play courtesy tone

Adam Arzani, IK4NZD
I ask if you can activate a courtesy tone towards the radio side when the Internet side is connected, so notify the radio users that someone is connected.

How can I activate it?

In EchoLink there was the function "play courtesy tone" and our users liked it very much.
Thank you

‘73 de Adam, IK4NZD

Mail priva di virus. www.avast.com

Re: play courtesy tone

Rob Janssen
Adam Arzani, IK4NZD wrote:
I ask if you can activate a courtesy tone towards the radio side when the Internet side is connected, so notify the radio users that someone is connected.

How can I activate it?

In EchoLink there was the function "play courtesy tone" and our users liked it very much.
Thank you

It should be there by default.  Maybe you missed some step during installation?  Such action is performed in
TCL scripts that are normally installed in /usr/share/svxlink/events.d

Re: play courtesy tone

Adam Arzani, IK4NZD
We did the full install and I think we did not lose anything.
We have the 1.5.99.8 version with all necessary files.
Svxlink activation sends RGR SOUND on the radio at the end of each message.
We are interested in the RGR SOUND only if the node is connected from the internet side.
In the folder events.d there are various files. tcl, but in all these files (logic.tcl or repeaterlogic.tcl) I find commands for the RGR SOUND always on.
If I'm wrong, please tell me how to do it.
Thank you

Adam Arzani, IK4NZD wrote:
We did the full install and I think we did not lose anything.
We have the 1.5.99.8 version with all necessary files.
Svxlink activation sends RGR SOUND on the radio at the end of each message.
We are interested in the RGR SOUND only if the node is connected from the internet side.
In the folder events.d there are various files. tcl, but in all these files (logic.tcl or repeaterlogic.tcl) I find commands for the RGR SOUND always on.
If I'm wrong, please tell me how to do it.

This procedure in Echolink.tcl is doing what you request:

#
# Executed when a transmission from an EchoLink station is starting
# or stopping
#   rx   - 1 if receiving or 0 if not
#   call - The callsign of the remote station
#
#
proc is_receiving {rx call} {
  if {$rx == 0} {
    playTone 1000 100 100;
  }
}

Maybe your problem is that recently this procedure got an extra parameter (the callsign)
and you did not update the scripts or you made a copy in the local subdirectory and did not
update the customized routine.  In fact when updating svxlink you should always check if any TCL
routines that you customized are affected in this way.   Reduce the impact by only copying those
routines that you are actually modifying from the distributed file to the file in local.  Don't copy
the entire file, only the top and bottom parts that define the namespace, and the variables and
functions you need to modify.   Even then, you need to modify the parameter list when it changes.

Besides, of course you need to modify the snd_rgr_sound routine so it does not send a tone.

Re: play courtesy tone

Adam Arzani, IK4NZD
Hi Rob.
Ours was a new installation performed 15 days ago by downloading all the complete package.
In the URecholink.tcl file in fact there is the string that you tell me

#
# executed when a transmission from an EchoLink station is starting
# or stopping
# RX-1 if receiving or 0 if not
# Call-the callsign of the remote station
#
#
Proc is_receiving {Rx Call} {
If {$ Rx = = 0} {
Playtone 1000 100 100;
}
}

Unfortunately, however, on our system does not work, I have no RGR_SOUND on the radio channel if the node has an active connection over the Internet.
Practically, whoever listens via radio has no difference if the node is connected or disconnected....
Thank you

‘73 de Adam, IK4NZD

Re: play courtesy tone

Adam Arzani, IK4NZD
Hello everyone.
To clarify, the command we would like to have on Svxlink is the one explained below in the instructions of EchoLink.
Of course we would....

Play Activity Reminder every n sec: If you are running a repeater link, select this option to have echolink to play a brief tone in between overs on the local link periodically while a station is connected.  This tone serves as a reminder to stations engaged in a local QSO that at least one station is (still) connected to the link, and thus to leave a longer pause between overs to allow the remote station to break in.  To use a custom WAV file instead of the default tone, select a custom signal for activity reminder on the Signals tab.

Meanwhile, modifying in ECHOLINK.TCL

Proc is_receiving {Rx Call} {
Puts "is_receiving $ RX $ call";
If {$ Rx = = 0} {
Playtone 1000 100 100;
}
}

With the addition of the line
Puts "is_receiving $ RX $ call";

We have a radio side beep only when you close a message that arrives from the Internet, but still does not equal the command of EchoLink.
It was possible to fix it.....

Thank you

Adam Arzani, IK4NZD wrote:
[...]

Your requirement is different every time you send a message!
Remember svxlink is not "the Linux version of Windows echolink", it is a completely different program.
Features can be very different between these programs.

However, it is possible to do almost everything by writing TCL functions and calling them on the events in svxlink.
You can also add functions that will be called every minute.

Using this mechanism, we have added lots of custom functionality to svxlink.
I advise you to study this and write functions for your own purpose.  Use functions, one or two global variables,
and the provided primitives like playTone and playMsg.
It is hamspirit to do your own experiments and learn from it.  And you can do it like you really want it.

Re: play courtesy tone

Adam Arzani, IK4NZD
I apologize for my mistake in the first request.
The command that would interest us is the one related to the EchoLink command

Play activity Reminder every n sec

We are aware that Svxlink is not echolink, rather we are convinced that Svxlink is better...... but we would like to have some minor changes that unfortunately we are unable to develop in Tcl files.
Thanks for the help and still apologies for my mistake.
‘73 de Adam, IK4NZD