Strange sound effects....

Gullik Webjorn
Hi,

We have a setup with two receivers and two transmitters in test
operation. Both Tx's are served by remotetrx. Tx2 as been added
recently, and is used for "white spot coverage" at my QTH, and is
running 0.5 W.

Initially i have heard audio dropouts, and investigating them I have
seen link drops, and I have attributed the voice drops with "bad
internet connection" to main Tx.

Today I heard something on the local Tx, also served by remotetrx, and
located on my QTH LAN.

Instead of saying "sugar mike six foxtrot bravo delta repeater" it
clearly said:

"sugar mike six foxtrot bravo ...repeater", i.e. no "delta".

I immediately looked at the log of the corresponding remotetrx, no link
disconnect.

I also checked the svxlink server log, no problem.

How is this possible? It cannot be explained with "bad internet", and
there is nothing in the logs

to indicate that. Since we are running audio/TCP, we cannot lose data
either..

Has anyone else seen this? Any good explanation? Buffering problems in
the app?

Orange PI Zero, stable kernel 3.4.113-sun8i, RemoteTrx v1.2.0 built from
svxlink-15.11

Regards,

SM6FBD

Re: Strange sound effects....

svxlink-devel mailing list
Hi Gullik,

Your assumption is correct that all audio should be played back if there
is no TCP disconnect.

I'd check dmesg and other system logs to see if there are any error
messages concerning USB or alsa/audio.

73's de SM0SVX / Tobias

On 05/30/2017 01:37 PM, Gullik Webjorn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a setup with two receivers and two transmitters in test
> operation. Both Tx's are served by remotetrx. Tx2 as been added
> recently, and is used for "white spot coverage" at my QTH, and is
> running 0.5 W.
>
> Initially i have heard audio dropouts, and investigating them I have
> seen link drops, and I have attributed the voice drops with "bad
> internet connection" to main Tx.
>
> Today I heard something on the local Tx, also served by remotetrx, and
> located on my QTH LAN.
>
> Instead of saying "sugar mike six foxtrot bravo delta repeater" it
> clearly said:
>
> "sugar mike six foxtrot bravo ...repeater", i.e. no "delta".
>
> I immediately looked at the log of the corresponding remotetrx, no
> link disconnect.
>
> I also checked the svxlink server log, no problem.
>
> How is this possible? It cannot be explained with "bad internet", and
> there is nothing in the logs
>
> to indicate that. Since we are running audio/TCP, we cannot lose data
> either..
>
> Has anyone else seen this? Any good explanation? Buffering problems in
> the app?
>
> Orange PI Zero, stable kernel 3.4.113-sun8i, RemoteTrx v1.2.0 built
> from svxlink-15.11
>
> Regards,
>
> SM6FBD

Re: Strange sound effects....

Joe Erlewein N8CN
I had something like this happening intermittently.
Turns out the USB Sound card I was using and the phono cable going into it was “dirty” and when I touched/moved it, it started working again without dropouts.

I eventually polished the cable plug, and didn’t have the issue again… until my final design included direct soldering to the USB audio dongles (took the connectors and chance for coming loose, getting damaged, or becoming corroded completely out of the picture!) .

When in doubt.. solder. :)

de N8CN

> On Jul 17, 2017, at 13:19, Tobias Blomberg via Svxlink-devel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Gullik,
>
> Your assumption is correct that all audio should be played back if there is no TCP disconnect.
>
> I'd check dmesg and other system logs to see if there are any error messages concerning USB or alsa/audio.
>
> 73's de SM0SVX / Tobias
>

> On 05/30/2017 01:37 PM, Gullik Webjorn wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have a setup with two receivers and two transmitters in test operation. Both Tx's are served by remotetrx. Tx2 as been added recently, and is used for "white spot coverage" at my QTH, and is running 0.5 W.
>>
>> Initially i have heard audio dropouts, and investigating them I have seen link drops, and I have attributed the voice drops with "bad internet connection" to main Tx.
>>
>> Today I heard something on the local Tx, also served by remotetrx, and located on my QTH LAN.
>>
>> Instead of saying "sugar mike six foxtrot bravo delta repeater" it clearly said:
>>
>> "sugar mike six foxtrot bravo ...repeater", i.e. no "delta".
>>
>> I immediately looked at the log of the corresponding remotetrx, no link disconnect.
>>
>> I also checked the svxlink server log, no problem.
>>
>> How is this possible? It cannot be explained with "bad internet", and there is nothing in the logs
>>
>> to indicate that. Since we are running audio/TCP, we cannot lose data either..
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this? Any good explanation? Buffering problems in the app?
>>
>> Orange PI Zero, stable kernel 3.4.113-sun8i, RemoteTrx v1.2.0 built from svxlink-15.11
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> SM6FBD

Re: Strange sound effects....

Rob Janssen
Joe Erlewein wrote:
> I eventually polished the cable plug, and didn’t have the issue again… until my final design included direct soldering to the USB audio dongles (took the connectors and chance for coming loose, getting damaged, or becoming corroded completely out of the picture!) .
>
> When in doubt.. solder. :)

That is a good solution!  Those 3.5mm jacks are never completely reliable.
When you have a suitable thin shielded wire it is often possible to use the connector as a feed-through for the wire and solder it inside.