UDRC-II / Raspberry PI / Svxlink.conf PTT parameters

UDRC-II / Raspberry PI / Svxlink.conf PTT parameters

Robert White
Hello all,

I have dived into the waters, purchased an URDC-II, downloaded and compiled the svxlink software successfully.  I am attempting to prototype this solution for our radio club at home before we install it on some remote mountain location :)

I'm a little bit stumped on what values to choose for the PTT_PIN and PTT_PORT parameters in Svxlink to support the UDRC-II though I have looked a bunch of places.

These are some values I've tried.

PTT_TYPE=GPIO
PTT_PORT=GPIO
PTT_PIN=gpio??  Where ?? = I am not sure which pin to put.

Does the UDRC-II support DTRRTS?  Does the GPIO pin need to be initialized beforehand?  Seen some indication elsewhere of initialization code but need to know pin number first.

Seems like PTT parameters would always be the same for any URDC-II using Svxlink.  It's my intention to use the 6 pin DIN cable with my Kenwood 710 radio.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Robert / K0RCW

Sent from my iPad

Re: UDRC-II ∕ Raspberry PI ∕ Svxlink.conf PTT parameters

David Ranch-3

Hello Robert,

I have dived into the waters, purchased an URDC-II, downloaded and compiled the svxlink software successfully

I assume you're using this on their Compass Linux distro right (no other distro has the TI soundcard driver in the kernel yet)

PTT_PIN=gpio??  Where ?? = I am not sure which pin to put

Per the UDRC Wiki, you should use GPIO pin 12:

   https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC%E2%84%A2-and-Direwolf-Packet-Modem#Configure-Direwolf

Does the UDRC-II support DTRRTS?

The UDRC board is specifically designed to solve this using GPIO pin 12 so there is no need to work around that support

 Does the GPIO pin need to be initialized beforehand?  Seen some indication elsewhere of initialization code but need to know pin number first.

Svxlink should do this for you.

Seems like PTT parameters would always be the same for any URDC-II using Svxlink.  It's my intention to use the 6 pin DIN cable with my Kenwood 710 radio.

Should work fine and don't forget to put your radio into Echolink mode to get the COS support (you'll want to tune the audio levels too which will require a Windows computer and Kenwood's D710 program):

   http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#43e.configsvxlinkradio

--David
KI6ZHD

Re: UDRC-II / Raspberry PI / Svxlink.conf PTT parameters

Robert White
Hi David -

Thank you, I was a little bit thrown off by the Wiki referring to Direwolf (which I don't think I need if I'm running Svxlink).

I am down to hopefully one last error message.

I type:  "sudo svxlink" and get this error message:

*** ERROR: Could not open GPIO /says/class/gpio/gpio12/value for writing in transmitter Tx1.
*** ERROR: Could not initialize TX "Tx1"

Thanks for your valuable input.  In particular appreciate your instructions about how to approach setting the Kenwood audio levels.

Robert

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 22, 2016, at 10:39 AM, David Ranch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Robert,

[...]

Sorry about that but as you read Linux documentation, you can just gleam out the details you want and ignore the rest.  Direwolf is a packet radio application using soundcards to do 300 / 1200 baud, AFSK, 2400 / 4800 QPSK, and 9600 FSK packet and APRS.  Very slick and multi-platform (Linux, Mac, and Windows).

*** ERROR: Could not open GPIO /says/class/gpio/gpio12/value for writing in transmitter Tx1.
*** ERROR: Could not initialize TX "Tx1"

What Unix user are you running the svxlink process under?  You need to make sure whatever user you're using is included in the "gpio" Unix group (don't forget the audio group too).  This is covered in SvxLink's Rpi documentation:

   https://github.com/sm0svx/svxlink/wiki/InstallSrcHwRpi

This also covered my Rpi document which intended for use with Direwolf but will be completely relevant for what you're doing with Svxlink (and includes other areas as well):

   http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/RPi/rpi2-setup.html#3a.initial-security-newuser

Thanks for your valuable input.  In particular appreciate your instructions about how to approach setting the Kenwood audio levels.

