Repeater RF audio not going out internet

12

Repeater RF audio not going out internet

David Rock
Hello,

I have a Raspberry Pi B+ attached to a Motorola PM400 through a USB
soundcard + Easy Digi interface that I'm using for a Repeater Link.
Internet <-> Internet communication and Internet -> RF is working, but
RF -> Internet is not.

I followed the audio level setup and was able to tune with PEAK_METER so
the distorsion messages no longer appear.  That, and seeing the
the squelch open/close messages when someone is talking on the RF side
tells me the audio is making it to the software side (ie, the software
is hearing something on the input from the radio), but it is not making
it out to the internet.

I've been researching this quite a bit and haven't found a solution yet.
Most of the information I've found centers around firewall port
forwarding, but I've done all of that.  Additionally, using tcpdump I
can see that the svxlink software isn't even trying to send out the RF
audio to the internet, so it has to be something in how the incoming
signal is being handled that isn't being forwarded (ie, if it isn't even
going out my network interface, firewall ports aren't involved yet).

Below is my full svxlink.conf

[GLOBAL]
MODULE_PATH=/usr/lib/svxlink
LOGICS=RepeaterLogic
CFG_DIR=svxlink.d
TIMESTAMP_FORMAT="%c"
CARD_SAMPLE_RATE=48000

[SimplexLogic]
TYPE=Simplex
RX=Rx1
TX=Tx1
MODULES=ModuleHelp,ModuleParrot,ModuleEchoLink,ModuleTclVoiceMail
CALLSIGN=K9DWR-L
SHORT_IDENT_INTERVAL=60
LONG_IDENT_INTERVAL=60
EVENT_HANDLER=/usr/share/svxlink/events.tcl
DEFAULT_LANG=en_US
RGR_SOUND_DELAY=0
REPORT_CTCSS=136.5
MACROS=Macros
FX_GAIN_NORMAL=0
FX_GAIN_LOW=-12

[RepeaterLogic]
TYPE=Repeater
RX=Rx1
TX=Tx1
MODULES=ModuleHelp,ModuleParrot,ModuleEchoLink
CALLSIGN=K9DWR-R
SHORT_IDENT_INTERVAL=10
LONG_IDENT_INTERVAL=60
IDENT_ONLY_AFTER_TX=4
EVENT_HANDLER=/usr/share/svxlink/events.tcl
DEFAULT_LANG=en_US
RGR_SOUND_DELAY=0
REPORT_CTCSS=114.8
MACROS=Macros
FX_GAIN_NORMAL=0
FX_GAIN_LOW=-12
IDLE_TIMEOUT=2
OPEN_ON_1750=1000
IDLE_SOUND_INTERVAL=3000

[LinkToR4]
CONNECT_LOGICS=RepeaterLogic:94:SK3AB,SimplexLogic:92:SK3CD
TIMEOUT=300

[Macros]
1=EchoLink:9999#
9=Parrot:0123456789#
03400=EchoLink:9999#

[QsoRecorder]
REC_DIR=/var/spool/svxlink/qso_recorder
MAX_TIME=3600
SOFT_TIME=300
MAX_DIRSIZE=1024

[Voter]
TYPE=Voter
RECEIVERS=Rx1,Rx2,Rx3
VOTING_DELAY=200
BUFFER_LENGTH=0

[MultiTx]
TYPE=Multi
TRANSMITTERS=Tx1,Tx2,Tx3

[NetRx]
TYPE=Net
HOST=remote.rx.host
TCP_PORT=5210
AUTH_KEY="Change this key now!"
CODEC=S16

[NetTx]
TYPE=Net
HOST=remote.tx.host
TCP_PORT=5210
AUTH_KEY="Change this key now!"
CODEC=S16

[Rx1]
TYPE=Local
AUDIO_DEV=alsa:plughw:1
AUDIO_CHANNEL=0
SQL_DET=VOX
SQL_START_DELAY=0
SQL_DELAY=0
SQL_HANGTIME=1000
VOX_FILTER_DEPTH=20
VOX_THRESH=1000
CTCSS_FQ=114.8
SERIAL_PORT=/dev/ttyAMA0
SERIAL_PIN=CTS:SET
SIGLEV_SLOPE=1
SIGLEV_OFFSET=0
SIGLEV_OPEN_THRESH=30
SIGLEV_CLOSE_THRESH=10
DEEMPHASIS=0
PEAK_METER=1
DTMF_DEC_TYPE=INTERNAL
DTMF_MUTING=1
DTMF_HANGTIME=100
DTMF_SERIAL=/dev/ttyAMA0

[Tx1]
TYPE=Local
AUDIO_DEV=alsa:plughw:1
AUDIO_CHANNEL=0
PTT_PORT=/dev/ttyAMA0
PTT_PIN=!DTR!RTS
TIMEOUT=300
TX_DELAY=500
PREEMPHASIS=0
DTMF_TONE_LENGTH=100
DTMF_TONE_SPACING=50
DTMF_TONE_AMP=-18

[LocationInfo]
APRS_SERVER_LIST=euro.aprs2.net:14580
PATH=WIDE1-1
BEACON_INTERVAL=10
COMMENT=SvxLink by SM0SVX (svxlink.sourceforge.net)

----

And here is my ModuleEchoLink.conf

[ModuleEchoLink]
NAME=EchoLink
ID=2
TIMEOUT=60
SERVERS=servers.echolink.org
CALLSIGN=K9DWR-R
PASSWORD=XXXXXXX
SYSOPNAME=David
LOCATION="Plainfield, IL USA"
MAX_QSOS=10
MAX_CONNECTIONS=11
LINK_IDLE_TIMEOUT=300
DESCRIPTION="QTH: Plainfield, IL\n"

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

--
David, K9DWR

Re: Repeater RF audio not going out internet

Mario Roeber
Hello David,

use a echolink proxy … and i think, its will work.

