Upgraded Ubuntu and SvxLink Can't Open Sound Card

Upgraded Ubuntu and SvxLink Can't Open Sound Card

Yehuda Katz
I updated from Ubuntu 13.04 to 13.10 (in preparation for 14.04) and SvxLink will not start any more.
The system does not have a desktop installed, so there should not be any other services using the soundcard.

The soundcard is recognized by the operating system, and when I run aplay /usr/share/svxlink/sounds/en_US/EchoLink/greeting.wav, the sound does play.

When I run SvxLink on the console, this is what I get:
root@echolink1:~# svxlink
SvxLink v1.2.0 (Jul 30 2013) Copyright (C) 2003-2013 Tobias Blomberg / SM0SVX

SvxLink comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it in accordance with the terms and conditions in the
GNU GPL (General Public License) version 2 or later.

Using configuration file: /etc/svxlink/svxlink.conf
--- Using sample rate 48000Hz

Starting logic: SimplexLogic
*** ERROR: Open capture audio device failed: Device or resource busy
*** Error: Could not open audio device for receiver "Rx1"
*** ERROR: Could not initialize RX "Rx1"
*** ERROR: Could not initialize Logic object "SimplexLogic". Skipping...
*** ERROR: No logics available. Bailing out...

The configuration is basically the default Ubuntu package config: https://gist.github.com/yakatz/72da8312cf58787896bf

Anyone have any ideas or experienced this before?

- Y

Re: Upgraded Ubuntu and SvxLink Can't Open Sound Card

Rob Janssen
Yehuda Katz wrote:

> Anyone have any ideas or experienced this before?

I recently debugged this for someone and it turned out he had unknowingly installed svxlink
as a service and was trying to start it manually from the terminal window.
The one that was running as a service was using the same soundcard already.

Try "ps ax" and see if it is already running.

Re: Upgraded Ubuntu and SvxLink Can't Open Sound Card

Yehuda Katz
Thanks Rob, but I have checked multiple times and SvxLink is definitely not running.

(What alerted me to the situation is that I have monitoring on the server for when the svxlink process stops.)

- Y

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Rob Janssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yehuda Katz wrote:

> Anyone have any ideas or experienced this before?

I recently debugged this for someone and it turned out he had unknowingly installed svxlink
as a service and was trying to start it manually from the terminal window.
The one that was running as a service was using the same soundcard already.

Try "ps ax" and see if it is already running.

Re: Upgraded Ubuntu and SvxLink Can't Open Sound Card

Gustavo Conrad

  Check that the card is named as card 0, by issuing the following in terminal: cat /proc/asound/cards
   The first number on the left is the card number as recognized by the system.

73!

Gustavo - LU8WFY

http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech

Re: Upgraded Ubuntu and SvxLink Can't Open Sound Card

Yehuda Katz
Hi Gustavo,

I do get 0:

[hidden email]:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xdfdfc000 irq 44

I am going to attempt the 14.04 upgrade and see if anything changes.

- Y

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 8:14 AM, Gustavo Conrad <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

After the upgrade, I am now getting a different error:
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1667:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card

I will investigate some more.

- Y

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 9:52 PM, Yehuda Katz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Change that. I only get that error when I am not running as root.

Otherwise, it is still:
[hidden email]:~# svxlink
SvxLink v1.2.0 (Jul 30 2013) Copyright (C) 2003-2013 Tobias Blomberg / SM0SVX

SvxLink comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it in accordance with the terms and conditions in the
GNU GPL (General Public License) version 2 or later.

Using configuration file: /etc/svxlink/svxlink.conf
--- Using sample rate 48000Hz

Starting logic: SimplexLogic
*** ERROR: Open capture audio device failed: Device or resource busy
*** Error: Could not open audio device for receiver "Rx1"
*** ERROR: Could not initialize RX "Rx1"
*** ERROR: Could not initialize Logic object "SimplexLogic". Skipping...
*** ERROR: No logics available. Bailing out...

aplay still shows the same devices:
[hidden email]:~# aplay --list-devices
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD1984 Analog [AD1984 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 2: AD1984 Alt Analog [AD1984 Alt Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

- Y

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 11:16 PM, Yehuda Katz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Oddly enough, after I rebooted to complete the 14.04 upgrade, I noticed that /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub0/status is showing RUNNING instead of closed.
The process running it was remotetrx (which I never remember configuring). Once I killed it, the server started with no trouble.

I will poke around to see if I can find what started remotetrx.

- Y

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 11:19 PM, Yehuda Katz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Yehuda,

  I was pointing in the same direction. One easy way to check that it would be doing rmmod snd_hda_intel (or whatever the module supporting your sound card is).  If the card is used by some process it would refuse to unload the module.
  I'm glad that you solved the problem.

73!

Gustavo.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/ExoPlatform