You're welcome and the D710 works very well with Svxlink... I've been running a simplex node for years with this setup!

--David
KI6ZHD

Re: UDRC-II ∕ Raspberry PI ∕ Svxlink.conf PTT parameters

Robert White
Hi David -

Because of your previous help, I think I'm very close to getting this to work.  This final issue frustrates me as I'm not sure if it's a radio issue or an UDRC-II issue.  Perhaps you can help me over the last hurdle.  I'll summarize when I get this working and post for a DM-710 / UDRC-II combination.

In short, I can now at this point use my HT to send DTMSS codes through my DM710 and they will be heard and decoded by the running Svxlink instance on the Raspberry Pi.  However, I  can't get the UDRC-II to go the other way - PTT the Kenwood D710.  A red LED does light on the top of the UDRC-II during a transmit from the svxlink instance, i.e. I type 01# on the keyboard, but nothing gets transmitted.

I am using the official 6 pin DIN cable sold by nwdigital from the UDRC-II to the TNC port of the D710.  I reinitialized the radio to its factory defaults.  I turned off 'packet' and 'aprs'.   Any other D710 parameters important?

Initialization script for the pins on the Pi:

echo 12 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio12/direction

echo 23 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo in > /sys/class/gpio/gpio23/direction

Relevant Snip from syslink.conf:

[Rx1]
TYPE=Local
AUDIO_DEV=alsa:plughw:1,0
AUDIO_CHANNEL=0
SQL_DET=GPIO
GPIO_SQL_PIN=23

[Tx1]
TYPE=Local
AUDIO_DEV=alsa:plughw:1,0
AUDIO_CHANNEL=0
PTT_TYPE=GPIO
PTT_PORT=GPIO
PTT_PIN=gpio12

Thanks,

Robert White / K0RCW

On Oct 22, 2016, at 10:37 AM, David Ranch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Robert,

[...]

That 6pin cable doesn't go into the D710 head (the TNC) .. as your not doing packet!  It needs to go into the 6pin connector on the back the D710 radio body labeled DATA.  Btw.. in a classic Echolink setup.. there are TWO cables that go int other radio body:   One cable for the audio connection and another for the PTT signals (http://remotesmart.wikidot.com/kenwood-tm-d710).  When using this setup, you put your D710 is in "Echolink" mode.  If your setup is only using one cable, it's probably only using the DATA jack.  As such, do NOT put your radio into Echolink mode.

--David
KI6ZHD

Re: UDRC-II / Raspberry PI / Svxlink.conf PTT parameters

Robert White
Hello David,

I do have the six pin cable plugged into the correct data port on the back of the DM-710.

I also own the second cable that goes from the back of the DM-710 to a female 9 pin connector.  (I have used Echolink with a regular PC before using both cables.)

The 9 pin connector on the UDRC-II is also 9 pin female.  Not sure what to do at this point - obtain or make the cable in the link you sent?  I was under the impression I only would need the 6 pin mini DIN to make this work.

Thanks,

Robert

Sent from my iPhone -

On Oct 24, 2016, at 19:10, David Ranch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Robert,

[...]

Since the PTT LED on the UDRC lights up but the radio doesn't key up, this tells me you have a layer-1 problem.  I would use a volt meter and pin/paper-clip and confirm the PTT line on the 6-pin connector on the UDRC is actually asserting PTT.   If it is asserting ok, then check the continuity of the wires in the UDRC2 6-pin cable you have.

On the D710 side, check configuration:

   517 - Ext Data Band - I have this set to B-Band
      vs
   529 - Int data band (packet) - I have this set to A-Band

   Also make sure 518 is set to 1200

Btw.. since I don't have a UDRC2, I can't say much more.  If you don't use the 9-pin jack on the D710's radio body, you won't get the COS signal which makes it a great radio for Echolink.  You might want to talk to the NW Digital guys to see what they recommend.  They might recommend to bring the COS signal into Svxlink via a Raspberry Pi GPIO pin but I imagine this will require a level shifter circuit to adapt the RS232 voltages (12v) to 3.3v.

--David
KI6ZHD