SvxLink - LiveCD

Birger Olsson
Hi folks!

I have done a Debian LiveCD version of SvxLink (server-only and no X).
Its far from perfect, but it simple and it works (even with my old
laptop). This is my first step on my project to build a bootable
SvxLink-USBstick. Just posting it to keep you posted :-) Bugs included.

Have a nice weekend,
73 de SM6VQJ / Birger

Features:

* Size: 100Mb ISO
* Boots and runs from CD with option to remaster CD (save your
configuration)
* Leavs your HD untouched
* Simple (dialog) menu with the following options (all working):

- Change soundcard driver
- Change audio levels
- Edit svxlink.conf
- Edit TclVoiceMail.conf
- Play welcome message
- Record welcome message
- Start SvxLink
- Remaster CD
- Reboot

Download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RKAKYST4 (100Mb)

Note: This is a free download/upload service with a lot of junk (wait
45 sec, pop-up, banners, etc, etc..). Sorry for this. Cant host this
file atm.

livecd.jpg (28K) Download Attachment

Re: SvxLink - LiveCD

Tim Miller WB0RXX
Birger Olsson wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I have done a Debian LiveCD version of SvxLink (server-only and no X).
> Its far from perfect, but it simple and it works (even with my old
> laptop). This is my first step on my project to build a bootable
> SvxLink-USBstick. Just posting it to keep you posted :-) Bugs included.

Very nice job Birger!  This should make it quite a bit easier for anyone
to get Svxlink up and running.

I had a little trouble getting LiveCD to work on both of my test PCs
until I used the "video=ofonly" option.  Perhaps you could make this the
default video mode instead of vesafb?

> - Change soundcard driver
> - Change audio levels
> - Edit svxlink.conf
> - Edit TclVoiceMail.conf
> - Play welcome message
> - Record welcome message
> - Start SvxLink
> - Remaster CD
> - Reboot

May I respectfully suggest that you add an option "Exit to shell" to
this menu?  While it is possible to Alt-F2/Ctrl-C to access the shell,
this is not really all that "user friendly" for those of us that want to
have a look around. :-)

I look forward to seeing your upcoming releases, especially when using a
USB stick.

73 de Tim

--
Tim Miller WB0RXX [EN24dw]
SvxLink v0.7.0rc2 (Nov  2 2005)

Re: Re: SvxLink - LiveCD

Birger Olsson
>Very nice job Birger!  This should make it quite a bit easier for
anyone
>to get Svxlink up and running.

Thanx! This was not even a release worth the name release. Just a
quick-and-dirty hack. It needs a big clean up job. I didnt do much work
with it after solving the dependencies (as isolinux).

I have loads of extra functions (APRS, DX-Cluster, etc, etc) but I
thought it was better to start with a standard SvxLink-setup to begin
with. I may make two versions. One clean standard and one with all the
extras. Cleaning up the standard version will be the first priority.
The first cleanup will be  mixed-language-bug and hotplug-bug.

>I had a little trouble getting LiveCD to work on both of my test PCs
>until I used the "video=ofonly" option.  Perhaps you could make this
the
>default video mode instead of vesafb?

I thought vesafb was a good choice. Will look into that.

>May I respectfully suggest that you add an option "Exit to shell" to
>this menu?  While it is possible to Alt-F2/Ctrl-C to access the
shell,
>this is not really all that "user friendly" for those of us that want
>have a look around. :-)

Yes, I will fix that. The current menu is not good at all. I think I
will do a simple/advanced menu option where the simple menu will prompt
for callsign, password etc with inputboxes and update svxlink.conf
with sed/awk magic. Exit to shell is a must. Sorry!

>I look forward to seeing your upcoming releases, especially when
using a
>USB stick.
>73 de Tim

All feedback and sugestions are welcome.

No credit to me, all the credit to the authors. I am just playing with
it. Open source is fantastic!

73 de SM6VQJ / Birger