Quantcast

*** WARNING: could not find audio clip "greeting" in context "EchoLink"

*** WARNING: could not find audio clip "greeting" in context "EchoLink"

Hans Cook
Rob Janssen wrote:

The remainder of the pathname is derived from the configuration of EVENT_HANDLER in the logic.
So make sure you have this in the config: EVENT_HANDLER=/usr/local/share/svxlink/events.tcl

When the path is different, the sounds should also be in that different location.

Thanks -- yes, I can verify that the only two instances of EVENT_HANDLER that I can find are (and were already) correct:

echolink@pippin:/ $ sudo grep --include=\*.conf -rnw -e "EVENT_HANDLER"
usr/local/etc/svxlink/svxlink.conf:27:EVENT_HANDLER=/usr/local/share/svxlink/events.tcl
usr/local/etc/svxlink/svxlink.conf:52:EVENT_HANDLER=/usr/local/share/svxlink/events.tcl

Is it possible that there is another path variable of sorts that is mis/unconfigured?

Thanks for your help!

Re: *** WARNING: could not find audio clip "greeting" in context "EchoLink"

Rob Janssen
Hans Cook wrote:
Rob Janssen wrote:

The remainder of the pathname is derived from the configuration of EVENT_HANDLER in the logic.
So make sure you have this in the config: EVENT_HANDLER=/usr/local/share/svxlink/events.tcl

When the path is different, the sounds should also be in that different location.

Thanks -- yes, I can verify that the only two instances of EVENT_HANDLER that I can find are (and were already) correct:

echolink@pippin:/ $ sudo grep --include=\*.conf -rnw -e "EVENT_HANDLER"
usr/local/etc/svxlink/svxlink.conf:27:EVENT_HANDLER=/usr/local/share/svxlink/events.tcl
usr/local/etc/svxlink/svxlink.conf:52:EVENT_HANDLER=/usr/local/share/svxlink/events.tcl

Is it possible that there is another path variable of sorts that is mis/unconfigured?

I don't think so...  but make sure that the user running svxlink has permission to read those files and all directories
above them.

Re: *** WARNING: could not find audio clip "greeting" in context "EchoLink"

Hans Cook

I thought that might be a possibility, so have tried running svxlink both as a daemon (running as root according to top) and via manual command line as user echolink. The error message doesn't appear when running as a daemon, but the greeting still doesn't play. This has been confirmed by me and by other hams connecting to the box. Is there additional testing I need to do, or does this experiment cover it?

Re: file and directory permissions, since root has permissions to everything by default, root should have all the rights needed -- correct?

For what it's worth, here are the users and respective group memberships that could possibly be involved:

echolink@pippin:/ $ groups root
root : root

echolink@pippin:/ $ groups echolink
echolink : echolink adm dialout cdrom sudo audio video plugdev games users input netdev spi i2c gpio

echolink@pippin:/ $ groups svxlink
svxlink : svxlink

Thanks for helping me out on this!

Hans

Hans Cook wrote:

> I thought that might be a possibility, so have tried running svxlink both as a daemon (running as root according to top) and via manual command line as user echolink. The error message doesn't appear when running as a daemon, but the greeting still
> doesn't play. This has been confirmed by me and by other hams connecting to the box. Is there additional testing I need to do, or does this experiment cover it?

Start the program, use "ps axf" to find out what PID it has, then run "strace" to find what it is doing:

strace -o /tmp/trace -p PID

Then perform the action that does not work, ^C out of the strace and look in /tmp/trace to find what it has tried to do and what went wrong.

Re: *** WARNING: could not find audio clip "greeting" in context "EchoLink"

Hans Cook
I got it!

I had commented out the first line of DESCRIPTION section in ModuleEchoLink.conf and added a new DESCRIPTION section so that I could keep the original for reference. My thinking was that, since all the lines in the section are interpreted through DESCRIPTION, all I would need to do would be to comment out that first line. Clearly wrong. I commented out the rest of the original DESCRIPTION lines and it began working immediately.

The trace file was the key.

Thanks for all your help!