Svx stopped keying up

Danny de Bont
Hi,

A few days ago SvcLink stopped keying up my EchoLink interface board (AMI-2) which is connected on ttyS1. At first I thought the port might have gone dead, but ttyS0 and ttyS2 (I have a serial port add-on card which provides ttyS1 and 2) it does exactly the same thing. As a matter of fact I tried 2 other serial port add-on cards too with the same results.

I pulled the latest git and installed it (after deleting every SvxLink file I could find) but the problem still persists.

But here is the strange part. The AMI-2 can be "logged in" via a terminal program (used gtkterm) and control commands like TX and RX can be given. This works perfectly fine on every serial port including the ones on the other 2 add-on cards.

Still I could not get SvxLink to key-up the AMI-2. As back-up I have an EasyDigi board (vox only) on ttyUSB0. Same thing happens. All other apps can access ttyS* and ttyUSB* except for SvxLink.

I made no changes to any config, SvxLink just stopped keying up. RX (from the RF side still works).

Thank you

Danny
ZS6XOX

Re: Svx stopped keying up

David Ranch-3

Hello Danny,

What are the ownership, group ownership, and permissions of /dev/ttyS1 ?  What Unix user are you running Svxlink as?  Is that user in the "dialout" group?  On my system which uses UDEV persistent naming, I have:

   # ls -la /dev/d710-vfo
   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Apr 13 19:57 /dev/d710-vfo -> ttyUSB6

   # ls -la /dev/ttyUSB6
   crw-rw-rw- 1 svxlink dialout 188, 6 Apr 13 19:57 /dev/ttyUSB6

--David
KI6ZHD

Re: Svx stopped keying up

Danny de Bont
Hi David,

Thank you for the reply.

ttyS0 to ttyS2 including ttyUSB0 are all part of the dialout group with the same permissions as yours.

I have been running SvxLink with as root.

On 26 May 2017 5:47 PM, "David Ranch" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Danny,

What are the ownership, group ownership, and permissions of /dev/ttyS1 ?  What Unix user are you running Svxlink as?  Is that user in the "dialout" group?  On my system which uses UDEV persistent naming, I have:

   # ls -la /dev/d710-vfo
   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Apr 13 19:57 /dev/d710-vfo -> ttyUSB6

   # ls -la /dev/ttyUSB6
   crw-rw-rw- 1 svxlink dialout 188, 6 Apr 13 19:57 /dev/ttyUSB6

--David
KI6ZHD

Re: Svx stopped keying up

Danny de Bont
David,

Nothing shows up in messages ... however in dmesg I get the following:

svxlink[13111]: segfault at c ip b7727bf8 sp bfc09630 error 4 in libsigc-2.0.so.0.0.0[b7725000+5000]

Hope that helps.

Thank you

Danny

On 26 May 2017 11:49 PM, "David Ranch" <[hidden email]> wrote:

When you start Svxlink in non-daemon mode, do you see any errors on the console (STDOUT)?  Any errors reported in the "dmesg" command or the /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog, files?

--David

On 05/26/2017 11:28 AM, ZS6XOX -R wrote:
Hi David,

Thank you for the reply.

ttyS0 to ttyS2 including ttyUSB0 are all part of the dialout group with the same permissions as yours.

I have been running SvxLink with as root.

Re: Svx stopped keying up

David Ranch-3

Hello Danny,

Nothing shows up in messages ... however in dmesg I get the following:

svxlink[13111]: segfault at c ip b7727bf8 sp bfc09630 error 4 in libsigc-2.0.so.0.0.0[b7725000+5000]

Ok.. that means that Svxlink is at least partially crashing on you.  Let's get to basics here:

   - What Linux distro and version are you running?
   - What version of Svxlink is this?
   - How did you install the program?

--David
KI6ZHD

Re: Svx stopped keying up

Danny de Bont
I am running Debian Jessie with kernel 3.16.0-4-686-pae

SvxLink version is v1.5.98.8

Pulled it from git a few days ago and installed it as per usual instructions.

cd /path/svxlink/src
mkdir build
cd build
cmake (with flags given as per instructions) ..
make
make doc
make install
ldconfig

Thank you

On 27 May 2017 10:56 PM, "David Ranch" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Danny,

Nothing shows up in messages ... however in dmesg I get the following:

svxlink[13111]: segfault at c ip b7727bf8 sp bfc09630 error 4 in libsigc-2.0.so.0.0.0[b7725000+5000]

Ok.. that means that Svxlink is at least partially crashing on you.  Let's get to basics here:

   - What Linux distro and version are you running?
   - What version of Svxlink is this?
   - How did you install the program?

--David
KI6ZHD

Re: Svx stopped keying up

David Ranch-3

Hello Danny,

I am running Debian Jessie with kernel 3.16.0-4-686-pae
SvxLink version is v1.5.98.8

Ok.. the OS should be fine but if you're running bleeding edge Svxlink, you might be hitting a bug.  Can you try a mainline release like 15.11 just to test?

   https://github.com/sm0svx/svxlink/releases

Pulled it from git a few days ago and installed it as per usual instructions.

cd /path/svxlink/src
mkdir build
cd build
cmake (with flags given as per instructions) ..
make
make doc
make install
ldconfig

The next step if the release build also breaks is to create an instrumented build.  To do so, use the following "cmake" command:

  cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ..

and then build/install as expected.  After that, you want to enable coredumps on your machine:

  https://mike632t.wordpress.com/2015/11/14/obtaining-a-core-dump/

Then after you start Svxlink and it coredumps, you need to run a backtrace.  We can help you with that once you can find the location of the coredump file and the name of the executable that crashes.

--David
KI6ZHD