73, dl8mmr

> [...]
> MACROS=Macros
> FX_GAIN_NORMAL=0
> FX_GAIN_LOW=-12
> IDLE_TIMEOUT=2
> OPEN_ON_1750=1000
> IDLE_SOUND_INTERVAL=3000
>
> [LinkToR4]
> CONNECT_LOGICS=RepeaterLogic:94:SK3AB,SimplexLogic:92:SK3CD
> TIMEOUT=300
>
> [Macros]
> 1=EchoLink:9999#
> 9=Parrot:0123456789#
> 03400=EchoLink:9999#
>
> [QsoRecorder]
> REC_DIR=/var/spool/svxlink/qso_recorder
> MAX_TIME=3600
> SOFT_TIME=300
> MAX_DIRSIZE=1024
>
> [Voter]
> TYPE=Voter
> RECEIVERS=Rx1,Rx2,Rx3
> VOTING_DELAY=200
> BUFFER_LENGTH=0
>
> [MultiTx]
> TYPE=Multi
> TRANSMITTERS=Tx1,Tx2,Tx3
>
> [NetRx]
> TYPE=Net
> HOST=remote.rx.host
> TCP_PORT=5210
> AUTH_KEY="Change this key now!"
> CODEC=S16
>
> [NetTx]
> TYPE=Net
> HOST=remote.tx.host
> TCP_PORT=5210
> AUTH_KEY="Change this key now!"
> CODEC=S16
>
> [Rx1]
> TYPE=Local
> AUDIO_DEV=alsa:plughw:1
> AUDIO_CHANNEL=0
> SQL_DET=VOX
> SQL_START_DELAY=0
> SQL_DELAY=0
> SQL_HANGTIME=1000
> VOX_FILTER_DEPTH=20
> VOX_THRESH=1000
> CTCSS_FQ=114.8
> SERIAL_PORT=/dev/ttyAMA0
> SERIAL_PIN=CTS:SET
> SIGLEV_SLOPE=1
> SIGLEV_OFFSET=0
> SIGLEV_OPEN_THRESH=30
> SIGLEV_CLOSE_THRESH=10
> DEEMPHASIS=0
> PEAK_METER=1
> DTMF_DEC_TYPE=INTERNAL
> DTMF_MUTING=1
> DTMF_HANGTIME=100
> DTMF_SERIAL=/dev/ttyAMA0
>
> [Tx1]
> TYPE=Local
> AUDIO_DEV=alsa:plughw:1
> AUDIO_CHANNEL=0
> PTT_PORT=/dev/ttyAMA0
> PTT_PIN=!DTR!RTS
> TIMEOUT=300
> TX_DELAY=500
> PREEMPHASIS=0
> DTMF_TONE_LENGTH=100
> DTMF_TONE_SPACING=50
> DTMF_TONE_AMP=-18
>
> [LocationInfo]
> APRS_SERVER_LIST=euro.aprs2.net:14580
> PATH=WIDE1-1
> BEACON_INTERVAL=10
> COMMENT=SvxLink by SM0SVX (svxlink.sourceforge.net)

Wichtiger Hinweis: Die vorgenannten Angaben werden jeder E-Mail
automatisch hinzugefuegt und lassen keine Rueckschluesse auf den
Rechtscharakter der E-Mail zu.

PORT-X.De local Internet Service Provider and Member of Boerde.de

Important Notice: The above information is automatically added to this
e-mail. This addition does not constitute a representation that the
content of this e-mail is legally relevant and/or is intended to be
legally binding upon PORT-X.De.

Re: Repeater RF audio not going out internet

David Rock-2
* Mario Roeber <[hidden email]> [2015-04-05 18:33]:
> Hello David,
>
> use a echolink proxy … and i think, its will work.

Mario,

It would be interesting to try with one of the public proxies, but only
for testing.  With the proxy being a shared resource, that wouldn't be a
good long-term solution anyway.  I wouldn't want to rely on someone else's
system and wouldn't want to try to figure out an alternate if the one I
want to use is busy.  If using a proxy does work, then I'll be even more
confused. :-)

I still think there's something I'm missing in the overall setup that
wouldn't work with a proxy, either.  From what I can see, svxlink isn't
even trying to send out the internet at all for RF-initiated traffic.
Like I mentioned initially, I see no evidence of _any_ outbound network
traffic when RF audio comes in from the repeater.

That sounds like it doesn't know what to do with the incoming audio from
the radio.  I tried using arecord to see if I could verify what the
audio from the repeater sounds like, but I'm having issues with getting
that to work properly (device busy, etc).

I've verified with an external speaker that audio is generated, but that
doesn't mean the mic input on the soundcard is working.  The only
validation I have of that so far is the log messages about distortion
and squelch that suggest at least something is coming in that svxlink
recognizes.

Any ideas on how to validate I have audio (beyond what appears to be
validation from the squelch messages in the logs) would be helpful.

