Quantcast

no greeting message

Martin
Hello,
i set up svxlink for a friend in V3 and experience a problem.

I get

Sat May  6 02:38:33 2017: ALSA lib
pcm_dsnoop.c:612:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave

There is no greeting message in my headphones when i connect it via
Network, but after a while it says 'timeout'

--

Ohne CW ist es nur CB..

73, Martin DM4iM

Re: no greeting message

Rob Janssen
Martin wrote:

> Hello,
> i set up svxlink for a friend in V3 and experience a problem.
>
> I get
>
> Sat May  6 02:38:33 2017: ALSA lib
> pcm_dsnoop.c:612:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
>
> There is no greeting message in my headphones when i connect it via
> Network, but after a while it says 'timeout'

That does not look like a basic setup.  You are trying some trick with dsnoop.
Probably you have copied some recipe you found but have not followed all
required steps.   (e.g. put something in /etc/asound.conf)

Re: no greeting message

Martin
Rob, thanks for the reply.

The setup is a HamServerPi, with the sd-card that comes packaged with
the kit.
I put together two of them, the first one for DM0WHM-L runs ok. The 2nd
one for V31HQ shows this message when starting svxlink.
I did not  - as far as i'm aware of - anything different on kit #2.

Is the soundcard chip broken?

Am 06.05.2017 um 09:00 schrieb Rob Janssen:

> Martin wrote:
>> Hello,
>> i set up svxlink for a friend in V3 and experience a problem.
>>
>> I get
>>
>> Sat May  6 02:38:33 2017: ALSA lib
>> pcm_dsnoop.c:612:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
>>
>> There is no greeting message in my headphones when i connect it via
>> Network, but after a while it says 'timeout'
>>

> That does not look like a basic setup.  You are trying some trick with dsnoop.
> Probably you have copied some recipe you found but have not followed all
> required steps.   (e.g. put something in /etc/asound.conf)
>
> Rob

Ohne CW ist es nur CB..

73, Martin DM4iM

Re: no greeting message

Martin
I should have said that the only changes i made were store username and
password, set Default_Lang etc. to make svxlink run. No tricks with the
sound. I'm more or less a plug n play guy.

Am 06.05.2017 um 09:00 schrieb Rob Janssen:

> Martin wrote:
>> Hello,
>> i set up svxlink for a friend in V3 and experience a problem.
>>
>> I get
>>
>> Sat May  6 02:38:33 2017: ALSA lib
>> pcm_dsnoop.c:612:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
>>
>> There is no greeting message in my headphones when i connect it via
>> Network, but after a while it says 'timeout'
>>

> That does not look like a basic setup.  You are trying some trick with dsnoop.
> Probably you have copied some recipe you found but have not followed all
> required steps.   (e.g. put something in /etc/asound.conf)
>
> Rob

Ohne CW ist es nur CB..

73, Martin DM4iM

Re: no greeting message

Martin wrote:

> Rob, thanks for the reply.
>
> The setup is a HamServerPi, with the sd-card that comes packaged with
> the kit.
> I put together two of them, the first one for DM0WHM-L runs ok. The 2nd
> one for V31HQ shows this message when starting svxlink.
> I did not  - as far as i'm aware of - anything different on kit #2.
>
> Is the soundcard chip broken?

I am not familiar with the configuration of that system but the error message you provide
cannot be analyzed without much more information, including the ALSA configuration
and svxlink configuration.  You will have to debug it step-by-step, using commands
like "cat /proc/asound/cards", "aplay -L" etc to analyze the ALSA config and see how
it matches with the svxlink config.
Also, there must be some special requirement which caused the author to go this
complicated route via dsnoop instead of just using the default svxlink configuration
that accesses the soundcard directly.  I have no idea what that requirement is, so it
is difficult to say what is going on.