Quantcast

Re: Voice Mail Error not saving message #1,2,3

Re: Voice Mail Error not saving message #1,2,3

KB1NYT
Thanks for the replies I did finally find the section in the Tcl file.
It didn't dawn on me that Mutt was a mail client and not part of
Svxlink. I installed Mutt and Sendmail and now the voice mail module
works without aborting but I haven't been able to get Sendmail to work
with my ISP, Comcast, still working on that. I can telnet and login into
the Comcast SMTP server manually so I know that is ok. It has something
to do with authorization to the SMTP server from Sendmail.  Comcast
doesn't use port 25 it uses port 587.  I have it connecting but it
doesn't do the relay it says authorization required so I don't have
something right with the login setup.

Thanks again for the replies
Jay
KB1NYT

> [...]
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 09:53:41 -0800
> From: David Ranch <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Svxlink-devel] Voice Mail Error not saving message
> To: Discussions about development issues
> <[hidden email]>
>

> You're right Rob .. "mail" is a similar program to "mailx".  Totally
> glazed over that.  Btw, it seems that if this user doesn't want to setup
> all the email software to get VoiceMail working, he can just omit the
> email address setup like the second line in the provided example:
>
>      src/svxlink/modules/tcl_voice_mail/TclVoiceMail.conf
>      --
>      set users(001) "call=SM0AAA pass=123 email=[hidden email]";
> set users(002) "call=SM0BBB pass=456";
>      --
>

> and the code will SKIP the email section of the code (a larger paste
> from last night):
>      --
> if {$email != ""} {
>           printInfo "Sending notification e-mail to \"$email\"";
>           eval set msg \"$mail_msg\";
>           #exec mail -s "$mail_subj" $email -- -f $mail_from_addr \
>           #       -F "$mail_from_name" << "$msg" &;
>           exec mutt -s "$mail_subj" $email \
>                   -e "set from=\"$mail_from_addr\"" \
>                   -e "set realname=\"$mail_from_name\"" \
>                   << "$msg" &;
>         }
>      --
>
> --David
> KI6ZHD
>

> On 02/17/2017 11:35 PM, Rob Janssen wrote:
>> David Ranch wrote:
>>> Looking at
>>> src/build/svxlink/modules/tcl_voice_mail/ModuleTclVoiceMail.tcl :
>>> --
>>>          printInfo "Sending notification e-mail to \"$email\"";
>>>          eval set msg \"$mail_msg\";
>>>          #exec mail -s "$mail_subj" $email -- -f $mail_from_addr \
>>>          #       -F "$mail_from_name" << "$msg" &;
>>>          exec mutt -s "$mail_subj" $email \
>>>                  -e "set from=\"$mail_from_addr\"" \
>>>                  -e "set
>>> --
>>>
>>> It seems that Svxlink requires that the Mutt command line email
>>> program is required to send you a notification.  You'll either need
>>> to install Mutt (and configure it and a MTA like Postfix), change the
>>> code to use a different email client like mailx (and install /
>>> configure the MTA) , or edit the code and remove that notification stage.
>>>
>>> Personally, getting these notifications should be a configurable
>>> option in Svxlink
>> That is what the above section is: the place to configure this option
>> in Svxlink.
>> As you can see the option to use "mail" instead of "mutt" is already
>> there, just remove the # signs and punt new ones on the lines below
>> (or remove them).
>> You can also remove both of them.
>>
>> Rob

Re: Voice Mail Error not saving message #1,2,3

Rob Janssen
KB1NYT wrote:

> Thanks for the replies I did finally find the section in the Tcl file.
> It didn't dawn on me that Mutt was a mail client and not part of
> Svxlink. I installed Mutt and Sendmail and now the voice mail module
> works without aborting but I haven't been able to get Sendmail to work
> with my ISP, Comcast, still working on that. I can telnet and login into
> the Comcast SMTP server manually so I know that is ok. It has something
> to do with authorization to the SMTP server from Sendmail.  Comcast
> doesn't use port 25 it uses port 587.  I have it connecting but it
> doesn't do the relay it says authorization required so I don't have
> something right with the login setup.

Well, when you want something simple as sending a mail from an application, and don't
want to learn sendmail just for that, it seems easier to remove mutt and sendmail and
instead use a simple smtp client like msmtp.

You will need to call msmtp instead of mutt from the tcl file and make a small config
file that tells msmtp how to connect your outgoing mail server.  In the usual case that
is much easier than configuring sendmail.

Re: Voice Mail Error not saving message #1,2,3

David Ranch-3

Hello Jay,

I installed Mutt and Sendmail and now the voice mail module
works without aborting

Ok.. that's good though I don't recommend sendmail.  While powerful, it's quite old technology, is a bear to compile it's macro language into config files, etc.  I would recommend Postfix over Sendmail and depending on your needs, Rob's recommendation of alternative, lighter weight MTA (mail transfer agent) programs is probably even better for your outgoing-only needs.

but I haven't been able to get Sendmail to work with my ISP, Comcast, still working on that. I can telnet and login into
the Comcast SMTP server manually so I know that is ok. It has something
to do with authorization to the SMTP server from Sendmail.  Comcast
doesn't use port 25 it uses port 587.  I have it connecting but it
doesn't do the relay it says authorization required so I don't have
something right with the login setup.

You're looking for two things if you're sticking with Sendmail:

1. Configure "smarthost" to have your MTA send email via an intermediate MTA server (Comcast's email server)

2. You'll need to configure Sendmail to use your Comcast username and password to authenticate before sending emails.  Check out this short document on getting both going:

   https://www.dnsexit.com/support/mailrelay/sendmail.html

--David
KI6ZHD