73

--
David, K9DWR

Re: Repeater RF audio not going out internet

Mario Roeber
Hallo David,

i’was try 2 days, and switch and switch my configuration. it’s was not work!!! later ron was give me this idea to use a proxy, and in the same second
all was fine. why, it’s like that i’cant relay say. i’play only 1 week with svxlink. but the repeater ist now up and running …
there are so mutch configuration details, what can use. i’think in one year i’will not know all.

and, yes, with the proxy, if you lost the connection and later the proxy is busy, you lost a full working relay. so, in the moment i’think about a fallback strategy.
but was i was read here in maillinglist it will be a point for developing, to get a long term stable solution.

73, Mario

> Am 05.04.2015 um 19:10 schrieb David Rock <[hidden email]>:
>
> * Mario Roeber <[hidden email]> [2015-04-05 18:33]:
>> Hello David,
>>
>> use a echolink proxy … and i think, its will work.
>
> Mario,
>
> It would be interesting to try with one of the public proxies, but only
> for testing.  With the proxy being a shared resource, that wouldn't be a
> good long-term solution anyway.  I wouldn't want to rely on someone else's
> system and wouldn't want to try to figure out an alternate if the one I
> want to use is busy.  If using a proxy does work, then I'll be even more
> confused. :-)
>
> I still think there's something I'm missing in the overall setup that
> wouldn't work with a proxy, either.  From what I can see, svxlink isn't
> even trying to send out the internet at all for RF-initiated traffic.
> Like I mentioned initially, I see no evidence of _any_ outbound network
> traffic when RF audio comes in from the repeater.
>
> That sounds like it doesn't know what to do with the incoming audio from
> the radio.  I tried using arecord to see if I could verify what the
> audio from the repeater sounds like, but I'm having issues with getting
> that to work properly (device busy, etc).
>
> I've verified with an external speaker that audio is generated, but that
> doesn't mean the mic input on the soundcard is working.  The only
> validation I have of that so far is the log messages about distortion
> and squelch that suggest at least something is coming in that svxlink
> recognizes.
>
> Any ideas on how to validate I have audio (beyond what appears to be
> validation from the squelch messages in the logs) would be helpful.
>
> 73
>
> --
> David, K9DWR

Wichtiger Hinweis: Die vorgenannten Angaben werden jeder E-Mail
automatisch hinzugefuegt und lassen keine Rueckschluesse auf den
Rechtscharakter der E-Mail zu.

PORT-X.De local Internet Service Provider and Member of Boerde.de

Important Notice: The above information is automatically added to this
e-mail. This addition does not constitute a representation that the
content of this e-mail is legally relevant and/or is intended to be
legally binding upon PORT-X.De.

Re: Repeater RF audio not going out internet

David Rock
* Mario Roeber <[hidden email]> [2015-04-05 19:23]:

> Hallo David,
>
> i’was try 2 days, and switch and switch my configuration. it’s was not
> work!!! later ron was give me this idea to use a proxy, and in the
> same second all was fine. why, it’s like that i’cant relay say. i’play
> only 1 week with svxlink. but the repeater ist now up and running …
> there are so mutch configuration details, what can use. i’think in one
> year i’will not know all.
>
> and, yes, with the proxy, if you lost the connection and later the
> proxy is busy, you lost a full working relay. so, in the moment
> i’think about a fallback strategy.  but was i was read here in
> maillinglist it will be a point for developing, to get a long term
> stable solution.

I'll definitely try it, if for no other reason than to verify my audio
works, but long-term I'll have to figure out what the issue is.  It may
still be a router issue, so one thing I plan on trying is to set up my
system on the DMZ of my network.

Actually, another possibility if the proxy works would be to set up my
own proxy on a VPS that I know will be up all the time and controlled by me.
I'd still like to avoid that if possible since that's yet another layer
of complexity I'd rather not introduce if possible.

Thanks. :-)

--
David, K9DWR

Re: Repeater RF audio not going out internet

k9dwr
* David Rock <[hidden email]> [2015-04-05 12:10]:

> I've verified with an external speaker that audio is generated, but that
> doesn't mean the mic input on the soundcard is working.  The only
> validation I have of that so far is the log messages about distortion
> and squelch that suggest at least something is coming in that svxlink
> recognizes.
>
> Any ideas on how to validate I have audio (beyond what appears to be
> validation from the squelch messages in the logs) would be helpful.

Still looking for how to get the RF audio out, but at least I was able
to validate the soundcard audio input is working.  In my case, I have
the following:

# arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 1: Device [C-Media USB Audio Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

and I used this to generate a capture of Repeater RF traffic:
arecord -vv -f S16_LE -r48000 -D hw:1 /tmp/test.wav

The recorded audio has some hiss in the noise floor but the voice is
very readable, so I know the soundcard input is working.  So I'm still
trying to understand why svxlink is not sending that RF audio out the
internet.

--
David, K9DWR

Re: Repeater RF audio not going out internet

k9dwr
* David Rock <[hidden email]> [2015-04-06 12:15]:

> Still looking for how to get the RF audio out, but at least I was able
> to validate the soundcard audio input is working.  In my case, I have
> the following:
>
> # arecord -l
> **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
> card 1: Device [C-Media USB Audio Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> and I used this to generate a capture of Repeater RF traffic:
> arecord -vv -f S16_LE -r48000 -D hw:1 /tmp/test.wav
>
> The recorded audio has some hiss in the noise floor but the voice is
> very readable, so I know the soundcard input is working.  So I'm still
> trying to understand why svxlink is not sending that RF audio out the
> internet.

Another update... still no luck getting audio out.  I tried using a
proxy and it still doesn't result in any RF audio from my repeater going
out the internet.  As I mentioned before, looking at a packet trace with
tcpdump I see that no attempt is being made to send data out, so I'm not
surprised that using a proxy doesn't matter.

