Quantcast

external triggers via GPIO / system events

external triggers via GPIO / system events

Joe Erlewein N8CN
Hello,

I’m interested in knowing if it is possible to cause an “alert” to be generated by the repeater via some trigger event.

Eventually, I’d like to install this controller at a remote site, and I’d like a “cover switch” to trigger a GIPO event, and then have the repeater transmit that the “repeater cabinet has been opened” and perhaps change the courtesy tone until the event has been cleared. Something like that.

Same for a weather warning event - is there a way to trigger an action / status change ?

Thanks!
73 de Joe N8CN

Re: external triggers via GPIO / system events

Rob Janssen
Joe Erlewein N8CN wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m interested in knowing if it is possible to cause an “alert” to be generated by the repeater via some trigger event.
>
> Eventually, I’d like to install this controller at a remote site, and I’d like a “cover switch” to trigger a GIPO event, and then have the repeater transmit that the “repeater cabinet has been opened” and perhaps change the courtesy tone until the event has been cleared. Something like that.
>
> Same for a weather warning event - is there a way to trigger an action / status change ?
>
> Thanks!
> 73 de Joe N8CN

Yes, that is certainly possible!
You can use external software like "WiringPi" to sense the status of a GPIO line and store the alert status in a file, and then modify the TCL routines to
send some message or change the courtesy tone when this file exists.

We use that to send DX alerts we retrieve using an external program.
(there is a module that does that, but we cannot use it because we have the EchoLink module active all the time)

We have this in local/Logic.tcl:

# check if dx message is present, play it and remove it

proc dxmessage {} {
   set dxmsg "/dev/shm/gooddx.wav";
   set svxmsg "/dev/shm/svxlink.wav";

   if {[file exists $dxmsg] == 1} {
     puts "playing dx message $dxmsg";
     if {[file exists $svxmsg] == 1} {
       file delete $svxmsg;
     }
     file rename $dxmsg $svxmsg;
     playSilence 150;
     playFile $svxmsg;
     playSilence 150;
   }
}

This is then called from the send_rgr_sound routine, and also from a 1 minute timer event routine that calls it
only when the repeater is idle.

In this case the file (which is put in place by the external program as /dev/shm/gooddx.wav) is played only once.
But of course that can be changed.