Svxlink PTT go sleep after 30 second of quite

Svxlink PTT go sleep after 30 second of quite

gviolette
Hi,

I have setup a new Svxlink using raspberry pi 2 and attached to a repeater
every thing works well except

After activating svxlink 2# and connection to a node  there is activity
coming from the other node every thing works,  the minute that there is a
30 second pause and the activity restart on the other node I don't get any
ptt from my svxlink , the only way to get it working is to make a ptt from
a portable radio on my repeater then i can get the other node activity why
is this ?

How can we solve this?

regards

GV

Re: Svxlink PTT go sleep after 30 second of quite

Rob Janssen
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have setup a new Svxlink using raspberry pi 2 and attached to a repeater
> every thing works well except
>
> After activating svxlink 2# and connection to a node  there is activity
> coming from the other node every thing works,  the minute that there is a
> 30 second pause and the activity restart on the other node I don't get any
> ptt from my svxlink , the only way to get it working is to make a ptt from
> a portable radio on my repeater then i can get the other node activity why
> is this ?
>
> How can we solve this?
>
> regards
>
> GV

Is this an EchoLink node?
In that case, make sure you have fixed port mappings for UDP port 5198 and 5199 in
your internet router.  When you cannot do that, configure an EchoLink proxy server.
(from the list at http://echolink.org/proxylist.jsp )

Re: Svxlink PTT go sleep after 30 second of quite

gviolette
> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have setup a new Svxlink using raspberry pi 2 and attached to a
>> repeater
>> every thing works well except
>>
>> After activating svxlink 2# and connection to a node  there is activity
>> coming from the other node every thing works,  the minute that there is
>> 30 second pause and the activity restart on the other node I don't get
>> any
>> ptt from my svxlink , the only way to get it working is to make a ptt
>> from
>> a portable radio on my repeater then i can get the other node activity
>> why
>> is this ?
>>
>> How can we solve this?
>>
>> regards
>>
>> GV
>>

> Is this an EchoLink node?
> In that case, make sure you have fixed port mappings for UDP port 5198 and
> 5199 in
> your internet router.  When you cannot do that, configure an EchoLink
> proxy server.
> (from the list at http://echolink.org/proxylist.jsp )
>
> Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info actually we found our solution , we had 2 rules on the
commercial firewall , one for tcp 5200 and we had mad one for UDP port
5198- 5199 ,it did not like this  rule  with the range, so we created 3
individual rules and now it works .

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> Thanks for the info actually we found our solution , we had 2 rules on the
> commercial firewall , one for tcp 5200 and we had mad one for UDP port
> 5198- 5199 ,it did not like this  rule  with the range, so we created 3
> individual rules and now it works .
>
> Regards
>
> GV

The rule for TCP and for port 5200 is not required!
You only need a rule for 5198 UDP and 5199 UDP.

Re: Svxlink PTT go sleep after 30 second of quite

gviolette
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Thanks for the info actually we found our solution , we had 2 rules on
>> the
>> commercial firewall , one for tcp 5200 and we had mad one for UDP port
>> 5198- 5199 ,it did not like this  rule  with the range, so we created 3
>> individual rules and now it works .
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> GV
>>

> The rule for TCP and for port 5200 is not required!
> You only need a rule for 5198 UDP and 5199 UDP.
>
> Rob

Hi All ,

After doing all recommendations and I tough it was fixed, it still has the
same issue aver few seconds no ptt from raspberry to repeater ports are
open one rule each for 5198 UDP and 5199 UDP it dose work for a few
seconds then stops

[hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi All ,
>>
>> After doing all recommendations and I tough it was fixed, it still has the
>> same issue aver few seconds no ptt from raspberry to repeater ports are
>> open one rule each for 5198 UDP and 5199 UDP it dose work for a few
>> seconds then stops

Of course you do not only need to "allow" this traffic, but also "forward" it to the address
of your svxlink system on the LAN.

Again, if your router cannot do it or has bugs, just use an Echolink Proxy server and all
trouble will be gone.

Re: Svxlink PTT go sleep after 30 second of quite

gviolette
I have or not Nat in place I have the same results

That is not your typical home base router it is a comercial and I put network sniffer on it I don't see any blocked ports I just don't get the tragic coming back

Gilles Violette wrote:
> I have or not Nat in place I have the same results
>
> That is not your typical home base router it is a comercial and I put network sniffer on it I don't see any blocked ports I just don't get the tragic coming back

Ok.. I can only assure you that when there is no blocking of UDP traffic you won't have this problem!
Especially the 30 seconds is very indicative as this is a common timeout for stateful firewalling or NATting on UDP traffic.

Re: Svxlink PTT go sleep after 30 second of quite

gviolette
> Gilles Violette wrote:
>> I have or not Nat in place I have the same results
>>
>> That is not your typical home base router it is a comercial and I put
>> network sniffer on it I don't see any blocked ports I just don't get the
>> tragic coming back
>>

> Ok.. I can only assure you that when there is no blocking of UDP traffic
> you won't have this problem!
> Especially the 30 seconds is very indicative as this is a common timeout
> for stateful firewalling or NATting on UDP traffic.
>
> Rob

yes correct and i did find it and did call the manufacture and the
timeout sessions on udp's cant be deactivated so how do you configure the
gateway on  svxlink raspberry pi b+ what are the steps to complete this ?

regards

Re: Svxlink PTT go sleep after 30 second of quite

Robert
What model router in case others have the same unit?

>> I have or not Nat in place I have the same results
>>
>> That is not your typical home base router it is a comercial and I put
>> network sniffer on it I don't see any blocked ports I just don't get
>> the tragic coming back
>>

> Ok.. I can only assure you that when there is no blocking of UDP
> traffic you won't have this problem!
> Especially the 30 seconds is very indicative as this is a common
> timeout for stateful firewalling or NATting on UDP traffic.
>
> Rob

yes correct and i did find it and did call the manufacture and the timeout
sessions on udp's cant be deactivated so how do you configure the gateway on
svxlink raspberry pi b+ what are the steps to complete this ?

regards

Re: Svxlink PTT go sleep after 30 second of quite

gviolette
> What model router in case others have the same unit?

zyxel 20USG it is a hardware limitation (memory) if the UDP session is
open then it takes memory resources bad design Watchguard much better

Also I need an answer on how to program this gateway in svxlink ?

[hidden email] wrote:
> yes correct and i did find it and did call the manufacture and the
> timeout sessions on udp's cant be deactivated so how do you configure the
> gateway on  svxlink raspberry pi b+ what are the steps to complete this ?

See "man ModuleEchoLink.conf"