I'm forwarding ports 5198-5200 to my system.  When I connect with my
iPhone (from the cell network, not my local wifi) I get the recorded
connection messages played back to me and when I talk into the phone
client, it gets transmitted over the repeater.

I'm still hoping someone has an idea of why audio coming into svxlink
from the radio is not going out the network to echolink-connected
clients.  I'm running out of ideas of what to check.

I've also tried different versions of the software.  I originally was
using 13.12 from sourceforge, but I'm assuming the github master repo is
more current?  I'm using that now ( v1.4.99.9 ), but I'm getting the
same results.

Is there a way to validate the software is actually using the incoming
RF audio?  Maybe more verbose logging that could be enabled?

--
David, K9DWR

Re: Repeater RF audio not going out internet

Rob Janssen
David Rock wrote:

> * David Rock <[hidden email]> [2015-04-06 12:15]:
>> Still looking for how to get the RF audio out, but at least I was able
>> to validate the soundcard audio input is working.  In my case, I have
>> the following:
>>
>> # arecord -l
>> **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
>> card 1: Device [C-Media USB Audio Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>
>> and I used this to generate a capture of Repeater RF traffic:
>> arecord -vv -f S16_LE -r48000 -D hw:1 /tmp/test.wav
>>
>> The recorded audio has some hiss in the noise floor but the voice is
>> very readable, so I know the soundcard input is working.  So I'm still
>> trying to understand why svxlink is not sending that RF audio out the
>> internet.
> Another update... still no luck getting audio out.  I tried using a
> proxy and it still doesn't result in any RF audio from my repeater going
> out the internet.  As I mentioned before, looking at a packet trace with
> tcpdump I see that no attempt is being made to send data out, so I'm not
> surprised that using a proxy doesn't matter.
>
> I'm forwarding ports 5198-5200 to my system.  When I connect with my
> iPhone (from the cell network, not my local wifi) I get the recorded
> connection messages played back to me and when I talk into the phone
> client, it gets transmitted over the repeater.
>
> I'm still hoping someone has an idea of why audio coming into svxlink
> from the radio is not going out the network to echolink-connected
> clients.  I'm running out of ideas of what to check.

No idea what is wrong there.  Make sure the repeater actually opens and the
squelch is open.  I have no experience with halfduplex endpoints like you describe,
only with duplex repeaters with echolink connection.
Echolink is tricky to get working over the network but that is clearly not your problem.

> Is there a way to validate the software is actually using the incoming
> RF audio?  Maybe more verbose logging that could be enabled?

Yes, see the RAW_AUDIO_UDP_DEST config variable in man svxlink.conf.5
You can use it with a netcat or socat pipeline to play the audio, or save it in a file
to play it later or on another system.

However, the result is not much different from what you get when stopping svxlink and
recording from the same device.  You only rule out obvious errors like using the
wrong channe, likely not an issue here as most USB sound devices are MONO in.

Re: Repeater RF audio not going out internet

k9dwr
* Rob Janssen <[hidden email]> [2015-04-07 21:43]:
> David Rock wrote:
>
> No idea what is wrong there.  Make sure the repeater actually opens and the
> squelch is open.  I have no experience with halfduplex endpoints like you describe,
> only with duplex repeaters with echolink connection.
> Echolink is tricky to get working over the network but that is clearly not your problem.

Yeah, I can tell the squelch is open from a few different points:

1. Monitoring with an external speaker, I can tell the radio is
receiving from the RF repeater
2. Using arecord, I can tell the audio is making it through the
soundcard to the OS level (and sounds decent, too).
3. Monitoring the svxlink log, I see squelch open/close or distorsion
messages, which tells me svxlink is receiving [what I assume to be] audio.

> > Is there a way to validate the software is actually using the incoming
> > RF audio?  Maybe more verbose logging that could be enabled?
> >

> Yes, see the RAW_AUDIO_UDP_DEST config variable in man svxlink.conf.5
> You can use it with a netcat or socat pipeline to play the audio, or save it in a file
> to play it later or on another system.
>
> However, the result is not much different from what you get when stopping svxlink and
> recording from the same device.  You only rule out obvious errors like using the
> wrong channe, likely not an issue here as most USB sound devices are MONO in.

Right, which is pretty much what I've done so far while trying to narrow
the issue down.  What I'm really hoping for is some way to validate
specific things are firing or failing in the software itself.

Actually, what may be a related question.. Should the audio from the
short and long id be audible on an echolink client?  I can hear it on
the actual RF repeater, but I don't think I hear it on my iPhone
echolink client.  If it _should_ be audible on an echolink client, then
that's even more confusing since I hear the "connected to svxlink, blah
blah" message when I first connect.  I would expect to either get all
audio or no audio, not only select audio.

David Rock wrote:
> Actually, what may be a related question.. Should the audio from the
> short and long id be audible on an echolink client?  I can hear it on
> the actual RF repeater, but I don't think I hear it on my iPhone
> echolink client.  If it _should_ be audible on an echolink client, then
> that's even more confusing since I hear the "connected to svxlink, blah
> blah" message when I first connect.  I would expect to either get all
> audio or no audio, not only select audio.

No, this audio is not sent to echolink.  This is done to allow the echolink user to
transmit quickly when someone releases the mike.  The long gaps to allow echolink
stations to transmit are not required on an svxlink repeater, especially not when
using Qtel as a client.  Of course, it means that the echolink user does not experience
the "sound" of the repeater.  (ID, roger beep etc)

Note that "the squelch is open" and "the repeater is open" are two different things.
Check the OPEN_ON setting so it opens on SQL when you want that.

