recording TX/RX audio with recordStart/recordStop

recording TX/RX audio with recordStart/recordStop

Josh Housey-2
Dear All,

I have been trying to play around with the
"recordStart"
function that is available. I am trying to use it
along with
"recordStop" to create a automated recording of TX/RX
like the Windows Echolink program has.

So far, I have been able to get it working by putting
the
"recordStart" in the part of Logic.tcl that is
"called" when the
program starts. This could work if you are not going
to close the
program, but after time, the file will keep on
growing. However, if
you do something to the file, it will stop recording
all together. I
don't know if you could put a statement to indicate
that after a
certain time, close it and reactivate the recording
once again. But, I am not sure that
will be done as it is called at the beginning of the
program and will
not be called again.

The next possible place that I thought of putting this
is where in
SimplexLogic.tcl/Logic.tcl where it indicates when the
"squelch" is
open/closed. I can more than likely putting something
in there like:

"If squelch is open, recordStart <file> and then if
squelch is closed,
recordStop." That would be sufficient, but you
probably can't do
anything with dates/times with this.

If you have any input, that would be appreciated. I
was going to look for suggestions on how/if this can
be done otherwise I will probably do a hardware

The main reason for doing the automated record is kind
of a "monitor" for my repeater to see if develops any
problems, etc. This would be an
easy approach to doing this as it is always on the
repeater and can do this without any hardware
solutions and maybe slightly easier to manage. I know
of a
hardware solution that would do a "VOX" recording that
is both connected to the repeater's speaker and then
to a record to do this.

If you have any input, that would be appreciated. I
think this can be done but it is a matter of figuring
out the right "code" to do this. I have a pretty good
idea of where it should do and what it should be done,
but it is a matter of inserting the right code to do
this.

73
Josh, AB9FT

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: recording TX/RX audio with recordStart/recordStop

Tobias Blomberg
On Saturday 20 May 2006 21:31, Josh Housey wrote:

> Dear All,
>

> I have been trying to play around with the
> "recordStart"
> function that is available. I am trying to use it
> along with
> "recordStop" to create a automated recording of TX/RX
> like the Windows Echolink program has.
>
> So far, I have been able to get it working by putting
> the
> "recordStart" in the part of Logic.tcl that is
> "called" when the
> program starts. This could work if you are not going
> to close the
> program, but after time, the file will keep on
> growing. However, if
> you do something to the file, it will stop recording
> all together.

I don't know what you mean by "do something to the file" but I guess you mean
renaming or removing it. Whatever you do to the file, SvxLink will keep
recording to the originally opened file. The name of the file is not
important after the file has been opened. The name is just a way to get a
reference to the file. Even if you change the name, it's still the same file
so SvxLink will continue to write to the new file name. This is just how the
operating system handles files.

It's the same if you remove the file. You will only remove the file name
referring to it. From SvxLink's point of view, the file still exists.

So recording should not stop even though it might look like it has. If it
really does, you've found a bug.

> don't know if you could put a statement to indicate
> that after a
> certain time, close it and reactivate the recording
> once again. But, I am not sure that
> will be done as it is called at the beginning of the
> program and will
> not be called again.
>
> The next possible place that I thought of putting this
> is where in
> SimplexLogic.tcl/Logic.tcl where it indicates when the
> "squelch" is
> open/closed. I can more than likely putting something
> in there like:
>
> "If squelch is open, recordStart <file> and then if
> squelch is closed,
> recordStop." That would be sufficient, but you
> probably can't do
> anything with dates/times with this.
>
> If you have any input, that would be appreciated. I
> was going to look for suggestions on how/if this can
> be done otherwise I will probably do a hardware

I would use the Logic::addTimerTickSubscriber function to register a function
that is called one time every whole minute. Have a look at the
SimplexLogic::startup function how do do this. For example, check in this
function for a whole hour (minute == 0). Have a look at
Logic::checkPeriodicIdentify how to read the time.

Try to modify the Logic.tcl file as little as possible. Create your own file
and do as much as possible in there. This will make SvxLink upgrading easier.

Note that the recording function only can handle one recording at a time. This
mean that you will not be able to use the voice mail module at the same time
as your recording is active.

Good luck!

73 de SM0SVX / Tobias