SvxLink on USB pendrive - Do it yourself version

SvxLink on USB pendrive - Do it yourself version

Birger Olsson
Hello again!

This is a "work in progress" and writen down from my notes when I did
it the first time. I will post a better version when I have tried this
one a couple of times.

I will make a very simple (2 step) instruction for downloading and
using a ready-to-go image later. Will also try to reduce size so we can
use smaller pendrives, The ready-to-go-version will have the same menu
system as the LiveCD. This one is for the do-it-yourself-folks on the
list.

Debian (Ubuntu) have a very big selection of software packages that
you can install with apt-get. You can use this instruction for all kind
of small projects. Just install the pakages you want after step 40.

Enjoy!

73's Birger / SM6VQJ
Installing SvxLink on a USB-pendrive (512MB or bigger)

Requirements:

- Internet connection
- Computer with BIOS option to boot from USB
- CD-burner
- 1 empty CDR disc
- 1 USB-pendrive (bootable,512MB or bigger)
- BIOS option to boot from CDROM first and USB second

Step-by-step:

1. Download Ubuntu 5.10 from http://www.ubuntu.com/download
2. Burn the downloaded ISO-image
3. Disconnect all internal harddrives and plug in the pendrive
4. Boot your computer from the Ubuntu CDROM
5. Type server and press enter at the boot prompt
6. Select your language in the menu
7. Select your (language) location in the menu
8. Select your keyboard type
9. Wait for detection of CDROM och Network
10. Give your PC a name (hostname)
11. Wait for hardware detection
12. Select manual partitioning
13. Remove all partitions on the pendrive
14. Create a single partition with / as monting point. DONT use LVM.
15. Ignore missing swap partition warning
15. Wait for format and file copy (this will take some time)
16. Make sure GRUB bootloader installs on /dev/sda (if you ignored
step 3)
17. The installer ejects the CD and asks for reboot
18. IMPORTANT: Insert the CD and BOOT FROM CD AGAIN
19. Type rescue and press enter at the boot prompt
20. Select your language in the menu
21. Select your (language) location in the menu
22. Select your keyboard type
23. Wait for detection of CDROM och Network
24. Select partition to mount (only one option here)
25. A terminal with RESCUE MODE shows up
26. Press CTRL-ALT-F2 to start a new terminal
27. Press enter to activate the terminal
28. Type mount -tproc proc /target/proc
29. Type chroot /target
30. Type su
31. Edit /etc/mkinitramfs/modules and add the following lines at the
end of the file:

        ehci-hcd
        usb-storage
        scsi_mod
        sd_mod

32. Edit /etc/mkinitramfs/initramfs.conf and add the following line at
the top of the file:

        WAIT=12

33. Type mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-9-386 /lib/modules/2.
6.12-9-386
34. Type exit and keep typing exit until console says ?Press
Enter.....?
35. Press CTRL-ALT-F1
36. Type exit to reboot the system
37. Remove CD and boot from USB
38. Login with the user you created and type su
39. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list

        - Remove the line/line(s) at the top of the file where cdrom is
specified
        - Uncomment (remove # in begining of line) for the universe lines

40. Type apt-get update
41. Type apt-get install alsa-base alsa-utils wget alien tcl8.4 tcl8.4-
dev libgsm1 -y
42. Type wget http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.
net/sourceforge/svxlink/echolib-0.11.0-1fc4.i386.rpm
43. Type wget http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.
net/sourceforge/svxlink/libasync-0.13.0-1fc4.i386.rpm
44. Type wget http://dl.atrpms.net/all/libsigc++104-1.0.4-0_1.rhfc4.at.
i386.rpm
45. Type wget http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.
net/sourceforge/svxlink/svxlink-server-0.7.0-1fc4.i386.rpm
46. Type alien -i -c *.rpm
47. Type rm -f *.rpm
48. Type apt-get clean
49. Type echo "export ASYNC_AUDIO_NOTRIGGER=1" >>/etc/profile
50. Done