Re: Repeater RF audio not going out internet

k9dwr
* Rob Janssen <[hidden email]> [2015-04-07 22:24]:

> No, this audio is not sent to echolink.  This is done to allow the echolink user to
> transmit quickly when someone releases the mike.  The long gaps to allow echolink
> stations to transmit are not required on an svxlink repeater, especially not when
> using Qtel as a client.  Of course, it means that the echolink user does not experience
> the "sound" of the repeater.  (ID, roger beep etc)
>
> Note that "the squelch is open" and "the repeater is open" are two different things.
> Check the OPEN_ON setting so it opens on SQL when you want that.

This is a good point.  There's potentially some miscommunication in the
terms being used to describe what's happening.  What I'm trying to fix
is:

1. Ham A with an HT keys up and transmits to RF repeater at 440.150
2. RF Repeater re-transmits and my mobile receives the RF audio
3. Mobile sends to the soundcard input of my svxlink node
4. svxlink takes that input and sends out to the echolink network
5. echolink client receives the audio

The part I'm trying to fix is step #4.

Looking at the OPEN_ON options in my config, it's currently set for
OPEN_ON_1750, which doesn't actually help me much.  If I take your
meaning of "Note that "the squelch is open" and "the repeater is open"
are two different things." correctly, what you are saying is the svxlink
"repeater" won't do anything with the RF audio if it isn't told to
"open" first.  In my case, that would mean it would never "open" because
I'm configured to open on a tone burst that never happens.

In other words, I'm using SQL_DET=VOX in my Rx1, svxlink is seeing the
audio coming in, but the RepeaterLogic isn't set correctly to actually
use it.

--
David, K9DWR

Re: Repeater RF audio not going out internet

k9dwr
* David Rock <[hidden email]> [2015-04-07 16:00]:

> * Rob Janssen <[hidden email]> [2015-04-07 22:24]:
> >
> > Note that "the squelch is open" and "the repeater is open" are two different things.
> > Check the OPEN_ON setting so it opens on SQL when you want that.
>
> This is a good point.  There's potentially some miscommunication in the
> terms being used to describe what's happening.  What I'm trying to fix
> is:
>
> 1. Ham A with an HT keys up and transmits to RF repeater at 440.150
> 2. RF Repeater re-transmits and my mobile receives the RF audio
> 3. Mobile sends to the soundcard input of my svxlink node
> 4. svxlink takes that input and sends out to the echolink network
> 5. echolink client receives the audio
>
> The part I'm trying to fix is step #4.
>
> Looking at the OPEN_ON options in my config, it's currently set for
> OPEN_ON_1750, which doesn't actually help me much.  If I take your
> meaning of "Note that "the squelch is open" and "the repeater is open"
> are two different things." correctly, what you are saying is the svxlink
> "repeater" won't do anything with the RF audio if it isn't told to
> "open" first.  In my case, that would mean it would never "open" because
> I'm configured to open on a tone burst that never happens.
>
> In other words, I'm using SQL_DET=VOX in my Rx1, svxlink is seeing the
> audio coming in, but the RepeaterLogic isn't set correctly to actually
> use it.

I've decided that I'm missing some fundamental concept of how this is
supposed to work.  Playing with various OPEN_ON settings has not been
overly successful.  One of the other things I've been trying as a test is
using DTMF, and it's probably a telling example of what I'm doing wrong.

I have yet to be successful in getting any tones to work.  I can see
that svxlink is receiving them, but it's refusing to use them.  For
example:

Tue Apr  7 23:33:12 2015: Rx1: The squelch is OPEN (2.07523)
Tue Apr  7 23:33:12 2015: RepeaterLogic: digit=0
Tue Apr  7 23:33:12 2015: RepeaterLogic: Ignoring DTMF digit "0" since the repeater is not up
Tue Apr  7 23:33:13 2015: RepeaterLogic: digit=0
Tue Apr  7 23:33:13 2015: RepeaterLogic: Ignoring DTMF digit "0" since the repeater is not up
Tue Apr  7 23:33:14 2015: RepeaterLogic: digit=#
Tue Apr  7 23:33:14 2015: RepeaterLogic: Ignoring DTMF digit "#" since the repeater is not up
Tue Apr  7 23:33:15 2015: Rx1: The squelch is CLOSED (4.43843)
Tue Apr  7 23:33:15 2015: Tx1: Turning the transmitter ON
Tue Apr  7 23:33:24 2015: Tx1: Turning the transmitter OFF

As you can see, when I key up my HT and send tones, they are going
HT -> RF repeater -> Base radio -> svxlink

but I always get the "repeater is not up" messages.  I think this is an
illustration of the same problem I'm having with voice audio not getting
handled and sent out the internet.

I think if I can get a clear understanding of how to get the repeater
(ie, the EchoLink Module) "up," everything will fall into place, but I'm
really misunderstanding something.

