SVXlink Setup

Ken

SVXlink Setup

Ken
Hello everyone,
I have just purchased a new Raspberry Pi 3 and I have loaded it firstly with Noobs then I was prompted to update with Raspian which I did.

I am only learning so far but I am confused about loading the svxlink program is there a plain step by step guide available for people like me that are learning.

I wish to setup a Echolink server here in my shack to serve our local Amateur community.

I have ran a Echolink server before with a borrowed modem and a normal pc but the challenge is out there and I am really interested in running a Pi3  into a spare VHF radio here.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ken VK2CRN
QF43WH

Re: SVXlink Setup

David Ranch-3

Hello Ken,

I have just purchased a new Raspberry Pi 3 and I have loaded it firstly with Noobs then I was prompted to update with Raspian which I did.
I am only learning so far but I am confused about loading the svxlink program is there a plain step by step guide available for people like me that are learning.

Svxlink has excellent documentation at:

   https://github.com/sm0svx/svxlink/wiki

There are configuration examples, etc available so start there.   I also have a step-by-step guide for a simplex node here:

   http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#43b.configsvxlink

If you have questions, this is the list to ask them on.

--David
KI6ZHD-L

Re: SVXlink Setup

Matthew Miller
Its not quite a guide but here is the documentation about my node including links to the install scripts I used (which seemed to work fine in January 2017) as well as example configs (which are slightly older) and some schematics for PTT and such.
http://millerm.org/hobby_projects/echolink_node/

The exact options vary a lot depending what you want to use it for ad to what features you need to set up so there is not any one guide I am aware of that takes you step by step.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

Re: SVXlink Setup

Joe Erlewein N8CN
Question on this.

I’ve just finished building my third RPi-based svxlink node.
Two repeater controllers and one echolink node controller so far.

The first was an “OpenRepeater” build that I decided I wanted more control over. So I hacked it to the point where I liked it. And left it. That one seems to work nice.

The second was a “roll my own” from Noobs/Wheezy and installation following the documentation.
The third one, the echolink controller, that I made has a lot in common with my second attempt…

There’s no “service” method for starting/stopping svxlink. I really like the way OpenRepeater has built the svxlink project into an “official” system service controlled through that mechanism. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to do all that. My linux skills fall short there.

So the situation I end up in is that if the svxlink process ever dies or there’s a glitch or whatever, the RPi needs to be rebooted, or I need to ssh in and re-run the script that kicks off via /etc/rc.local to start things up.

Other daemon-based elements of the linux system seem to be self-maintaining.

Does anyone know on the steps necessary to install svxlink in a way like OpenRepeater project did - where it functions as a service and is controllable via that mechanism? Last I saw on that system, when it died (I had some bad TCL in a customized part of the voicemail module that made it unhappy) it restarted the svxlink program, which I just thought at the time was “normal”. It made the unit more “field survivable” i felt.

I’m hoping to replicate that somehow. I like the feeling of stability it gave.

Thanks!

Joe

On Mar 15, 2017, at 11:46, David Ranch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ken,

I have just purchased a new Raspberry Pi 3 and I have loaded it firstly with Noobs then I was prompted to update with Raspian which I did.
I am only learning so far but I am confused about loading the svxlink program is there a plain step by step guide available for people like me that are learning.

Svxlink has excellent documentation at:

   https://github.com/sm0svx/svxlink/wiki

There are configuration examples, etc available so start there.   I also have a step-by-step guide for a simplex node here:

   http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#43b.configsvxlink

If you have questions, this is the list to ask them on.

--David
KI6ZHD-L

Re: SVXlink Setup

k9dwr
* David Ranch <[hidden email]> [2017-03-15 08:46]:

> Hello Ken,
>
> >I have just purchased a new Raspberry Pi 3 and I have loaded it firstly
> >with Noobs then I was prompted to update with Raspian which I did.
> >I am only learning so far but I am confused about loading the svxlink
> >program is there a plain step by step guide available for people like me
> >that are learning.
>
> Svxlink has excellent documentation at:
>
>    https://github.com/sm0svx/svxlink/wiki

I wrote this part of the wiki

https://github.com/sm0svx/svxlink/wiki/InstallSrcHwRpi

It more-or-less details what I went through to set up a "simplex” node that
remotely connects to a repeater (i.e., it’s a simplex setup on a repeater pair
over the air, rather than connected directly to the repeater hardware).

It also lists the exact hardware I used to do it and a lot of the
troubleshooting and fixes I went through while trying to figure things out.

--
David, K9DWR