Svxreflector and new DYNDNS - IP

dl7ata
Hi folks,
did anybody else has the same issue with svxreflector:

The svxreflector - server is running on a RasPi in my shack. Every night I
am getting a new IP from my ISP and tell DYNDNS the new one. The clients are
not able to change to the new IP overnight. The keep trying the first IP the
got when starting svxlink all long. I watched it for several days.
My workaround is to restart svxlink from each client after renewing the
server IP (pkill and restart via cronjob bash during the night). In that
case they are able to (re)connect.

Any ideas to change into normal?
Frank

Re: Svxreflector and new DYNDNS - IP

Rob Janssen
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi folks,
> did anybody else has the same issue with svxreflector:
>
> The svxreflector - server is running on a RasPi in my shack. Every night I
> am getting a new IP from my ISP and tell DYNDNS the new one. The clients are
> not able to change to the new IP overnight. The keep trying the first IP the
> got when starting svxlink all long. I watched it for several days.
> My workaround is to restart svxlink from each client after renewing the
> server IP (pkill and restart via cronjob bash during the night). In that
> case they are able to (re)connect.
>
> Any ideas to change into normal?
> Frank

I think when you are faced with such behaviour from your ISP, it is best to create some form
of VPN between your Svxlink sites that overcomes this problem and results in fixed addresses
at both ends.  This can also have the advantage of protection from outside access to your
equipment.
One way of doing this is to use an AMPRnet/HAMNET address.  But you can also use
facilities of your router, or software on the RasPi (like OpenVPN).

Re: Svxreflector and new DYNDNS - IP

svxlink-devel mailing list
Hi Frank,

The latest version of the ReflectorLogic now always do a DNS lookup
before trying to reconnect.

73's de SM0SVX / Tobias