David Rock wrote:

> I've decided that I'm missing some fundamental concept of how this is
> supposed to work.  Playing with various OPEN_ON settings has not been
> overly successful.  One of the other things I've been trying as a test is
> using DTMF, and it's probably a telling example of what I'm doing wrong.
>
> I have yet to be successful in getting any tones to work.  I can see
> that svxlink is receiving them, but it's refusing to use them.  For
> example:
>
> Tue Apr  7 23:33:12 2015: Rx1: The squelch is OPEN (2.07523)
> Tue Apr  7 23:33:12 2015: RepeaterLogic: digit=0
> Tue Apr  7 23:33:12 2015: RepeaterLogic: Ignoring DTMF digit "0" since the repeater is not up
> Tue Apr  7 23:33:13 2015: RepeaterLogic: digit=0
> Tue Apr  7 23:33:13 2015: RepeaterLogic: Ignoring DTMF digit "0" since the repeater is not up
> Tue Apr  7 23:33:14 2015: RepeaterLogic: digit=#
> Tue Apr  7 23:33:14 2015: RepeaterLogic: Ignoring DTMF digit "#" since the repeater is not up
> Tue Apr  7 23:33:15 2015: Rx1: The squelch is CLOSED (4.43843)
> Tue Apr  7 23:33:15 2015: Tx1: Turning the transmitter ON
> Tue Apr  7 23:33:24 2015: Tx1: Turning the transmitter OFF
>
> As you can see, when I key up my HT and send tones, they are going
> HT -> RF repeater -> Base radio -> svxlink
>
> but I always get the "repeater is not up" messages.  I think this is an
> illustration of the same problem I'm having with voice audio not getting
> handled and sent out the internet.
>
> I think if I can get a clear understanding of how to get the repeater
> (ie, the EchoLink Module) "up," everything will fall into place, but I'm
> really misunderstanding something.

Yes I think this is the problem.  For some reason your repeater has not opened on the signal.
Our repeater opens on just the squelch opening, and we have this:

OPEN_ON_SQL=0
OPEN_ON_SQL_AFTER_RPT_CLOSE=0
OPEN_SQL_FLANK=OPEN

I'm not sure if this is the minimal config but it has been there for a long time and it works.
The 0 values can be set to a minimal time of transmission or idle, see the manpage.

What is not completely clear from the equipment description you gave is if this is an actual RF repeater
(as you specified just a mobile radio that is probably not duplex), or if you have an echolink access point
with a halfduplex trx connected.

When it works OK as a repeater, via svxlink (i.e. the audio passes through svxlink not directly bypassed,
you can verify that by checking that there is a small audio delay between input and output) then of course
there is no need to look at soundcard issues or the repeater not opening.

Re: Repeater RF audio not going out internet

k9dwr
* Rob Janssen <[hidden email]> [2015-04-08 09:23]:

> David Rock wrote:
> >
> > As you can see, when I key up my HT and send tones, they are going
> > HT -> RF repeater -> Base radio -> svxlink
> >
> > but I always get the "repeater is not up" messages.  I think this is an
> > illustration of the same problem I'm having with voice audio not getting
> > handled and sent out the internet.
> >
> > I think if I can get a clear understanding of how to get the repeater
> > (ie, the EchoLink Module) "up," everything will fall into place, but I'm
> > really misunderstanding something.
> >

> Yes I think this is the problem.  For some reason your repeater has not opened on the signal.
> Our repeater opens on just the squelch opening, and we have this:
>
> OPEN_ON_SQL=0
> OPEN_ON_SQL_AFTER_RPT_CLOSE=0
> OPEN_SQL_FLANK=OPEN
>
> I'm not sure if this is the minimal config but it has been there for a long time and it works.
> The 0 values can be set to a minimal time of transmission or idle, see the manpage.
>
> What is not completely clear from the equipment description you gave is if this is an actual RF repeater
> (as you specified just a mobile radio that is probably not duplex), or if you have an echolink access point
> with a halfduplex trx connected.
>
> When it works OK as a repeater, via svxlink (i.e. the audio passes through svxlink not directly bypassed,
> you can verify that by checking that there is a small audio delay between input and output) then of course
> there is no need to look at soundcard issues or the repeater not opening.

I think I'm starting to see what the issue is, but not sure what the
solution is.  Let's start with a more detailed description of my setup:

1. RF Repeater - Motorola MSF5000 located about 10 miles away
2. Radio connected to svxlink - Motorola PM400 in my house
3. svxlink hardware - Raspberry Pi model B
4. RF test unit - ADI At-401 handheld
5. Echolink client test unit - iPhone client

I do not have svxlink directly connected to the MSF5000; I'm using a
"Remote-link" rather than "Hard-Wired" repeater connection as described on
http://www.echolink.org/repeater_tips.htm

"With the "remote-link" approach, an FM transceiver is connected to the
EchoLink PC at a convenient location in range of the repeater, and tuned
to the frequency pair of the repeater.  In this configuration, the
transceiver behaves very much like an ordinary local repeater user,
transmitting on the repeater's input frequency (on behalf of EchoLink
users) and receiving on the repeater's output frequency.  Although this
allows the EchoLink equipment to be placed in a more convenient
location, it presents some challenges with respect to RX control."

Trying the OPEN_ON settings you gave me, it became more obvious that the
Tx1 is _not_ intended for transmitting out the internet.  Those settings
resulted in svxlink trying to send the incoming signal from the MSF5000
to the PM400 back out, locking the TX open indefinitely.  This is not
what I'm looking for.  As you mentioned earlier, your settings are based
on direct-connect to an actual repeater (ie, the Hard-Wired described
above).  I don't need svxlink to transmit (that keys the radio, but
that's the radio that is receiving the audio; it can't, and shouldn't do
both); I need it to take the incoming audio from Rx1 and send it to the
EchoLink network.

So I guess my first question is does svxlink support running in a
"remote-link" configuration, or is it designed only for "hard-wired"?

