in Echolink mode, perhaps someone here has thoughts.  This has been quite a learning experience for me.

David points out below that the COS signal can't make it across except and unless I were to use the 9 pin jack.

Thanks,

Robert
K0RCW

On Oct 25, 2016, at 09:21 AM, David Ranch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Robert,

Since the PTT LED on the UDRC lights up but the radio doesn't key up, this tells me you have a layer-1 problem.  I would use a volt meter and pin/paper-clip and confirm the PTT line on the 6-pin connector on the UDRC is actually asserting PTT.   If it is asserting ok, then check the continuity of the wires in the UDRC2 6-pin cable you have.

On the D710 side, check configuration:

   517 - Ext Data Band - I have this set to B-Band
      vs
   529 - Int data band (packet) - I have this set to A-Band

   Also make sure 518 is set to 1200

Btw.. since I don't have a UDRC2, I can't say much more.  If you don't use the 9-pin jack on the D710's radio body, you won't get the COS signal which makes it a great radio for Echolink.  You might want to talk to the NW Digital guys to see what they recommend.  They might recommend to bring the COS signal into Svxlink via a Raspberry Pi GPIO pin but I imagine this will require a level shifter circuit to adapt the RS232 voltages (12v) to 3.3v.

--David
KI6ZHD

I do have the six pin cable plugged into the correct data port on the back of the DM-710.

I also own the second cable that goes from the back of the DM-710 to a female 9 pin connector.  (I have used Echolink with a regular PC before using both cables.)

The 9 pin connector on the UDRC-II is also 9 pin female.  Not sure what to do at this point - obtain or make the cable in the link you sent?  I was under the impression I only would need the 6 pin mini DIN to make this work.

Thanks,

On Oct 24, 2016, at 19:10, David Ranch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Robert,

In short, I can now at this point use my HT to send DTMSS codes through my DM710 and they will be heard and decoded by the running Svxlink instance on the Raspberry Pi.  However, I  can't get the UDRC-II to go the other way - PTT the Kenwood D710.  A red LED does light on the top of the UDRC-II during a transmit from the svxlink instance, i.e. I type 01# on the keyboard, but nothing gets transmitted.

I am using the official 6 pin DIN cable sold by nwdigital from the UDRC-II to the TNC port of the D710.  I reinitialized the radio to its factory defaults.  I turned off 'packet' and 'aprs'.   Any other D710 parameters important?

That 6pin cable doesn't go into the D710 head (the TNC) .. as your not doing packet!  It needs to go into the 6pin connector on the back the D710 radio body labeled DATA.  Btw.. in a classic Echolink setup.. there are TWO cables that go int other radio body:   One cable for the audio connection and another for the PTT signals (http://remotesmart.wikidot.com/kenwood-tm-d710).  When using this setup, you put your D710 is in "Echolink" mode.  If your setup is only using one cable, it's probably only using the DATA jack.  As such, do NOT put your radio into Echolink mode.

--David
KI6ZHD