*** WARNING: could not find audio clip "greeting" in context "EchoLink"

*** WARNING: could not find audio clip "greeting" in context "EchoLink"

Hans Cook
My setup:

Raspberry Pi 2
SvxLink release 15.11
Raspbian Jessie

echolink@pippin:~ $ uname -a
Linux pippin 4.1.16-v7+ #833 SMP Wed Jan 27 14:32:22 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

echolink@pippin:~ $ /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version
Jan 29 2016 13:47:54
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 75a32fd37768d64654506c3eaba453ecc3d587a6 (clean) (release)

The issue:

svxlink does not play the greeting. The message '*** WARNING: could not find audio clip "greeting" in context "EchoLink"' appears on the console when anyone connects.

I don't have a transceiver connected yet, but am able to connect to EchoLink successfully. Other operators are able to connect to my my svxlink box, and through some headphones connected to the sound card I am able to hear them speaking. So, all's well in those regards.

What I've done:

- reboot
- sudo apt-get upgrade
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo rpi-update
- searched the web and found two threads regarding very similar messages in this group, but neither really provided an answer
- dug around in EchoLink.tcl and Module.tcl trying to figure out where they are looking for greeting.wav, but since I'm not even a poor programmer I'm lost
- verified existence of greeting.wav -- it is located in /usr/local/share/svxlink/sounds/en_US/EchoLink/

I suspect (though again I'm not a programmer and don't know how to access the various system variables) that the tcl modules are looking in the wrong place for the file, which also leads me to believe that the other files may not play correctly when the time comes.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Re: *** WARNING: could not find audio clip "greeting" in context "EchoLink"

Rob Janssen
Hans Cook wrote:

> The issue:
>
> svxlink does not play the greeting. The message '*** WARNING: could not find audio clip "greeting" in context "EchoLink"' appears on the console when anyone connects.
>
> - verified existence of greeting.wav -- it is located in /usr/local/share/svxlink/sounds/en_US/EchoLink/

Do you have this in the config for the logic:
DEFAULT_LANG=en_US

This is part of the path name as you can see above.

Re: *** WARNING: could not find audio clip "greeting" in context "EchoLink"

Hans Cook
>Rob Janssen wrote:

>>Hans Cook wrote:
>>
>> The issue:
>>
>> svxlink does not play the greeting. The message '*** WARNING: could not find audio clip "greeting" in context "EchoLink"' appears on the console when anyone connects.
>>
>> - verified existence of greeting.wav -- it is located in /usr/local/share/svxlink/sounds/en_US/EchoLink/
>
>Do you have this in the config for the logic:
>DEFAULT_LANG=en_US
>
>This is part of the path name as you can see above.
>
>Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes, I believe that I've gotten every instance of DEFAULT LANG in the conf files:

echolink@pippin:/ $ sudo grep --include=\*.conf -rnw -e "DEFAULT_LANG"
usr/local/etc/svxlink/svxlink.d/ModuleEchoLink.conf:28:DEFAULT_LANG=en_US
usr/local/etc/svxlink/svxlink.conf:28:DEFAULT_LANG=en_US
usr/local/etc/svxlink/svxlink.conf:53:DEFAULT_LANG=en_US

Again, I'm not a programmer but I think this is where it's getting lost / hung up:

echolink@pippin:/ $ sudo grep --include=\*.tcl -rnw -e "in context"
usr/local/share/svxlink/events.tcl:30:    puts "*** WARNING: Could not find audio clip \"$msg\" in context \"$context\"";

Based on the info in lines 17-19:

# Play a message in a certain context. A context can for example be Core,
# EchoLink, Help, Parrot etc. If a sound is not found in the specified context,
# a search in the "Default" context is done.

and line 25, it looks like it should be working:

set candidates [glob -nocomplain "$langdir/$context/$msg.{wav,raw,gsm}" \

If $langdir = en_US and $context = EchoLink, then I think /usr/local/share/svxlink/sounds/en_US/EchoLink/greeting.wav should work.

Is my reading of this correct? Ideas? Suggestions?

Hans Cook wrote:
>Rob Janssen wrote:
>
>>Hans Cook wrote:
>>
>> The issue:
>>
>> svxlink does not play the greeting. The message '*** WARNING: could not find audio clip "greeting" in context "EchoLink"' appears on the console when anyone connects.
>>
>> - verified existence of greeting.wav -- it is located in /usr/local/share/svxlink/sounds/en_US/EchoLink/
>
>Do you have this in the config for the logic:
>DEFAULT_LANG=en_US
>
>This is part of the path name as you can see above.
>
>Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes, I believe that I've gotten every instance of DEFAULT LANG in the conf files:

echolink@pippin:/ $ sudo grep --include=\*.conf -rnw -e "DEFAULT_LANG"
usr/local/etc/svxlink/svxlink.d/ModuleEchoLink.conf:28:DEFAULT_LANG=en_US
usr/local/etc/svxlink/svxlink.conf:28:DEFAULT_LANG=en_US
usr/local/etc/svxlink/svxlink.conf:53:DEFAULT_LANG=en_US

Again, I'm not a programmer but I think this is where it's getting lost / hung up:

echolink@pippin:/ $ sudo grep --include=\*.tcl -rnw -e "in context"
usr/local/share/svxlink/events.tcl:30:    puts "*** WARNING: Could not find audio clip \"$msg\" in context \"$context\"";

Based on the info in lines 17-19:

# Play a message in a certain context. A context can for example be Core,
# EchoLink, Help, Parrot etc. If a sound is not found in the specified context,
# a search in the "Default" context is done.

and line 25, it looks like it should be working:

set candidates [glob -nocomplain "$langdir/$context/$msg.{wav,raw,gsm}" \

If $langdir = en_US and $context = EchoLink, then I think /usr/local/share/svxlink/sounds/en_US/EchoLink/greeting.wav should work.

Is my reading of this correct? Ideas? Suggestions?

The remainder of the pathname is derived from the configuration of EVENT_HANDLER in the logic.
So make sure you have this in the config: EVENT_HANDLER=/usr/local/share/svxlink/events.tcl

When the path is different, the sounds should also be in that different location.