David Rock wrote:

> I think I'm starting to see what the issue is, but not sure what the
> solution is.  Let's start with a more detailed description of my setup:
>
> 1. RF Repeater - Motorola MSF5000 located about 10 miles away
> 2. Radio connected to svxlink - Motorola PM400 in my house
> 3. svxlink hardware - Raspberry Pi model B
> 4. RF test unit - ADI At-401 handheld
> 5. Echolink client test unit - iPhone client
>
> I do not have svxlink directly connected to the MSF5000; I'm using a
> "Remote-link" rather than "Hard-Wired" repeater connection as described on
> http://www.echolink.org/repeater_tips.htm
>
> "With the "remote-link" approach, an FM transceiver is connected to the
> EchoLink PC at a convenient location in range of the repeater, and tuned
> to the frequency pair of the repeater.  In this configuration, the
> transceiver behaves very much like an ordinary local repeater user,
> transmitting on the repeater's input frequency (on behalf of EchoLink
> users) and receiving on the repeater's output frequency.  Although this
> allows the EchoLink equipment to be placed in a more convenient
> location, it presents some challenges with respect to RX control."
>
> Trying the OPEN_ON settings you gave me, it became more obvious that the
> Tx1 is _not_ intended for transmitting out the internet.  Those settings
> resulted in svxlink trying to send the incoming signal from the MSF5000
> to the PM400 back out, locking the TX open indefinitely.  This is not
> what I'm looking for.  As you mentioned earlier, your settings are based
> on direct-connect to an actual repeater (ie, the Hard-Wired described
> above).  I don't need svxlink to transmit (that keys the radio, but
> that's the radio that is receiving the audio; it can't, and shouldn't do
> both); I need it to take the incoming audio from Rx1 and send it to the
> EchoLink network.
>
> So I guess my first question is does svxlink support running in a
> "remote-link" configuration, or is it designed only for "hard-wired"?

Aha ok...  I don't have experience with that setup, but it definately is less usable because
in that setup an Echolink user can only transmit when the repeater has keyed down, while
in a hard-wired setup the user can transmit as soon as the previous user has released
the PTT and the receiver timer has expired in his client.
Even then, some Echolink users complain that they cannot break in because the timer
takes a second to expire and not sufficient breaks are left on the repeater.  This is another
reason why the repeater roger beep is not transmitted to the Echolink user, to give them
extra time to take the mike while the radio users listen to the beep.
But when you connect like you describe, the Echolink users have to wait for the repeater
beep (which of course they hear), then for the transmitter to switch off (usually a second
or two extra), then another second for Echolink to timeout, and only then they can take
the mike.   This leaves them out of luck most of the time on a repeater here during
rush hour.

So, what we do in our repeaters is take away the original repeater controller (we use
commercial repeaters that can operate stand-alone), and we split them into a receiver
and transmitter, with audio out, audio in, PTT and SQL, and wire this all up to a PC
running svxlink that will function both as the repeater controller and the echolink
connection.

This works very well, and when the users use Qtel they can break in very quickly.

For info about the usability of svxlink in your particular setup, I hope others can give
that information.

Re: Repeater RF audio not going out internet

k9dwr
* Rob Janssen <[hidden email]> [2015-04-08 18:04]:

> David Rock wrote:
> >
> > So I guess my first question is does svxlink support running in a
> > "remote-link" configuration, or is it designed only for "hard-wired"?
> >

> Aha ok...  I don't have experience with that setup, but it definately is less usable because
> in that setup an Echolink user can only transmit when the repeater has keyed down, while
> in a hard-wired setup the user can transmit as soon as the previous user has released
> the PTT and the receiver timer has expired in his client.
> Even then, some Echolink users complain that they cannot break in because the timer
> takes a second to expire and not sufficient breaks are left on the repeater.  This is another
> reason why the repeater roger beep is not transmitted to the Echolink user, to give them
> extra time to take the mike while the radio users listen to the beep.
> But when you connect like you describe, the Echolink users have to wait for the repeater
> beep (which of course they hear), then for the transmitter to switch off (usually a second
> or two extra), then another second for Echolink to timeout, and only then they can take
> the mike.   This leaves them out of luck most of the time on a repeater here during
> rush hour.
>
> So, what we do in our repeaters is take away the original repeater controller (we use
> commercial repeaters that can operate stand-alone), and we split them into a receiver
> and transmitter, with audio out, audio in, PTT and SQL, and wire this all up to a PC
> running svxlink that will function both as the repeater controller and the echolink
> connection.
>
> This works very well, and when the users use Qtel they can break in very quickly.
>
> For info about the usability of svxlink in your particular setup, I hope others can give
> that information.

I've had a bit of a breakthru working through all of the definitions,
ideas and so-on.  Assuming svxlink's RepeaterLogic is based primarily on
doing a hard-wired setup at the repeater, I came up with the idea of
using the SimplexLogic instead.  At a logical level, that's essentially
what a "remote-link" is; it's just using a radio tuned to a repeater
pair instead of an actual simplex frequency.  The net result ends up
being what I'm shooting for: Echolink audio gets TX'd to the repeater
input, and repeater output gets sent to EchoLink.

I know what you mean about lag between the time someone on the RF side
releases and the time an EchoLink user can TX, but most people in this
area are pretty good about waiting a couple seconds to allow others to
get in, so that's a pretty minor problem for us.  It's certainly an
easier problem to solve than getting internet at the physical repeater site.

