Yaesu C4FM + RTL SDR + SVXLink = Possible?

Yaesu C4FM + RTL SDR + SVXLink = Possible?

Joel Vazquez
Hello everyone,
I currently have a RTL SDR dongle reciever working in my node, but I wonder if it is possible to receive C4FM modulation with it and input it to SVXLink.  I know there are ways to receive it and decode it on linux, but is there a way to pair it with SVXLink so I can use my yaesu HT on digital voice?

73's DE AE4SR,
Joel Vazquez-Rodriguez

Email: [hidden email]
Web: ae4sr.us

Re: Yaesu C4FM + RTL SDR + SVXLink = Possible?

Rob Janssen
Joel Vazquez wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I currently have a RTL SDR dongle reciever working in my node, but I wonder if it is possible to receive C4FM modulation with it and input it to SVXLink.  I know there are ways to receive it and decode it on linux, but is there a way to pair it
> with SVXLink so I can use my yaesu HT on digital voice?

You can always try using a loopback audio device.
Add "snd-aloop" to /etc/modules, configure an svxlink receiver with device Loopback,0,1 and configure a C4FM receiver with output to Loopback,0,0

I never tried this particular combination but we use the Loopback device for special purposes like output to a streamserver or input from an mp3 player (for bulletin transmission)
and it works fine.

Re: Yaesu C4FM + RTL SDR + SVXLink = Possible?

David Ranch-3

There is software like DSD and DSD+ (very different forks these days) that might be able to decode the AMBE2000 vocoder packets in the C4FM frames as it's the same format as used in DMR.   The key point here is that Svxlink is an analog system... it doesn't transport digital signals.  You might get lucky sending some C4FM frames though it and get decodible frames on the other side but the bit error rates will be very high when it works at all.

Alternatively, there is the DV4mini (has poor audio reports), DVMega (many people love these units), OpenSpot (new kid on the block), etc products which have some C4FM support and it can get you on the FCS reflectors on the BrandMiester network.  the FCS network is incompatible with Yaesu's proprietary WiresX network and sounds like it might be forever.

--David
KI6ZHD