multiband xband repeater

Schaijk, Andre van
Firstof, thanks for writing this great software.

I'm planning to setup a multiband crossband repeater with echolink and svxlink looks like it might work for this.
The idea is to use 4 simplex radios on 10 m 2m 70cm and 23cm alowing anyone who keys up on one of the 4 frequenties to be heard on the other 3.
What is the best way to configure this?
setup 4 repeaterlogics with 1 rx and 3 tx or use 4 voter systems and feed the voters in the coresponding repeaterlogics with one tx?

73 de Andre PE1RDW

Disclaimer:
De informatie in dit e-mail bericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Verstrekking aan en gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan. Door elektronische verzending van het bericht kunnen geen rechten worden ontleend aan de informatie.

Re: multiband xband repeater

Tobias Blomberg
On Friday 28 April 2006 11:41, Schaijk, Andre van wrote:
> Firstof, thanks for writing this great software.

You're welcome :-)

> I'm planning to setup a multiband crossband repeater with echolink and
> svxlink looks like it might work for this. The idea is to use 4 simplex
> radios on 10 m 2m 70cm and 23cm alowing anyone who keys up on one of the 4
> frequenties to be heard on the other 3. What is the best way to configure
> this?

Cool idea! Unfortunately it's not possible to configure SvxLink to do what you
want to do. At least not without the help of some external hardware logic.

> setup 4 repeaterlogics with 1 rx and 3 tx or use 4 voter systems and feed
> the voters in the coresponding repeaterlogics with one tx?

The logic linking code is only able to handle one, on demand, link so it would
not be possible to permanently link four logics together. And also, the
EchoLink audio is not transported between logics right now. There is still
some work to do to make the linking code fully functional.

The only possible solution I can see right now with the latest release is the
following setup:

* You need four sound cards in your computer.
* Define one RepeaterLogic with a very short idle timeout
* Modify the event handling scripts to not send identification on repeater
up/down.
* Configure a Voter with four receivers, one on each sound card.
* Configure the repeater to open immediately on squelch open.
* Drive all transmitters with the same audio output and PTT. You probably need
external hardware buffers with independent gain adjustment to do this.
* Add external hardware logic to inhibit transmit on the transceiver where the
squelch is open.

The proper way to solve the problem when the logic linking code has been
finished would be to configure four SimplexLogics with permanent linking. The
received audio on one logic would then be transmitted by the other three.

73 de SM0SVX / Tobias

On Friday 28 April 2006 23:08, Tobias Blomberg wrote:

> The only possible solution I can see right now with the latest release is
> the following setup:
>
> * You need four sound cards in your computer.
> * Define one RepeaterLogic with a very short idle timeout
> * Modify the event handling scripts to not send identification on repeater
> up/down.
> * Configure a Voter with four receivers, one on each sound card.
> * Configure the repeater to open immediately on squelch open.
> * Drive all transmitters with the same audio output and PTT. You probably
> need external hardware buffers with independent gain adjustment to do this.
> * Add external hardware logic to inhibit transmit on the transceiver where
> the squelch is open.

I just realized that this solution will not work out-of-the-box with the
latest release. The repeater logic is programmed to open on squelch close
(directly following a squelch open of course). It's done this way so that the
one that open the repeater will not miss the initial announcement. This has
been discussed earlier on the list. Have a look at:

https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=10110347&forum_id=34097

This thread also tell you how to modify the source code for the repeater to
open directly on squelch open.

Another note; if you build the hardware suggested above you have almost built
the whole x-band logic. The only thing missing is for the squelch of one
receiver to trigger the other transmitters. Then a single channel
SimplexLogic could be connected to provide the SvxLink voice services.

73 de SM0SVX / Tobias

RE: multiband xband repeater

Schaijk, Andre van
> Van: Tobias Blomberg [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> On Friday 28 April 2006 23:08, Tobias Blomberg wrote:
>> The only possible solution I can see right now with the latest release is
>> the following setup:
>>
>> * You need four sound cards in your computer.
>> * Define one RepeaterLogic with a very short idle timeout
>> * Modify the event handling scripts to not send identification on repeater
>> up/down.
>> * Configure a Voter with four receivers, one on each sound card.
>> * Configure the repeater to open immediately on squelch open.
>> * Drive all transmitters with the same audio output and PTT. You probably
>> need external hardware buffers with independent gain adjustment to do this.
>> * Add external hardware logic to inhibit transmit on the transceiver where
>> the squelch is open.
>
> I just realized that this solution will not work out-of-the-box with the
> latest release. The repeater logic is programmed to open on squelch close
> (directly following a squelch open of course). It's done this way so that the
> one that open the repeater will not miss the initial announcement. This has
> been discussed earlier on the list. Have a look at:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=10110347&forum_id=34097
>
> This thread also tell you how to modify the source code for the repeater to
> open directly on squelch open.
>
> Another note; if you build the hardware suggested above you have almost built
> the whole x-band logic. The only thing missing is for the squelch of one
> receiver to trigger the other transmitters. Then a single channel
> SimplexLogic could be connected to provide the SvxLink voice services.
>
> 73 de SM0SVX / Tobias

Looks like I'll have some experimenting cut out for me :)
From your other post I asume you are already hard at work expanding the logic linking.

I'm not afraid to do some alpha/beta testing so if you want I'll check out the svc and help track down problems.

I'll let you know how it goes.