I suppose we could use another repeater-class system as the remote, but
that's a bit overkill for our needs.  This is really designed more to be
an extension usable by our local group if they happen to be out of town.
We aren't trying to be the next "Big Thing" in the area. :-)

The next thing I'd like to figure out is how to make the VOX less
sensitive.  I realize a lot of these options are designed for the
RepeaterLogic, but what I'm seeing is any time an RF user pauses to take
a breath, svxlink is reading that as a squelch close and clips their
audio.  Are there any options that apply to the SimplexLogic that will
help it tolerate brief drops in audio?

Thank you very much for helping me get my head around how the model
actually works.  I'm much closer now to having a functional system.  All
I have left is fine-tuning, which is a lot better than fighting with
basic functionality.

David Rock wrote:
> *
> I've had a bit of a breakthru working through all of the definitions,
> ideas and so-on.  Assuming svxlink's RepeaterLogic is based primarily on
> doing a hard-wired setup at the repeater, I came up with the idea of
> using the SimplexLogic instead.  At a logical level, that's essentially
> what a "remote-link" is; it's just using a radio tuned to a repeater
> pair instead of an actual simplex frequency.  The net result ends up
> being what I'm shooting for: Echolink audio gets TX'd to the repeater
> input, and repeater output gets sent to EchoLink.

Ok that could well be correct, I have no experience with the SimplexLogic.  But it
sounds reasonable.

> It's certainly an
> easier problem to solve than getting internet at the physical repeater site.

We use Ubiquity Nanobeam for wireless network connection on 6cm. They are less
expensive now.  You can beam to a ham providing internet access over a distance
of 30km or so (unobstructed path, e.g. from a tower or mountain).

> The next thing I'd like to figure out is how to make the VOX less
> sensitive.

Wouldn't it be better to wire a squelch indication from the receiver to an I/O pin
or RS232 lead?  That should work much better than the VOX.

Re: Repeater RF audio not going out internet

k9dwr
* Rob Janssen <[hidden email]> [2015-04-08 20:24]:

> David Rock wrote:
> > pair instead of an actual simplex frequency.  The net result ends up
> > being what I'm shooting for: Echolink audio gets TX'd to the repeater
> > input, and repeater output gets sent to EchoLink.
>
> Ok that could well be correct, I have no experience with the SimplexLogic.  But it
> sounds reasonable.
>
> > It's certainly an easier problem to solve than getting internet at
> > the physical repeater site.
>
> We use Ubiquity Nanobeam for wireless network connection on 6cm. They are less
> expensive now.  You can beam to a ham providing internet access over a distance
> of 30km or so (unobstructed path, e.g. from a tower or mountain).

Hams and cost don't always mix ;-)  A wireless link is definitely on the
table assuming we can't get anything else to work, though.

> > The next thing I'd like to figure out is how to make the VOX less
> > sensitive.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to wire a squelch indication from the receiver to an I/O pin
> or RS232 lead?  That should work much better than the VOX.

I have to review if a COS is available from the radio I'm using (I don't
recall seeing one).  I've also looked at using SQL_DET=CTCSS since that
would be a constant signal as long as the MSF5000 is transmitting, which
should cover my needs pretty well.  I started with VOX because it's the
default out of the box and the least amount of work to get started, but
that doesn't mean it's the final option.

--
David, K9DWR

Re: Repeater RF audio not going out internet

Tony Langdon
On 9/04/2015 4:45 AM, David Rock wrote:
> I have to review if a COS is available from the radio I'm using (I don't
> recall seeing one).  I've also looked at using SQL_DET=CTCSS since that
> would be a constant signal as long as the MSF5000 is transmitting, which
> should cover my needs pretty well.  I started with VOX because it's the
> default out of the box and the least amount of work to get started, but
> that doesn't mean it's the final option.
A trick that I highly recommend is to use "CTCSS on COR" at the
repeater.  What I mean by that is that the repeater encodes a CTCSS
tone, only when there is a valid signal on its input.  At the node,
setup SvxLink to decode that tone (SQL_DET=CTCSS).  The effect of this
is that the hang time and IDs will be ignored by SvxLink, and it will
operate as though you were using simplex on the mountain. Much better if
you must use the user frequencies.
How easy it is to configure the repeater do work the way you need
depends on the controller in use.  Some controllers can be programmed
for CTCSS on COR, others can't (in which case, you'd need to physically
wire in a CTCSS encoder that is gated by the COR signal), or replace the
controller.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Re: Repeater RF audio not going out internet

Gustavo Conrad
Hi Dave,

   I'm running a couple of systems very similar to yours (remote link
controlled repeater).
   I have a VHF repeater linked via UHF to the "svxlink" place.  At the
repeater site there are two Motorola GM300 for VHF RX and TX and one
Motorola SM50 for UHF simplex link. The interface is homemade and very
simple: audio link (always connected) between the three radios, and VHF
TX PTT is a logic OR between VHF RX and UHF radio's COR, UHF PTT is
handled by VHF COR.
    In my system I've configured the svxlink logic as Simplex, since the
link radio is half duplex and the "repeat" function is handled by the RF
repeater. This repeater does not have Echolink access, but in the past
I've had such a system in service. I also think that, from the Echolink
network point of view, you should configure your system as a Link,
because full duplex operation is not possible. From some time now, my
node LU8WFY-R is working with two GM300 directly connected to the PC.
    The same situation will be valid for a system that uses a VHF radio
tuned to the repeater's frequency pair.
    This configuration has the limitation that you have no control of
the repeater function (it's hardwired at the repeater site). For full
svxlink functionality on your repeater, you should connect the PC
directly to the repeater or use a full duplex link (another repeater
pair.....).

Hope this experience could be of any help.

73!

Gustavo - LU8WFY
Patagonia
Argentina