Silent node

Jacek Radzikowski
Hello,

I'd like to set up a node which will act a "repeater"
allowing me to access a local repeater, and I would like to make
it as unobtrusive as possible. This means that I need to limit all
unrequested on-air activity to minimum. By adjusting settings in the
config file I managed to mute all periodic announcements, however I'm
still looking for a way to remove join/leave messages. I tried
removing the wav files with recordings, however the node still
triggers PTT on the radio, even when it has nothing to say. I tried to
google, search mailing list archives, but I did not find a solution to
my problem.
What would be the best way to disable all pre-recorded messages played
through the radio?

Thanks,
Jacek.

--
Given a choice between two theories, take the one which is funnier

Re: Silent node

Rob Janssen
Jacek Radzikowski wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to set up a node which will act a "repeater"
> allowing me to access a local repeater, and I would like to make
> it as unobtrusive as possible. This means that I need to limit all
> unrequested on-air activity to minimum. By adjusting settings in the
> config file I managed to mute all periodic announcements, however I'm
> still looking for a way to remove join/leave messages. I tried
> removing the wav files with recordings, however the node still
> triggers PTT on the radio, even when it has nothing to say. I tried to
> google, search mailing list archives, but I did not find a solution to
> my problem.
> What would be the best way to disable all pre-recorded messages played
> through the radio?
>
> Thanks,
> Jacek.

By editing the tcl scripts that control how those messages are played.
You need to read the docs to find how to edit the files: by making a subdirectory
named "local", copy the part of the file (the procedures) you want to edit into there,
and then editing those copies.   The structure around the body (namespace declaration)
must also be copied.

However, even when you completely remove the content of a procedure, i.e. both the
play commands and the delays, the transmitter will still be keyed briefly.  For how
long depends on the global configuration values.